Skip to comments.Gay rights groups press Obama for anti-discrimination order (for federal contractors)
Posted on 03/14/2014 7:10:08 PM PDT by markomalley
President Obama worked successfully to end discrimination against gays in the military and moved swiftly to implement a Supreme Court ruling protecting married gay couples from federal discrimination.
But gay rights advocates are upset about something he has not done that they say he could accomplish with a pen stroke: an executive order banning federal contractors from discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender identity.
Advocates say an order would provide employment protections for about 11 million workers who currently have none. Many of the nation's largest companies and 21 states, including California, already have policies or laws against sexual-orientation discrimination, but workers at many medium-sized companies in conservative states lack such a shield.
Graphic: Gay marriage chronology
"This is the single most important thing that President Obama can do on his own in his second term to eradicate discrimination from the workplace," said Ian Thompson, a legislative representative in the Washington office of the American Civil Liberties Union.
Precedent exists for such a move. In 1965, President Lyndon B. Johnson banned companies that do business with the federal government from racial discrimination in employment, hiring or promotions. The proposed ban on sexual-orientation discrimination is modeled after the Johnson-era order.
(Excerpt) Read more at latimes.com ...
Once he signs this off, and he will, that will impact a HUGE percentage of the businesses in this country (and, oh, by the way, outside of this country too...that will be really, really fun!)
How such an E.O. would be implemented would be through a Federal Acquisition Regulation clause. That clause will be part of the terms and conditions of every federal contract.
Naturally, some of you say, "so what? I don't do business with the government." Well, you may not...but you may do business with prime contractors.
Then the question is if the FAR clause will have to flow through...to subcontractors, only, or to include vendors, as well.
What a wonderful concept, living in the Union of Sodom and Armageddon.
More fascist tactics from the pinkshirts.
Gays are not tolerant any more than Muslims are dhimmis
I’m sure that our President will be more than willing to pen another executive order to keep his brethren happy.
A gay president protecting his own kind. No surprise there.
The world is boiling and all they are concern about Anal Sex.
It’s sad to say,’but I hate what this country has become.
A black female queer with a child from a previous marriage (single mother) - from back when she thought she was straight.
There'll be no firing her from anywhere for any reason.
And her kid is a brony!
I’d think some combination of level of folly combined with level of willingness to risk browning off American society to the point of bringing a huge backlash.
At some point even a camel in the tent becomes intolerable.
People who were willing to live and let live to people who shacked up on the Q.T. are now getting disgusted at how weirdness is winning the world. There does not seem to be any way to bribe off the “gay monster.” It can’t control itself.
Abraham’s arithmetic still applies, for now. No, there won’t be brimstone yet and it’s on account of those who really do fear and love God.
But rapture scenarios sound more and more imminent, just in my humble opinion.
agreed. it’s not my country anymore.
i just live within its boundaries (currently)
And it’s curious to me too. Maybe the prophesied prohibition on buying and selling without the mark of the beast is in fact not literally absolute in spite of the way it is put. That this is a generality that bespeaks an economy so dominated by the government that most commerce requires its imprimatur. People might still barter, but survival in that manner would be increasingly impractical, or at least viewed that way.
Catholics and evangelicals are going to have different reads on how this lays out in history. History itself will bear the answers to such questions. But the principles are the same.
You’re very right. There have been any number of Catholic fiction writers who have written apocalyptic novels over the years. Two of my favorites were Robert Hugh Benson (who wrote a remarkably prescient novel at the turn of the 20th century) and Michael O’Brien (whose Father Elijah series is an absolute classic). If you are interested in looking at the Benson book, I can send you a link to where you can download a free epub (as it’s out of copyright now).
But this type of thing is how they picture the “Mark of the Beast” going, rather than an actual physical imprint. If you look at it, the forehead can be viewed as representing your thought patterns and your right hand can be viewed as representing your productive work capacity (I’ve also seen folks say that it represents your physical power). If you take it metaphorically, it is actually far more powerful than if you assume a RFID, barcode, or other physical things that I’ve seen represented.
“You will think with the beast’s systems and you will work to further the beast’s objectives or you will not do trade”
Of course, this is not the religion forum, so I don’t want to get into a deep theological discussion, but I do think you bring up a good point that is, in my view, very theologically sound.
“Sexual orientation” has no protection under the Constitution; and no U.S. Supreme Court, nor other court, nor government agent/agency, fatwa can make that otherwise.
The closer Christ comes to me (and vice versa) the more integrated the picture I get appears.
I think as Christendom gets forced more and more into a corner, it will find a way to meld a communion between what used to be insuperable denominational barriers. There’s but a single church of Christ, and our present debates are only about just how God truly desires it to conduct itself. Too much of all segments of Christendom are engrossed in formalities, in “a form of religion which denies its power.” When the mystical side is looked to, that is seen ultimately to be the only side that does matter. Mysticism is too important to be left to mystics.
Try to tell that to the Obama crowd.
Who administers the country still matters. It’s a crying shame that Obama got even the lukewarm nod he did. Not because of his skin color, but the color of his politics. It is now an advanced form of Calvinball.
Extending my remark in my reply 14, above ...
That does not mean, you are prohibited from whatever experimentation with screwing up your life by selecting some orientation other than the Almighty’s design, but it does mean, that your choice is *your decision,* and you, not the people, nor our Constitution, nor our government, nor anybody but you, are responsible.
