Skip to comments.St. Paul couple try to save flat-screen TV as apartment burns
Posted on 03/06/2014 10:46:04 AM PST by PaulCruz2016
Two people were hospitalized Sunday after they tried to save their flat-screen TV before leaving their burning St. Paul apartment.
Firefighters were called to the six-unit apartment building at 624 N. Chatsworth St., near North Lexington Parkway and Interstate 94, just before 3 p.m., according to St. Paul Fire Marshal Steve Zaccard.
He said when firefighters entered the basement apartment, a man and a woman were disconnecting the TV in an attempt to take it out with them.
The room already had filled with thick smoke, he said.
Firefighters had to tell them to leave the TV behind and get to safety, Zaccard said.
The two were treated for smoke inhalation at Regions Hospital, he said.
"They were doing the wrong thing," Zaccard said. "If you can't fight the fire, get out and call the fire department. Don't grab your belongings. ... They can be replaced. Your life can't be."
(Excerpt) Read more at twincities.com ...
Own-life risking firefighters should have just saved the TV first and foremost, since this is what the owners wanted.
Big shock why Democrats rule here?
almost as sad as the teen who died trying to recover cell phond from railroad tracks...
They left out the most important thing in the whole story:
What SIZE was the flat screen TV?
ya know, if you just leave Darwinism alone, it will do its job...
That makes all the difference in the world as to whether it’s worth risking your life to save it...
Sometimes you need to thin the herd. A missed opportunity. ;)
It was a SMART TV.. They didn’t want it to suffer.
Or whether it was one of those new 4K sets which has precious little to watch in 4K yet but is a nod to the future. Or whether they had insurance or not. Loads of factors we have yet to consider. :)
However, just to play devil's advocate, it can be argued that the size of the TV really is relevant to the story because it helps narrow down the price that the people put on their own safety.
And I don't know about you, but while I suppose it is possible there is a monetary price above which I'd be willing to risk burning to death in a house fire, I can assure you it is MUCH greater than the value of any television set currently on the market.
I'll risk my life for my family and friends, but a TV? That is absolutely insane.
We should have a little more compassion for those folks. Since more than half of the country are on 0stamps, there no telling how long it took them to sell them to buy that TV.
It’s probably the most valuable thing they had. Both in terms of money and intellect.
Leave the TV and miss American Idol? I don’t think so!
Is American Idol still on?
No , just running the country.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.