Skip to comments.Ted Cruz’s 10 Questions on Benghazi
Posted on 05/12/2014 9:35:43 PM PDT by SoConPubbie
Senate Democrats on Monday blocked a request from Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) to approve a resolution supporting the creation of a select committee to investigate Benghazi.
Cruz took to the Senate floor just days after the House approved its own select committee, and said the Senate needs to support a committee because the Obama administration has still failed to answer 10 key questions about the 2012 attack against the U.S. consulate. Cruz also said that while Democrats claim the Obama administration will not rest until the attackers are brought to justice, there has not been any apparent progress.
Here we are eight months later, he said. The perpetrators still have not been caught and the confusion about what occurred on September 11, 2012, in Benghazi has only gotten worse.
After listing out his unanswered questions, Cruz asked for unanimous consent that the Senate immediately pass the resolution. But Senate Foreign Relations Committee Chairman Bob Menendez (D-N.J.) blocked it and said the request was politically motivated.
This request is, in my view, without merit, Menendez said. Its an effort to follow the footsteps of the unfortunate, politically motivated creation of just such a special committee by the House of Representatives just in time for mid-term elections.
Cruz disputed Menendezs claim that his request was political, and said Democrats opposed his request for a select committee on Benghazi 18 months ago, well before the 2014 mid-term elections.
Menendez then argued that some of Cruzs unanswered questions are political in nature, such as whether President Barack Obama slept the night of the attack that left four Americans dead. Menendez said a better question might be whether Obama was even told about the attack that night.
I dont know, Menendez said. The bottom line is would that have saved anyone. I dont know that either.
Cruz pounced on that statement as an example of why a select committee is needed.
The Democratic senator from New Jersey, the chairman of the Foreign Relations COmmittee, just told this body that he has no idea if President Obama was even told four Americans were under terrorist attack, Cruz said. He doesnt know what if anything the President could have done to save them.
I would suggest thats exactly the reason we need this committee.
Menendez said the Senate would be better served passing a bill to boost funding for embassy security. But when Cruz said he would support that bill if Menendez stopped blocking the Benghazi resolution, Menendez indicated that he would not make such a trade because the committee would be political in nature.
Below are Cruzs 10 questions that he said need to be answered by further investigation into the Benghazi attack, and the Obama administrations handling of that attack:
1) Why was the State Department unwilling to provide the requested level of security to Benghazi in the summer of 2012?
2) Do President Obamas daily intelligence briefings in the run-up to September 11, 2012, support the assertion that there was no credible threat of a coordinated terrorist attack on Benghazi during the time? And do the daily intelligence briefings following that date support the claim the administration made that the cause was an Internet video? And why hasnt the White House declassified and released those briefings, just like President George W. Bush did with his pre-September 11, 2001 briefings?
3) Why did we not anticipate the need to have military assets at the ready in the region on the anniversary of September 11, of all days?
4) Did President Obama sleep the night of September 11, 2012? Did Secretary Clinton? Neither has answered that very simple question were they awake or asleep while Americans were under fire? When was President Obama told about the murder of our Ambassador?
5) If the Secretary of Defense thought there was no question that this was a coordinated attack, why did Ambassador Susan Rice, Secretary Clinton and President Obama all tell the American people that the cause was a spontaneous demonstration about an Internet video?
6) Why did former deputy CIA Director Mike Morrell edit the intelligence community talking points to delete the references to Islamic extremists and Al Qaeda?
7) Why did the FBI not release pictures of the militants taken the day of the attack until eight months after the fact? Why not immediately, as proved so effective in the Boston bombing?
8) Why was Secretary Clinton not interviewed for the A.R.B. [Accountability Review Board] report? And if all the relevant questions were answered in the A.R.B. report why did the State Departments own Inspector General office open a probe into the methods of that very report?
9) Why have none of the terrorists who attacked in Benghazi been captured or killed?
10) What additional evidence that the White House engaged in a partisan political campaign to blame the Benghazi attack on the Internet video is contained in the additional emails requested by Judicial Watch but withheld by the White House on the grounds that it would put a chill on internal deliberations?
I like trey goudy’s (sp) questions better. they should coordinate and cruz should take the obvious political stuff out. Make the questions the moms of the dead guys want to know. and say it every day.
Apparently Menendez is an extra dim bulb. That is one of the few things that has been answered. Panetta testified that he told 0bama IIRC and we know 0bama talked to Hillary about it around 10:00 PM. I suppose they could have lied.
Enthusiastic Ted Cruz ping.
11 - Why have the identities of the Benghazi survivors been kept secret and can they be interviewed by this committee ?
Ted should ease off, this is Gowdy’s show and he’s doing a fine job, let him be the focal point.
Abolition Speech by William Wilberforce where are our leaders
Wilberforce was persuaded to lobby for the abolition of the slave trade and for 18 years he regularly introduced anti-slavery motions in parliament
On July 26, 1833, the act for abolition of slavery passed its third reading in the House of Commons. Wilberforce died three days later, but by then passage through the House of Lords was certain. He was buried in Westminster Abbey by request of members of both Houses of Parliament. Slavery was abolished throughout the British Empire the following year.
we need men with these same principles in congress to have the same diligence against obamacare and amnesty.
“What was the Turkish diplomat doing at the consulate that day?
“What was Ambassador STEVENS doing in Benghazi that day? Our EMBASSY is in Tripoli.”
“What was the real purpose of the compound?”
“Where are the survivors of the attack and why were they whisked off to unknown locations, even their names kept secret, and not allowed to b e interviewed?”
Where are they now - and PROVIDE THEM”
“Where did SAdam Hussein’s weapons go? Were they being funneled to Turkey and into al Quedas’s hands?
*****i.e. - Let’s not help them cover up what was really going on by letting them keep it just about the phony talking points. (I hope Gowdy gets into this.I’m really disappointed Cruz never touched on these questions. The WHY & WHAT of this compound will answer all the questions as to why all the lies and cover up.
It is Trey’s show. Ted is just showing why the Senate needs a power shift as well.
Democrats on defense all summer sounds good to me.
per post above - If Cruz - or anyone, isn’t going to get answers about the question in the story below - then they are playing footsie with the dems - and allowing it to be all about the talking points and Not WHY WERE WE THERE? It was NOT he Embassy...
Remember, these people follow Alinksy rules and the no. 1 rule is MISDIRECTION. Wake up Sheeple. Demand these questions be answered.
There’s some movement in including the Senate into the Benghazi probe, Ted’s just giving his Chamber’s interest.
Bi-cameral, I think we call it.
Bed time but plan to think up other questions. Followed the Libya revolt closely.
11) Why did the regime piss on the 1st Amendment as cover for the terrorist attack?
I’d settle for 3 questions.
Three Questions for Liberals
Where is the proof that environmental legislation in the US will impact global climate?
Does it matter if the US President lies to the US public about the dead of US citizens high ranking government officials?
If some conservatives have been targeted by multiple federal agencies, how does that occur without a high level conspiracy?
Only, “pretend” questions will be asked since the hawks in the republican party were complicit in the arming of the, “freedom fighters”. This is much bigger than Iran-contra but no one will delve into it.
I strongly disagree with you statement, “Ted should ease off...”
This is a serious problem. We need all hands on deck.
Trey’s doing a great job. Though I like Ted Cruz, he sounds like a dull note vying for attention of Benghazi.
Exactly! All congressmen should relentlessly ask questions, until they are all answered.