Well yes, the Constitution is not an iron prescription for banning every evil possible. It arose against a firm backdrop of Christian faith.
But it seems for all their ostensible hatred of moralizing, our dear liberal friends do a lot of it.
If you ever have a chance, let me sometime recommend to you to go attend a Byzantine liturgy (either a Greek Catholic, Ruthenian Catholic, Ukranian Catholic, Melkite, Greek Orthodox, or Russian Orthodox).
Before you go, read and study intently the first 12 chapters of the Book of Revelation (particularly Chapters 4 - 8). You may find yourself blown away by how much of the Book of Revelation is used throughout their liturgical worship.
(If you do, afterwards you may want to go to one of the liturgical ministers — either the priest or the deacon — and ask if they can break it down for you scripturally)
PLEASE NOTE: I am Roman Catholic. I am NOT suggesting that you go to one of our Masses...although the same elements are there, particularly in the old Latin Mass, there have been enough innovations in the past 500 years, where the references are a lot more subtle and may not stand out for you nearly as much.
Don’t get me wrong: I’m not suggesting that you convert. Not hardly.
But just to see, and understand, a liturgical worship according to a rite that is mostly unchanged for over 1,500 years and can be directly traced back to the apostles is a profound thing.
Now, if you live in an area where they have Oriental Christians, such as the Syriacs or Malankara, they actually celebrate a liturgy that is dated back to the first century, the Liturgy of St James, also known as the Qurbana. If you were particularly lucky, you might even be able to hear it celebrated in Aramaic.
The point is that with any of these Eastern Christian Churches, you can really see a connection between the Book of Revelation and the Liturgy.
A point that might be of interest.
Orthodox is known for deep mysticism.
In any Christian congregation that shows sincere signs of divine life there will be a mystical side. You just don’t get hope and joy, or even the admonition of God, from a service club.
I go to a Baptist congregation. They have their own mystical emphases. After all, a pretty stern amount of faith in the supernatural is needed in order to stick with popular young earth theories. But it becomes pretty obvious that secular science doesn’t have anywhere near a comprehensive, let alone exclusive, handle on what matters. It’s a servant, and if the master changes the rules it can’t just stomp its feet and scoff. I tend to be agnostic about the theories, but affirm that the accounts can be taken straight the way they are written.
Never in my life have I been asked during an employment interview if I was gay. The government contractors wouldn’t know someone was gay unless they volunteer the information. These people want all these “laws” so they can shove it in everyone’s face. No pun intended.
The Health Risks of gay sex.
20. Then the LORD said, "The outcry against Sodom and Gomorrah is so great and their sin so grievous
21. that I will go down and see if what they have done is as bad as the outcry that has reached me. If not, I will know."
4. Before they had gone to bed, all the men from every part of the city of Sodom--both young and old--surrounded the house.
5. They called to Lot, "Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us so that we can have sex with them."
6. Lot went outside to meet them and shut the door behind him
7. and said, "No, my friends. Don't do this wicked thing.
Isaiah 3:9 The look on their faces testifies against them; they parade their sin like Sodom; they do not hide it. Woe to them! They have brought disaster upon themselves.
2 Peter 2:13b Their idea of pleasure is to carouse in broad daylight. They are blots and blemishes, reveling in their pleasures while they feast with you.
49. "`Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy.
50. They were haughty and did detestable things before me. Therefore I did away with them as you have seen.
1. But there were also false prophets among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the sovereign Lord who bought them--bringing swift destruction on themselves.
2. Many will follow their shameful ways and will bring the way of truth into disrepute.
3. In their greed these teachers will exploit you with stories they have made up. Their condemnation has long been hanging over them, and their destruction has not been sleeping.
4. For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but sent them to hell, putting them into gloomy dungeons to be held for judgment;
5. if he did not spare the ancient world when he brought the flood on its ungodly people, but protected Noah, a preacher of righteousness, and seven others;
6. if he condemned the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah by burning them to ashes, and made them an example of what is going to happen to the ungodly;
7. and if he rescued Lot, a righteous man, who was distressed by the filthy lives of lawless men
8. (for that righteous man, living among them day after day, was tormented in his righteous soul by the lawless deeds he saw and heard)--
9. if this is so, then the Lord knows how to rescue godly men from trials and to hold the unrighteous for the day of judgment, while continuing their punishment.
10. This is especially true of those who follow the corrupt desire of the sinful nature and despise authority. Bold and arrogant, these men are not afraid to slander celestial beings;
11. yet even angels, although they are stronger and more powerful, do not bring slanderous accusations against such beings in the presence of the Lord.
12. But these men blaspheme in matters they do not understand. They are like brute beasts, creatures of instinct, born only to be caught and destroyed, and like beasts they too will perish.
13. They will be paid back with harm for the harm they have done. Their idea of pleasure is to carouse in broad daylight. They are blots and blemishes, reveling in their pleasures while they feast with you.
But there IS hope!!!
1 Corinthians 6:9-11
9. Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived:
Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders
10. nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.
11. And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.
If you could NOT change, you would be in most pitiful shape...
When the Lawrence v. Texas decision came down from the gods in black dresses, we were repeatedly told that there IS no "homosexual agenda". Sure seem to be a lot of hissy faggots who are checking items off a "demands" list.