Skip to comments.Eleven Hate-Crime Hoaxes: Bogus baiting, retracted rape, and homophobic hokum.
Posted on 03/25/2014 10:21:20 AM PDT by SeekAndFind
While returning to a dorm room last month, a black student at Grand Valley State University in Michigan was greeted by racist graffiti on a dry erase board on the door complete with a hanged stick figure labeled black. But on Friday, the Grand Valley Police Department reported that the owner of the board was the very person responsible for the racist remarks.
This incident at Grand Valley State is just the latest of many instances over the past few years in which people claim to be the victims of hate crimes they inflicted on themselves or completely fabricated.
Perhaps attempting some misguided publicity stunt or perhaps trying to make others see hate where there is none, these people have gone to great lengths to claim theyve been targeted. Heres a look back at some of the most recent and egregious hate-crime hoaxes:
1. At Hofstra University in 2009, a freshman girl claimed she was gang-raped by five men in a dormitory, only to recant her claims when a video of the sexual encounter surfaced showing she was not forced at all. Four men were arrested before she finally admitted she was lying.
2. Meghan Lanker-Simons of the University of Wyoming anonymously posted fake rape threats to herself on Facebook in 2013 in a case that got national media attention.When police investigated the incident, they found substantial evidence that Lanker-Simons posted the fake rape threat from her own personal computer while it was in her possession.
3. A little over a year ago at Oberlin College, two students conducted a massive series of racist stunts such as putting up a Nazi flag, passing out anti-Islamic fliers, and putting a whites only sign above a water fountain. After getting classes cancelled for a Day of Solidarity, one of the students said that the entire thing was a joke in order to get an overreaction.
4. In one of the most famous hate-crime hoaxes of late, Crystal Mangum falsely accused three Duke lacrosse players of raping her in 2006. Following the allegations, the Duke lacrosse team was suspended for two games; the coach, Mike Pressler, was forced to resign; and the three accused were arrested and vilified by the national media. The charges were eventually dropped and Mike Nifong, the corrupt Durham County district attorney, was removed, disbarred, and sued into bankruptcy. In November 2013 Mangum was convicted of murdering her boyfriend.
5. Last year, a lesbian waitress in Connecticut, Dayna Morales, claimed that a couple wrote on a receipt, Im sorry but I cannot tip because I dont agree with your lifestyle & how you live your life. After Morales gained national media attention and received thousands of dollars in donations that she promised she would give to Wounded Warriors, the accused couple revealed that they wrote no such note and actually left a rather generous 20-percent tip. Morales was exposed as having a history of lying, and Wounded Warriors said that they had never received a donation from Morales.
6. Oprah Winfrey whirled up a media frenzy last year after accusing a Swiss sales assistant of racism. Winfrey said the saleswoman told her that you dont want to see this bag because Winfrey is black. It is too expensive. You cannot afford it. The sales assistant felt powerless caught in the media cyclone, as she put it, and flatly denied having ever told Winfrey she could not afford the item. I dont know why she is making these accusations, the saleslady said. She is so powerful and I am just a shop girl.
7. Last fall Vassar College was struck by a string of hateful remarks spray-painted on student residences, including Fuck N*ggers and Hey Tranny, Know Your Place. A few days after the universitys Bias Incident Response Team reported that multiple offenses had occurred on campus, the university announced that the perpetrators were actually two members of the Bias Incident Response Team.
8. Two gay parents were throwing a birthday party for their child earlier this year when they received a note from a homophobic parent saying her child would not attend the party because she would not subject my innocent son to your lifestyle. The media were outraged until it was revealed that there were no gay parents, no allegedly homophobic parent, and no birthday party. In fact, the entire spectacle was a joke created by a New York radio show in order to spur a healthy discourse on a highly passionate topic, as they explained.
9. In 2011, two lesbians told authorities that someone had spray-painted Kill the Gay on their garage and left a noose at their door. They said it was probably the Homeowners Association retaliating against over a dispute about their dog. However, the FBI investigated and found out that the women had spray-painted their garage themselves and likewise had placed the noose on their own doorstep. They were charged with criminal mischief and false reporting.
10. Joseph Baken claimed that three men had beaten him after he came out as a homosexual at a bar. A picture of his bruised faced was widely circulated online, and Baken was held up as a victim of homophobia. Soon after his short rise to fame, a video surfaced showing Baken attempting a backflip on a paved street. He struck his face on the curb exactly where the injuries were in his viral picture. Soon after, he pled guilty to filing a false police report.
