Skip to comments.Mass killers hold culture — and country — hostage
Posted on 06/02/2014 5:01:39 AM PDT by rellimpank
Can we please stop holding the country hostage to crazy people?
Every year a tiny number of mentally ill people go on horrific killing sprees. It just happened in California. I won't name the person because I think the media attention lavished on these horror shows encourages some of these young men -- and they are almost all young men -- to seek fame or validation through bloodshed.
In an entirely human response, we get spun up into a frenzy of finger-pointing. In the aftermath of the Gabby Giffords shooting, many of the country's leading journalists and politicians suggested the former congresswoman was shot because of the "violent" political rhetoric of Sarah Palin, Rep. Michele Bachmann and other tea party-affiliated politicians. It was beyond stupid and slanderous. It was also utterly devoid of evidence. (The culprit was a severe paranoid schizophrenic who abused drugs.)
In 2012, at a screening of "The Dark Knight Rises" in Aurora, Colo., another mentally ill young man allegedly murdered 12 people. Because he died his hair orange and booby-trapped his home the way the comic book villain The Joker might have, many speculated that he was motivated by the Batman movies to kill.
After the particularly horrifying mass murder in Newtown, Conn., many speculated that the mentally ill killer was at least partially driven to kill by violent video games.
In the wake of the recent murder spree in California, Washington Post film critic Ann Hornaday tried to lay some of the blame on romantic comedies.
(Excerpt) Read more at jsonline.com ...
“...and they are almost all young men”
And most all of them were raised by liberal families that had no interest in providing hands-on guidance to see them grow into contributing members of society. Instead they were permitted to do whatever they wanted and withdraw into their own perceived hell. There they stayed until the seeds of hate were permitted to fester until they exploded into carnage.
Unless the entire population is disarmed and herded into camps, this is going to continue. Every society has its drawbacks.
What the hell has happened to this once great country?
The “Progressives” took over many institutions, but particularly the media.
Whenever anyone say “keep gun out of the hands of ... (fill in the blank)” I dismiss the writer as either an idiot, A liberal shill, or an antigunner. Can’t be done, and I’m not willing to pay the price in my reduced freedom and the theft of my rights to even try.
What we need is a spiritual revival.
“Mass Killers Hold Culture - and Country - Hostage”
Let’s turn that headline around to get at the truth:
“Mass Culture Holds Country Hostage”
1. Because “multi-culturalism” has pushed older cultural norms and values into the margins, what passes as our nation’s dominant “culture” is an amoral product of commerce, not human or religious, or values.
2. The mass market works because the majority of people are not very bright.
3. It is relatively easy to appeal to idiots with sex, violence, and empty promises. The “entertainment” industries (films, TV, music, video game, sports, news) and the government/politics industry etc., have figured out that shallow content is easier to make and easier to sell, than say, works of genius and universal values.
4. The result is that, with some notable exceptions, our common culture, which is mostly “virtual”, tends to be a race to the bottom. The actual bottom is reached when the result is mass murder imitating virtual mayhem. (Which the entertainment industry quickly exploits to lure ad viewers.)
5. Batman movie guy; Santa Barbara sex-envy boy. We are there.
It died because it WANTED to die.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.