Free Republic
Browse · Search
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Haqqani Network, Pakistan terror group, grows into worst enemy for U.S.
Washington Times ^ | June 5, 2014 | Rowan Scarborough

Posted on 06/06/2014 7:43:23 AM PDT by george76

The Haqqani Network, the terrorist group that the U.S. command in Afghanistan says is its most formidable enemy — worse than the Taliban or al Qaeda — has operated for a dozen years across the border in Pakistan’s North Waziristan tribal area with little to fear other than sporadic drone strikes.

Now, even the drone strikes have stopped for the family-run gang that held Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl for five years.


The Haqqani network maintains a safe haven in North Waziristan, Pakistan, across Afghanistan’s southeastern border. The Pakistani Army has consistently refused to launch a military operation in North Waziristan despite the presence of al-Qaeda senior leadership. Elements within the Pakistani security establishment continue to view the Haqqani network as a useful ally and proxy force to represent their interests in Afghanistan.”

One of those “interests” is to have Haqqani attack Indian targets in Afghanistan. India and Pakistan are archrivals.

(Excerpt) Read more at ...

TOPICS: Crime/Corruption; Foreign Affairs; News/Current Events; War on Terror
KEYWORDS: afghanistan; alqaeda; awol; bergdahl; bowebergdahl; deserter; haqqani; haqqaninetwork; india; northwaziristan; pakistan; taliban; terror; terrorism; terrorists; waziristan

1 posted on 06/06/2014 7:43:23 AM PDT by george76
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: george76

Maybe a weekend in the Lincoln Bedroom will calm them down.

2 posted on 06/06/2014 7:49:13 AM PDT by Tugo (Never Forget.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Tugo

I said this back in 2001. Nuke North Waziristan. Do it from space just to be sure. You take out that region, 90% of the worlds terror goes away. The other 10% is Dearborn.

3 posted on 06/06/2014 8:00:25 AM PDT by EQAndyBuzz ("Heck of a reset there, Hillary")
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: EQAndyBuzz

nuke what in Waziristan? it would be like nuking the middle of NV.

4 posted on 06/06/2014 8:43:58 AM PDT by RitchieAprile
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

To: EQAndyBuzz
That would help. A more effective solution would be to have a serious look at two of America's allies - the kingdom of Saudi Arabia, and the nation of Pakistan.

This will never happen, but tackling those two would put a serious hurt on global terrorism. The Wahhabi faith from the Saudis, coupled with funds from the Saudi business and religious community, and the Pakistani madrassas religious education system, are the main lynch pins of terrorism. Be it against the US, in Nigeria, in the Levant, you name it and the Wahhabi sect, Saudi money and Pakistani intermediaries are somewhat involved.

An interesting example is to look at the type of Islam practiced in Somalia and Afghanistan jn the 70s before the infiltration of Wahhabi/Salafi preachers. In Somalia, for instance, the local brand of Islam was very loose, with the local garb for women being a colorful translucent fabric. In Afghanistan women were studying in the university of Kabul. Add Wahhabism and suddenly burkas are at play.

However, the US needs Saudi oil, and as for Pakistan the US military doesn't attack strong nations - particularly those with nuclear weapons. Thus in both cases nothing will be done, and the situation will be to continue smacking symptoms hard but ignoring the source.

5 posted on 06/09/2014 12:46:55 AM PDT by spetznaz (Nuclear-tipped Ballistic Missiles: The Ultimate Phallic Symbol)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794 is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson