Skip to comments.Family of Electrocuted 7-Year-Old Sues Pool Companies
Posted on 06/25/2014 3:11:15 AM PDT by SoFloFreeper
The father of a 7-year-old boy who died when he was electrocuted in the familys pool has filed a lawsuit against the company that made the pool light and the one that serviced the familys swimming pool.
Calder Sloan died on April 17 when he jumped into his familys pool and was electrocuted. The childs death was wake-up call to many pool owners around South Florida.
(Excerpt) Read more at nbcmiami.com ...
The Miami Herald, in an April 17 article, indicated that the family hired an electrician who told them the pool wasn't safe....no permits were pulled for any work done....
But the Miami TELEVISION stations NEVER MENTION THIS FACT.
Why would tv stations be so unwilling to tell the full story? Could it be because the family owns a TELEVISION PRODUCTION COMPANY?
My guess, it was tripping the GFCI so they just disabled it....
I thought pool lights were a low voltage DC circuit?
There are lots of failure mechanisms by which the mains (120V) can be faulted onto to a low voltage circuit. Generally a GFI will provide adequate protection. Based on other comments on this thread, it does sound like there was some corner cutting going on.
You’d have to be a TOTAL IDIOT not to use a GFCI in that type of circuit - and to RESPECT the fact that they do trip for a reason.
Oh yea, never mind, understanding even basic wiring (and plumbing) is way too much to ask for this generation...they’re too busy with their video games and dance lessons to be bothered by that “dirty stuff”.
Oh well, ignorance has a price - maybe they’re young enough to have more kids.
How ridiculous, having several pools myself, all the lights have been low voltage 12volts. Most pool owners will notice the transformer over by the pool equipment.
Was there some kind of bleed over from the high voltage side to the low side, incorrect wiring?
Let’s suppose that a pool light somehow was connecting live AC to the pool water. If someone jumped in the water, how close to the defective pool light would they have to be for sufficient current to go through their body to be fatal?
GFCIs are sensitive - for a reason. I once had a customer when I was an electrician that had an outlet in the dining room that kept tripping (it was protected from a GFCO in the kitchen). Just a bare receptacle, but always tripped the GFCO. Turns out it was under the window that the cat used to look out and see dogs/cats outside and it was marking its territory. Just happened the outlet received the brunt of the marking spray.
Changed out the receptacle and problem cured. The lady wasn’t too happy with the cat, though.
Nothing stinks quite as bad as tom cat spray and this woman didn’t know the cat was spraying the wall? Good grief! She must of had no sense of smell at all!
You know, I wondered that too, but I could not smell it either. She must have been using that spray that covers up cat pee.
I only saw it when I pulled out my flashlight and shined it along the wall and then wiped a wet paper towel across it. After getting wet you could smell it.
After that, I bought one of the UV flashlights and put it in my tool bag.
LOL! I didn’t know anything had been invented that could cover up cat pee.
Generally permits are not required for repairs to existing systems. Only for new work and alterations to existing systems.
No permitting authority could handle the paperwork/personnel work load if permits were required for repairs........
GFIs gradually fail. We’ve observed this on our dock at Lake of the Ozarks.
“I thought pool lights were a low voltage DC circuit?”
For the last 30 years yes! I don’t know the particulars in this case
“Why would tv stations be so unwilling to tell the full story?”......
Because it’s what they do! (except for Fox)
“Why would tv stations be so unwilling to tell the full story? “
Those facts don’t fit their narrative.
The house, I believe was built in the 1960s...40 years ago...
I work in the pool industry, and people do really stupid things regarding pool safety. One of the dumbest is done by above/on ground owners who plug 1 or 1.5 hp pool filters into non gfci, interior outlets and then snake yards of extension cords (out of windows usually) to the pool. Fortunately, the motors will overheat, burn out BEFORE anything else happens, but I do know of several small fires that started this way.
With an older IG (this sad story) my guess would be the wiring was deteriorating and gfci either failed or was circumvented. Also, weekly pool inspection? More like weekly visit by pool boy w/a bucket of shock and an OTO kit.
My grandad had a male cat. One day it sprayed his LP record collection. Twenty years later you could still smell the cat urine on the sleeves. (valuable collection - one is an original Beatles LP, first one out).
LOL! Damn cat!
I bet that room smelled to high heaven of cat spray. We had a woman who had lots of feral cats around. her house smelled so bad it took your breath away when you went in.
Her car smelled, she smelled.
I always avoided going inside her house for any reason. I told the wife I would wait outside, YOU go in.
swimming pools kill more children each year than guns. maybe pool owners need background checks.
Why was the GFI being used in that location? What was it intended to protect?
Sometimes in dining rooms you will see them for buffet hot plates, griddles, coffee pots, food warmers and the like.
I assume that is what it was for. It was an upscale home so whoever built it assumed things like that might be used.
It was also not far from the kitchen so they just pulled the wire on around to the load side of the kitchen GFCO that protected all the outlets there.
There’s a product call Urine Destroyer made especially for cat urine (spray). It works pretty well on relatively hard surfaces. Not so much on rugs.
AppyPappy, for the comment:
Those facts dont fit their narrative.
Is that about right?
I recall the Museum of Science in Boston had uncovered electrical receptacles about 10 inches off the floor in a carpeted lounge area, with sofas, where people with small children could relax while kids crawled around on the carpet. They had a sign posted claiming that covers were not necessary on the receptacles because they were Ground Fault Interrupter protected(!). Even assuming that the potential shock was only transient, what happens when a kid pokes a bobby pin or paper clip between power and neutral. But, hey, they are the Museum of Science.