Skip to comments.US Announces New Sanctions Against Russia
Posted on 04/28/2014 6:37:12 PM PDT by wetphoenix
(Reuters) - The following are brief descriptions of the 17 Russian companies against which the United States imposed sanctions on Monday over Russia's role in the Ukraine crisis.
* Aquanika - A producer of bottled water and 100 percent subsidiary of Volga Group (see below), which is controlled by Gennady Timchenko, a long-standing ally of Russian President Vladimir Putin. Timchenko was placed on a U.S. sanctions list in March. It was founded in 2007 and has production facilities in the Nizhny Novgorod region with annual capacity of up to 500 million liters.
* Avia Group - The company, founded in 2006, develops infrastructure and provides services for aircraft maintenance at Moscow's Sheremetyevo international airport. Volga Group has a 74 percent stake.
* Avia Group Nord - Provides services for private jets at St Petersburg's Pulkovo airport, including ground handling, flight operations support and fuelling. Volga Group has a 70 percent stake.
* Zest - A leasing company based in St Petersburg. Provides a range of services including real estate, vehicle, equipment and business jet leasing. It was described as a 100 percent subsidiary of Bank Rossiya, which was hit by U.S. sanctions in March, in Bank Rossiya's 2013 financial report.
* InvestCapitalbank - A bank, established in 1993, based in Russia's Volga region and controlled by the Rotenberg brothers Boris and Arkady. The Rotenbergs, linked to big contracts on gas pipelines and at the Sochi Olympics, were named on the U.S. sanctions list in March.
* Sobinbank - Moscow-based bank, founded in 1990 and controlled by Bank Rossiya. Visa Inc and MasterCard Inc stopped providing services for payment transactions for clients at Bank Rossiya and Sobinbank after the March sanctions.
* STG (Stroytransgaz) Group - A construction holding company controlled by Timchenko. Stroytransgaz plans to build the European section of
(Excerpt) Read more at news.yahoo.com ...
Btw, welcome to FR !
When do we stop laughing? Our allies are not laughing.
So only politically connected businesses are allowed to do business with Russia.
SANCTIONS!!! OMG. Pooty poot is quivering in his quiet room.
Where O Where will we get our bottled water....
i have an idea,why don’t we just stop shipping American Made Vodka and Toilet Paper to Russia, yah! that will make them go nuts!
I wonder if the Obama administration has gotten angry enough to use a bold font yet. Putin should be very careful before Obama gets so mad he uses all caps and maybe even an exclamation point or 2.
Whoopdie frickin DOO!!!
To say nothing about sending a Strongly worded LETTER!!!
I thought not.
HEY what wrong with Dove soap LOL!
My family been using Dove soap for years and years including my 78 year old retired truck driver father
Unless Han Blix got away from Chia Pet sharks from Team America the movie
We will sell no shirts to Putin.
I own that. Gotta go back and watch it.
All but the puppet sex...
See what I mean LOL!
Especially almost Oscar winning song I am so roaney
I get my shower supplies from all the hotels I stay at...
Why no Gazprom? It’s 10% of Russia’s GDP.
Was that supposed to be “I’m so ronery?”
Go back and read what you wrote ;-)
can we sell the unsold 87 Million Obama Plates and 98 Million Unsold “Yoko Ono’s Greatest Hits” to Russia? I am sure we can work out a package deal.
None of these companies have accounts abroad or do any significant business in America.
If they can’t trade with the West, its a minor inconvenience and in no way will the new sanctions change Russian government policies.
Today’s announcement only underlines the lack of influence Washington and its allies have over Moscow’s actions.
Wow, mac daddy must have received his shipment of depends diapers so the stains don’t show through went he meat with Putin.
Yea that should give him some backbone, extra wide red markers and a fresh supply of depends diapers.
The little queen in the White House would never do anything so brave :)
Has this escalated yet to forcing Russia to go to bed without milk and cookies?
Maybe they could just open the Moscow phone directory, throw some darts and sanction random people. Toss in a stern warning complete with bolded words in the press release and perhaps a new, new red line and I’m sure Putin will see the light and quit being so mean.
Russians are just shivering in their panties.
Obama is a fool. He is putting Putin in a corner, the only exit of which is war.
Putin will take over all Eastern Ukraine, the US will do nothing except vent, and refugees will flee into Western Europe.
Hell of a saction right there. Like giving your grandmother a 2am curfew.
For the next round of sanctions, we're going to ban all Moscow HVAC contractors from seeking contracts in East St. Louis.
From a European point aof view it is indeed funny that you Americans make that much fuzz because of the Ukraine. The country should simply split up. In the east there is a vast majority of Russians and in the west we have Ukrainians who want to join into the EU. It is obvious that this country lacks the stability for a common future.
BTW - there are others who have done this before: The Czechs and the Slovaks divided their country peacefully i.e. The Irish and the Brits broke off also.
Regards from Europe
You seem to be under the false impression that all Americans share the same opinion. We don’t. While it’s nice that you have all the answers regarding this conflict, I feel somewhat obligated to point out, that European points of view on the region in question don’t have a very good track record, historically. Are you sure that Ukrainians will agree with splitting their country up? I suspect they wouldn’t be pleased. So, perhaps further consideration would be advisable. From a European perspective, of course.
WOW!!! 17 MORE PEOPLE. How will the other 150,000,000 people do? Can Obama unfriend that many people?
Yup that song that nomintee for Oscar
I am so roaney
Are significant numbers of refugees fleeing Russia itself right now? Serious question.
“Are significant numbers of refugees fleeing Russia itself right now? Serious question.”
I do not think so, but if you are born their and grow up under their system, you largely accept it. In this case we are talking about non-ethnic Russians in Ukraine, whose country will be taken over by ethnic Russians. They will have no choice but to leave everything behind and flee. Mark my words.
(laughing out loud) LOL! (hesitant to use caps and an exclamation point) : ) Good one, Dutch Boy. Thanks for the laugh this morning. Bold font would send a message that he's really angry, because that is extra work to do bold font.