Skip to comments.HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius Resigning (Confirmation)
Posted on 04/10/2014 4:12:12 PM PDT by RoosterRedux
Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius will announce Friday she is stepping down, ABC News has confirmed.
The president will nominate Sylvia Burwell, director of the Office of Management and Budget, to replace her.
Sebelius approached President Obama about a month ago and asked to step down after the health care sign-up numbers were released, two senior administration officials and a confidante of Sebelius' told ABC News.
The White House always worried about finding someone to win confirmation at HHS, but Burwell was overwhelmingly confirmed as budget director with a vote of 96-0 about a year ago.
Earlier today Sebelius was on Capitol Hill to announce that 400,000 additional people have chosen insurance plans through the Obamacare exchanges as of this week, raising the total number of enrollees to approximately 7.5 million.
As of this week, 400,000 additional Americans have signed up and we expect that number to continue to grow, Sebelius said at a Senate Finance Committee hearing Thursday.
Last week, the administration announced 7.1 million people had enrolled as of April 1.
Sebelius, a former governor of Kansas, was among Obama's earliest supporters back in 2008. Her endorsement -- over Hillary Clinton -- came at a critical time in his first race for the White House.
(Excerpt) Read more at abcnews.go.com ...
Is Lois Lerner the new HHS head?
Time to file charges against this lying POS
If O-care is finally on track and doing better, then why is she leaving? More revelations to come?
Boo hoo, it’s not fun any more!
Per the article...”The president will nominate Sylvia Burwell, director of the Office of Management and Budget, to replace her.”
this is so sad! all of my hamsters are crying.
Leaked a day early. Was to be part of the Friday news dump.
Ex-Clinton aide to tell of Foster `burn bag - Senate Whitewater hearings continue with focus on death of deputy counsel
The Washington Times - Tuesday, July 25, 1995
Author: Jerry Seper, THE WASHINGTON TIMES
A former White House aide has told congressional investigators she was ordered to have a bag of documents burned after they were retrieved from a White House suite housing the office of Vincent W. Foster Jr. on the night of the deputy counsels July 1993 death.
Sylvia M. Mathews said in a deposition that she was aware some of the documents in the bag were from the Foster office but that White House Counsel Bernard W. Nussbaum decided the papers were not relevant and ordered them destroyed.
Ms. Mathews, a White House special assistant at the time, now serves as chief of staff at the Treasury Department.
As the second week of special Senate Whitewater committee hearings gets under way today, Ms. Mathews is expected to be grilled by Republicans on the special committee - led by Sen. Lauch Faircloth of North Carolina - about the burn bag she retrieved from a cleaning crew after Mr. Fosters body was found in a Northern Virginia park.
The special committee also will ask other witnesses, including former top Clinton adviser David Watkins, why a White House aide with no security clearance was sent to search the Foster office the night of his death while U.S. Park Police were barred because of national security reasons.
Its clear the committee will be looking to question White House aides very carefully on what happened to that bag, and why there were national security concerns about Park Police officers entering the office but no similar concerns about White House staff, said a source close to the committee.
Ms. Mathews, according to a summary of her committee deposition, told Senate investigators that after hearing no note was found with Mr. Fosters body on July 20, 1993, she retrieved the burn bag taken by a cleaning crew from the White House counsels suite.
She said she took it to the office of Roy Neel, then the White House deputy chief of staff.
She told investigators Mr. Nussbaum was immediately notified that the bag had been recovered; he decided that because it had been not in Mr. Fosters office, but in the White House counsels suite, it should be burned because of the sensitivity of the documents.
Ms. Mathews said she was aware that some of the documents in the bag were credit-card receipts from Mr. Foster. It was not clear yesterday, however, what specific papers from the Foster office would have been in the bag.
She also told investigators that Dee Dee Myers, White House press secretary at the time, was present when the bag was turned over to Mr. Neel.
Long overdue departure. I’m sure Sylvia Burwell will do an equally horrible job.
I’d be pleased if she were resigning because of a pending stay in a federal penitentuary.
isnt Richard Simmons looking for a new job?
Another RAT abandoning a sinking ship?
Now she’ll have more time to make that Dalmatian coat she always wanted.
No the fly over country wyman is being replaced by a Hillbilly wyman.
We’ll have to see what news is released tomorrow afternoon about the true enrollment figures.
Leftists always have a Plan B. Sebelius was nothing more than a fall gal.