Skip to comments.The total number of wiretaps by state
Posted on 07/29/2014 7:33:33 AM PDT by null and void
How does your state compare?
With all the NSA paranoia running amuck, sorting out the facts from fiction should slightly reduce the likelihood of coronaries caused by unnecessary worrying. We know Verizon and other telephone service providers retain call logs for our buddies at the NSA, but where exactly do we stand with wiretaps? Have you ever had the suspicion that some malevolent third party entity was snooping around that one time your call was crossed with somebody elses? Well, relax buddy, there arent that that many wiretaps going around. Although ─ to be fair ─ the states of Nevada, Colorado, California, or New York account for half of the nations total wiretapping activities.
According to a new report from the Administrative Office of U.S. Courts that outlines the number of authorized wiretappings in 2013, Nevada is the number one state with the most taps per person in the entire nation. This figure represents 38.2 taps per 500,000 people. Rest assured, 90% of wiretap authorization request incite drug related offenses, with the remaining 10% split between homicide and smuggling.
California, New York, Nevada, and Florida have the highest percentage of wiretaps authorized for mobile devices; Californias 26% is more than double New Yorks 12%, and four times Nevada and Floridas 6%. It should come as no surprise that these four states account for half the total number of wiretaps as they hold a quarter of the total U.S. population; California alone is the most populated state in the United States.
Wiretaps by state
Nut-job Conspiracy Theory Ping!
To get onto The Nut-job Conspiracy Theory Ping List you must threaten to report me to the Mods if I don't add you to the list...
I am surprised Illinois is not higher.
Waddya you bet there isn’t a single one in D.C.
THE most corrupt city in the world.
The numbers are complete BS. The NSA is always tapping your phone...: )
Not really. He is actually really trying to find out who is organizing resistance to his next re-election. They don’t care crap about Muslim terrorism. What they care most about is organized resistance to government tyranny.
It is that simple.
ding! ding! ding! We have a winner!
I believe that these are ‘official’ wiretaps with judges, paperwork, and everything.
I am disappointed in my fellow Floridians, I was hoping to make the top ten. #15 indeed!
I know that...I just had to be a smarta$$....: )
> Hairy Reid’s state is #1? That’s a shock...
The man justs want to know what they are saying about him plus it gives him a big advantage on naming his price on turtle and cattle infested lands on real estate deals...: )
Yeh who says they get a warrant or any kind of permission? I highly doubt it.
we are Venezuela
Wow. Nebraska is #11. Apparently we have more drug dealing and homicides than either Florida or Illinois...
Who’da thunk it?
The IRS/FBI like to investigate important stuff like wheat farmers taxes, right?
And MN is at .04%? Nothing important happening in MN to keep an eye on! LOL
Probably so, but they’re telling judges it’s for drugs, homicide, and/or smuggling. God knows people who smuggle things into the US bring them first to Nebraska this great landlocked state. And everybody knows we’ve got more murders here than in Chicago or Florida. And drugs? Never mind that there are probably more people in Chicago than in the whole state of Nebraska - CLEARLY the Nebraska ranchers are the ones dealing the drugs...
I thought it was supposed to stop crime, not encourage it!
Yes, indeed. Not just your phone but every key stroke on your computer and traffic cameras and street videos and your banking transactions and credit card charges and drones are monitoring every peanut you eat at baseball games.
< Yes, indeed. Not just your phone but every key stroke on your computer and traffic cameras and street videos and your banking transactions and credit card charges and drones are monitoring every peanut you eat at baseball games.
Well I’m glad you’re paying attention...: )