Skip to comments.Islamic State crushes and coerces on march towards Baghdad
Posted on 07/23/2014 6:12:31 AM PDT by TangledUpInBlue
They kidnapped 30 local families and rang up the town's most influential citizens with a simple message about the hostages: "You know their destiny if you don't let us take over the town."
Within hours, tribesmen and local leaders caved in to save the families. The black flag of the Sunni militants, who are bent on overthrowing the Shi'ite-led Iraqi government, was soon flying over government buildings and police stations in al-Alam.
Weeks later, only a few masked gunmen guard checkpoints surrounding al-Alam at night, so comfortable is the Islamic State in its control through fear.
"One hundred percent of people are angry that the Islamic State is here but there is nothing we can do," said a scared resident who spoke by telephone on condition of anonymity.
Similar accounts of victories by the Islamic State, which has also seized territory in neighboring Syria during the civil war there, are repeated across other towns and villages in Salahuddin province north of Baghdad.
(Excerpt) Read more at news.yahoo.com ...
What's the end game here?
I see only 3 potential outcomes and both are degrees of disaster.
1) These guys lay siege to Bagdhad, conquer the city and assume control of "Iraq". The world doesn't act. They get their Islamic state and suppress the opposition in a constant state of civil unrest.
2) They appear to be on the brink of assuming control of Iraq when Iran has had enough and invades. What happens from there, no one knows.
3) The West intervenes to destroy ISIS. Frankly, this looks like the least likely scenario at the moment.
So where do you see this going??
Maybe it is time for the Iraquis to fight for their country...maybe not.
This story, along with Benghazi and Bergdahl, has been put to bed by the MSM.
Wouldn’t it be nice if instead of being fed the idea of intervention in Ukraine over who gets to rob Ukraine the most, that our “leader” would be speaking out on the real danger at the moment and unload a big can of whoop ass on ISIS. There are zero Christians left in Mosul, the have been killed and the rest have fled.
Won’t happen. He doesn’t even mention it.
I see the worst possible thing happening, ie they capture several of our GIs over there and American Citizens and hold them hostage, beheading them, torturing them etc... while the meat head in office plays golf....
This will happen....you can bet on it.
#2. ISIS conquers the city of Baghdad and most of the rest of Iraq. The world will respond harshly with lots of talk, bluster, handwringing and “letters of concern.”
A clever short-term tactic; not one likely to engender long-term support from the intensely tribal populace. They may gain control, but it's going to carry the seeds of rebellion.
Sorry.. should read #1.
“One hundred percent of people are angry that the Islamic State is here but there is nothing we can do,” said a scared resident who spoke by telephone on condition of anonymity. .................................................................. 75 years later the same crap is happening and nothing has changed? The ISIS Blitzkrieg continues using the same population control as their European predecessors of 75 years ago. Does our current administration see anything wrong there?
There will be little or no unrest after they take over.
Does anyone really believe ISIS or some affiliate won't do this to an American town? Their takeover may be short-lived, but they'll get the publicity they want.
As a matter of fact... no.
1) Iraq falls to the new Barbarians who then proceed to attack Jordan. Obama issues a stern warning with that famous facial grimace of his, says to King Abdullah of Jordan, “I've got your back”...Jordan falls after the President spends a weekend out golfing.
2) ISIS takes over Jordan and begins attacking Israel who then almost nuke them but are stopped by Pres. Obama who tells the Israelis, “I've got your back”...Israel falls but launches nukes anyways, (The Samson Option). Tehran, Damascus, Baghdad, Cairo, Mecca and even Berlin (final payback) get decimated.
3) Iran and ISIS decide to team up, now that the US let Iran develop nukes. Iran threatens the US. Naval forces of the Iranian regime, backed up by ISIS commandos approach US shores. Pres. Obama once again, sets red lines and calls out US forces but remembers at the last minute that he has won the Nobel Peace Prize. He decides to go golfing and hope the Iranian armada spotted off Nantucket sound is only an exercise.
We cannot continue to train and heavily arm people who will not fight for their country or themselves. Truly crazy and counter productive.
lol...our current administration is now thinking about lobster and clams at the Vineyard
the west will do nothing and Iran will do nothing and we will end up with a new terrorist state
Yep, Northern Iraq is/was like Czechoslovakia and the rest of it is like the Sudetenland, both quietly occupied w/o narry a whimper let alone a protest. I’m waiting for the “Peace in Our Time” moment, probably a year or two from now.
For now, we watch sports </s>
Baghdad is going to be a LOT harder to take than the Sunni Towns...
The Shia militia’s will fight to the death.
My money would be on:
“1) These guys lay siege to Bagdhad, conquer the city and assume control of “Iraq”. The world doesn’t act. They get their Islamic state and suppress the opposition in a constant state of civil unrest.”
Albeit, I’d modify number 1 to read: “These guys lay siege to Bagdhad without completely cutting the city off. The world doesn’t act. They solidify their grip on their Islamic state and supress the opposition in a constant state of civil unrest.
So what I see is sort of a standoff, endless siege. What perplexes me is the lack of action by Iran. I would have expected them to step in to save the Sharia Shrine cities.
ISIS isn’t going to conquer Baghdad.
The towns and villages that they have taken are Sunni majority and the Sunnis largely abandoned their organic militia capacity during the 2006-2008 “surge.” The Shi’ite majority Iraqi army was entirely unable to operate in those
Baghdad has significant Shi’ite militia, well-armed and passably well-trained, and if things go existential, the Shi’ite government can draw upon an unlimited resource of Iranian special and conventional forces.
This is how Islam has spread, from the night that Mad Mo crawled out of the bat cave and barked at the moon, until today.
The U.S. will switch to supporting Bashir Assad and form a coalition to wipe out ISIS.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.