Skip to comments.Buildings Collapse After Explosion, Fire In East Harlem
Posted on 03/12/2014 8:05:35 AM PDT by Kartographer
Two buildings have collapsed after an explosion Wednesday morning in East Harlem. It happened around 9 a.m. on Park Avenue on 116th Street, the FDNY said. One of the buildings that collapsed had a piano repair shop with apartments above. The second building housed a church. Officials believe both buildings were 5-stories.
(Excerpt) Read more at newyork.cbslocal.com ...
Lots of links to live feeds here: http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3132365/posts
Any clue as to denomination?
It could be the beginning of a pattern in this city.
Blow up your building, get your insurance money, and get out of the city.
Three guesses, first five don’t count?
Just asking. Genuine curiosity on my part.
I’m guessing it was a small mosque.
One resident of an adjoining building stated to a Fox reporter that he and other neighbors smelled gas LAST NIGHT!!!!!
It seems that because their own gas lines were OK they felt safe.
According to the reporting - NYC gas lines have had similar incidents. Infrastructure taxes will be next.
If it was, even if collateral damage from gas explosion, we’ll likely never hear it from the media.
It was a Spanish Christian church.
Funny, I was thinking the very same thing.
Hence my question. That part of Harlem was heavily Hispanic when I lived in that general area.
So it wasn’t what my normal thought is.
Never know here in NY.
Consecutive paragraphs from the article. They don't even know if there are bodies in the rubble, but they have already "ruled out terrorism."
I blame fracking.
Clearly, mayor de Blasio hates black people. Someone contact Kanye West.
He (or any of the neighbors) could have avoided this by calling FDNY. What a bunch of maroons.
Con Ed had been called out earlier in the morning because of a strong gas smell in the area.
I don’t think it was foul play in this case.
You have no idea. One time when I got home, there was a strong smell of gas in my building so I called the fire dept immediately and than went to alert my neighbors. One of them said, “yes, I’ve been smelling this all day...”
People are so darn passive. It turned out that somebody had done some on-the-cheap work installing a gas stove on a lower floor and of course had done it badly so that at that point, the entire apartment, which was vacant, had filled up with gas. The lady in question lived right above this apartment, and in fact, when she opened her door, I could smell an even stronger smell of gas than in the hallway.
I swear, sometimes I don’t know what’s the matter with people.
Here it comes.. wait for it.. now!
“Terrorism is not suspected at this time.”
Gas leak. Been a hard winter.
Or they are clearing the buildings to build a mosque.
No, that is called news dumping.
That is why gas stove installations I leave to a pro.
Second it. With having a hard winter, gas heating demands go up.
Well, there is that possibility too.
Pipeline near where I live always has a strong smell of gas around it.
The response when we called was, “Yeah, we’ll get to it.”
They never checked it.
It still smells of gas when you drive by.
Cannot even count on pros to do a job right. In my neighborhood, on the outskirts of Fredericksburg, VA drywall folks used a gas heater to dry the work they had been doing. We felt the explosion from over 200 yds away. The majority of the house was leveled and debris drifted down in our back yard.
Chuck Rangel says its his peoples 9/11. Prolly thinks a cracka crashed a plane into the buildings.
Bought a new house and as the movers opened the door I smelled gas and closed it. Called the fire department immediately - they found the stove was leaking gas and shut it off permanently. Had to buy a new one.
Apparently, the seller hadn’t noticed or fiddled with it.
(update on the NYC fire - two people dead - 17 injured)
NYC landlords leave gas installation to whoever does it cheapest. We had Albanians doing ours...maybe they didn’t have gas stoves in Albania?
Terrible. I rented an apt in San Francisco years ago and as soon as I opened the door, a cloud of gas came out. The FD came and shut the whole thing down and told us we were lucky nobody was smoking (this was a long time ago) when we opened the door. The landlord had hired some total losers to paint the apartment, and in addition to doing a lousy job, they had knocked the gas cock on in the heater, which had no pilot light...
fyi explosion was next to metro north train tracks all service suspended into / out of GCT .
Poor commuters! It’s not going to be fun getting home tonight.
The police and Israeli security services have captured the alleged terrorist who tried to blow up three buildings in Armon HaNatziv in Jerusalem, in a mega attack in March.
Its now been revealed that he had tried to blow up a total of eight buildings in an attempted terror attack just 2 days before.
The man was identified as Aziz Musa Salam Awisat, age 49 and father of 6. Awisat holds Jerusalem Resident status. He lives in Jabal Mukaber.
Awisat admitted to police that after hearing of the gas explosion in Gilo that killed a family and destroyed a building, he was inspired to commit a terror attack that would do the same.
Awisat allegedly cut the gas pipes inside a total of eight buildings on February 28 and March 2, and lit a flame next to them, hoping it would set off a massive explosion, blowing up the buildings and everyone inside.
The gas leak was detected and the Jerusalem fire department evacuated the buildings in time.
it took me more than 4 emergency calls to Con Ed to finally get someone in that could locate the source as their gas sniffing machines did not detect what I was smelling. When the last emergency worker came in around 1AM,he smelled it the same as myself, without their little sniffer thing and traced it to a main and the meter and of course then verified it with the detector—maybe his was calibrated differently ? and then discovered high levles of CO2 and dismantled the gas boiler and hot water heater and turned off the gas from the street and of course it was in the middle of a cold snap.
not too many happy people doing without heat and hot water until the master plumber could get in and do the repairs and sign off all the forms.
I was shouting at the TV reporter to ask those folks who said they smelled gas last night.....”Ask them if they reported it LAST NIGHT!”
I think a GAS pro was needed; instead of a SPACKLING pro.
Sharpton will say ConEd didn’t check the gas lines because it’s in black Harlem. Or has he already claimed it?