Skip to comments.Ukraine: Threat assessment on May 20 in English
Posted on 05/21/2014 3:18:25 AM PDT by UMCRevMom@aol.com
photo: Sergii Gorbachov
(Voices of Ukraine - Official Translation)
Brothers and sisters! Heres the Summary for May 20, 2014
The bad news:
1. In Luhansk and Donetsk Oblasts [regions], separatists captured eleven district election commissions [DEC], there is still a threat of the seizure of eight more.
According to our current Ukrainian legislation, the elections will be valid without a number of polling stations in Donbas. But why should some criminal bandits deny [Ukrainian] citizens the opportunity to make their political choice under normal circumstances?
We want to still believe that Ukrainian special forces will do everything in their power to maximally allow for the work of the election commissions. After all, its the states responsibility to ensure the realization of the constitutional rights of its citizens.
2. In the Vekhovna Rada [Ukrainian Parliament], the Party of Regions and the Communists thwarted the vote for the criminalization of bribing voters. Those who bribe the electorate, it was proposed, are to receive punishment of a prison term for up to three years.
As expected, at the mention of a prison term for these tricks, the Party of Regions members and the Communists got really nervous. These gentlemen from the past dont want honest politics. Its just not for them. Their brain refuses to recognize the idea of an honest life.
Something has to be decided about these brains.
3. Russia does not forego holding the Aviadarts-2014 [military] exercises on the eve and day of the Presidential elections in Ukraine. Kyiv gave Moscow 48 hours to provide an explanation regarding these exercises.
It is clear that we wont hear a reasonable explanation. Although these exercises (participants master the combat use of missile, bomb, and cannon gun armaments against ground targets, as well as overcoming the air defense system of a simulated enemy) are in fact, the action script of the Russian Air Force in the invasion of Ukraine.
At the same time, we havent yet observed the withdrawal of Russian troops from the border areas. However, at least they arent currently hanging out in the 10-km [6-mile] border zonewhich stabilizes the situation somewhat. But its a rather illusory détente. For real stabilization, we need a complete return of Russian troops to the places of their permanent deployment.
The good news:
1. The Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine voted to adopt the Memorandum of peace and harmony. It calls for the de-escalation of tension in the country, full support of the Geneva agreements, and the promise of Constitutional reform.
Obviously this document is nothing more than a declaration. But in my opinion, its a very important step to a real dialogue. Obviously, not with terroristswe can only speak the language of lead with them. But to a dialogue with the population of East and Souththose who for some reasons dont trust Kyiv. But, at the same time, want to live in a unified and stable Ukraine.
2. 100,000 people representing the world community supported the petition to the U.S. government to recognize Russia as a sponsor of terrorism [Ed. please sign].
If this status is de facto recognized by the West and the whole world thereafter, it will be an indisputable victory for Ukraine. Even though Russia prides itself on its current role as an actual rogue nation, nevertheless the further growth of international support for Ukraine wont hurt.
3. Oligarch Rinat Akhmetov has finally shed his false shame and supported a unified Ukraine. In Donetsk and Luhansk Oblasts, he urged [employees of] his largest enterprises to hold a warning strike against violence and separatism.
We recently criticized Akhmetov for his memoranda with the terrorist organization Donetsk Peoples Republic. The fellow has redeemed himself. We are glad.
There may be plenty of reasons to explain the behavior of the Donbas oligarch. Lets not forget that a serious part of his business is in Europeand [people] there wouldnt understand his cooperation with the terrorist organization.
On the other hand, while Rinat Leonydovych is torn between the Russian and the normal world, his fiefdom in Donbas is slowly getting overshadowed by Kolomoyskyi. Akhmetov doesnt need this type of sport even for free. And thats why his participation in the competition for the title of Best-friend-of-a-unified-Ukraine is self-explanatory.
Again, its possible that Akhmetov considered the legitimate government to be more acceptable, while threatening to confiscate a part of [his] business, rather than the chaos and anarchy of his pro-Russian buddies. Especially since they vouched to conduct the nationalization of Akhmetovs enterprises.
In the end, we do not exclude a double play by Akhmetov. But its not the point. If this tactical step by Akhmetov positively affects the situation in the regionwhy shouldnt it be welcomed? And well deal with his motives and secret desires later.