11. Alexandra Pennell, a student at Central Connecticut State University, reported that she had received an anti-gay message under her door. As an apparent target of hate, she spoke at an anti-hate rally for hundreds of students. But when the police tried, through a surveillance camera outside her room, tried to find out who it was, they found that the camera had been disabled. After setting up a hidden camera, they discovered Pennell was the one writing her own hate letters. She did not admit it until the police showed her the video.
Alec Torres is a William F. Buckley Fellow at the National Review Institute.
Typical dimoKKKRATS. They just make stuff up to further their agenda.
And don’t forget the Matthew Shepherd non-gay story and theatrical drama, etc.
there needs to be felony jail time and large fines for people faking hate crimes, and expanded penalties if they target a certain actual person or persons. it’s the only way to stop these wicked, hateful, twisted people.
I keep two folders related to hate crimes 1. “Hate Crimes” AND 2. “Hate Crimes, Not”.
Let’s not forget the original Queen of Hoax, Tawana Brawley & her pimp Al Sharpton.
Tawana Brawley ...
Deuteronomy 19 (KJV):
18 And the judges shall make diligent inquisition: and, behold, if the witness be a false witness, and hath testified falsely against his brother;
19 Then shall ye do unto him, as he had thought to have done unto his brother: so shalt thou put the evil away from among you.
20 And those which remain shall hear, and fear, and shall henceforth commit no more any such evil among you.
How about “Charlie” Rogers, a Lincoln Nebraska lesbian that said some rednecks broke into her home and carved anti-lesbian words into her arm. Another hoax.
This is just the tip of an iceberg of false claims, many of which spurred a flurry of legislation along with public sympathy. This is reprehensible! And, yet, we who believe that God ordained marriage between a man and a woman...Genesis 2:24...are condemned as hate mongers and bigots. It would be easy to become angry with stories like these and the others we have suffered through these past couple decades, but that is not God’s way. To become like them (hating the one who disagrees with you) is to sin and grieve God’s Holy Spirit. We are to be above them, showing love as much as we are allowed, and to pray that their eyes are opened to the Truth.
In this violent, ungodly world we are to be the light-bearers, the standard-bearers and God’s representatives. When our vertical relationship with God is right, we cannot hate our fellow man, regardless of their treatment of us. We are to be right with them, as much as they allow...not holding a grudge for their offenses against us, having a forgiving spirit. That is not always easy, as some are in-your-face nasty. But God’s Word is still true and we are its representatives for its veracity. He is faithful to keep us and help us to do the right thing in those situations.
I feel sorry for those who have innocently been indoctrinated through school and those who have been abused as children and feel they are what they don’t have to be. For those who are purposely indoctrinating and abusing others, Hell hath no fire that will burn out before they get their just recompense, unless they first repent. I don’t believe that God wants us to be like the Westboro Baptist Church. That is hateful and they don’t even seem to believe that sinners can be forgiven for sexual sin, so one has to wonder about their own salvation. What WERE they saved to? Maybe only to the leader, which is no salvation at all.
Personally, I believe that we will not repent as a nation, nor turn back to God in any significant way, and judgment is being poured out even now...as a warning of the greater one that is waiting. Sort of like God warned Cain, that sin was crouching at the door to overcome him unless he mastered it, instead. Which he did not. We are not heeding any warnings. We are railing against God as a tyrant, and in the meantime, wasting any efforts to come to repentance or show remorse. This generation is like it was in Noah’s day, before the flood. We MUST prepare, and soon. I am not a pre-tribber. I believe that God was quite clear when gave us the prophecies. They were not to be “unlocked” until “that time” came. I think we are there now. I believe we will be raptured at the 6th seal of Revelation, when the signs that Jesus predicted we would see at His coming appears, and before the 7th seal is broken, which begins the trumpet and bowls-—which ARE the wrath of God upon the unbelieving left on the earth. The previous seals are the works of anti-christ, his persecutions of the child (Israel) and the Christians.
Many thanks to Al Sharpton, Jessie Jackson, and their ilk.
She had a movie coming out. Winfrey's pulled similar stunts before to attract attention to her "artistic" endeavors.