Skip to comments.Liberia closes borders as Ebola hits major west African cities
Posted on 07/28/2014 9:18:11 PM PDT by Kartographer
Liberia, along with neighbouring Guinea and Sierra Leone, is struggling to contain an epidemic that has infected some 1,200 people and left at least 670 dead across the region since the start of the year.
Last week authorities in Sierra Leone's capital Freetown and Lagos in Nigeria announced their first cases, marking an alarming new front in the fight against a disease mainly confined to remote villages and rural outposts.
"All borders of Liberia will be closed with the exception of major entry points," Sirleaf said in a statement late Sunday.
Monrovia's international airport, a provincial airport and three major crossings were exempted from the closures.
(Excerpt) Read more at news.yahoo.com ...
Haven’t they been told? Closing borders is racist!
Is Ebola infection covered in Obamacare?
Sure, but there’s no specific treatment and your local ER will put up a tent with negative air pressure and make you go into it. Armed guards outside, too.
Amazing that Liberia can close it’s border ‘overnight’...and as some have said...we put a man on the moon and we can’t close ours.
I suppose this horror is now going to become another White Man’s Burden.
This is a very scary story, and it is being largely ignored.
I agree, because what people are missing is the terrorist angle. North Korea, Iran and other enemies of the West try very hard to obtain WMDs. One of these enemy states may try to send people infected with Ebola into the U.S.A. All hell will break loose. And they can rejoice knowing they won't be easily blamed.
Imagine teams of terrorist instead of being human bombs, teams of them are infected and smuggled into the U.S. thorough the Mexican border..
They’re instructions are to head to malls, train stations etc, before they do the big chicken and go belly up.
My guess is that even if Ebola shows up in Central America and even if these illegal children immigrants have Ebola, DC will still bring them in and distribute them around the country covertly.
“Imagine teams of terrorist instead of being human bombs, teams of them are infected and smuggled into the U.S. thorough the Mexican border..”
Imagine teams of them doing both, wandering around in populated areas, and then once they know death is near, blowing themselves up in a densely populated area.
And where does the withdrawn air go to?
Poor border guards.
Kind of self closing with the word ‘Ebola’ ... I think I’ll take another route.
Read where someone wrote we should all become like the Asians and bow instead of shaking hands now!
More than 600 people have died in what the WHO describes as the largest ever outbreak of Ebola virus disease in West Africa.
The dead include healthcare workers such as Liberian physician Dr Samuel Brisbane.
Here's a rundown of what we know so far:
1. Ebola is a severe, often fatal viral disease formerly known as Ebola haemorrhagic fever, caused by the several Ebolavirus members of the Filoviridae (filovirus) family. The virus comes from fruit bats and monkeys, and may be spread to humans by contact with animals through hunting or preparation of meat.
2. Human-to-human transmission occurs via blood, body fluids, secretions through broken skin, and in healthcare situations with poor infection-control practices.
3. The latest outbreaks are in Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea in West Africa, where there have been 1200 confirmed and suspected cases and 672 deaths to date. Many healthcare workers are among the victims.
4. Those at risk include people living in or travelling to affected areas of Africa where there has been direct exposure to the bodily fluids of an infected person or animal (alive or dead), including unprotected sexual contact.
5. Signs and symptoms of early Ebola viral illness disease include sudden onset of fever, muscle aches, weakness, headache and sore throat, followed by vomiting, diarrhoea, rash, and malfunction of liver and kidneys.
6. Patients may have profuse internal and external bleeding and progress to multi-organ failure. The prognosis is poor, with case fatality rates of 50%-90%.
7. There is no vaccine or effective treatment for Ebola virus, only supportive care, such as rehydration.
8. Prevention of Ebola is based on avoidance of contact with infected animals and raw meat. Close contact with infected patients should be avoided, particularly their bodily fluids. Personal protective equipment and frequent handwashing is required when taking care of ill patients.
9. There have been no cases in Australia, but special procedures have been recommended for suspected cases, including asking patients to wear a mask and informing health departments for follow-up.
Sources:......WHO: Ebola virus disease Department of Health: EVD outbreaks in West Africa Important Information for Patients and Consumers 9 things you need to know about Ebola
HEPA filtered and them pumped out.
I hope it stays that way. *Shivers*
The secret international trade in "bush meats" is another way that this disease could suddenly spread into modern cities. And it is a virus. There is nothing one can do ...
Well all these International Trade deals aren’t helping the situation. It’s all about revenue no matter who’s pushing what product. But the guidelines in one c country over another is vastly different.
In one of our super markets they are listing where the product comes from in the fresh produce isles.....that in itself makes a statement. And you wonder what kind of critters come in those crates that might up in your home!!!!
I kinda think it’s too late to worry about infected animals and raw meat...
E B O L A — Coming to a southern border near you.
If the Feds want to keep you IN, I’m sure they could close it ...
Actually, they don’t even have to go through the trouble of trying to get the infection here through a porous border.
They just have to infect a dozen or so Jihadis right before they board airliners bound for a dozen US cities. It is a very frightening scenario.
“They just have to infect a dozen or so Jihadis right before they board airliners bound for a dozen US cities. It is a very frightening scenario.”
How so? Do typical Americans swap bodily fluids with just-arrived Jihadis?
Post to me or FReep mail to be on/off the Bring Out Your Dead ping list.
The purpose of the Bring Out Your Dead ping list (formerly the Ebola ping list) is very early warning of emerging pandemics, as such it has a high false positive rate.
So far the false positive rate is 100%.
At some point we may well have a high mortality pandemic, and likely as not the Bring Out Your Dead threads will miss the beginning entirely.
*sigh* Such is life, and death...
Well, you can believe that it isn’t a threat, but if it weren’t, the CDC would not have issued this.
Additionally, if any of these potential domestic victims get infected, there is an indeterminate probability that the infection can be spread to loved ones, etc.
You don’t have to “swap bodily fluids” with an infected person in order to contract Ebola. It’s not like AIDS, much more virulent.
As far as we know, it has not yet gone airborne. However, it does live on surfaces.
We have two Americans currently suffering from this strain who were in full protective gear when exposed. Ebola is highly communicable even to those trying hard to avoid it.
From Gaffer’s CDC link:
“The prevention of Ebola virus infection includes measures to avoid contact with blood and body fluids of infected individuals and with objects contaminated with these fluids (e.g., syringes).”
I think most Americans are safe. Heck, with Obamacare it may even be safer. As in “take a number and we’ll call you when we’ve scheduled your emergency room appt.” And that’s before the ambulance and hospital union rules on contagious diseases kick in.
The horse has pretty much been out the gate for far too long to stop it now. ....and that goes for most things now coming into this nation...as well as what’s going out.
.....”If the Feds want to keep you IN, Im sure they could close it”.....
That’s true, but it seems just the opposite, and this worldwide with borders mostly open......at very least to funnel those from one area to the next.