Skip to comments.The Russian Roots of Terrorism
Posted on 04/07/2015 6:16:53 AM PDT by GodGunsGuts
We have heard repeatedly about Americans and Europeans fighting for ISIL, but little attention is being devoted to the Russian-speaking foreign fighters that make up the group. Their numbers are estimated at 500 or more. Omar al-Shishani is usually described as a prominent Islamic State fighter who is Chechen. In fact, he was born in the former Soviet republic of Georgia and was trained there.
Some reports suggest these fighters are opposed to the Russian-backed Assad regime in Syria and Russia itself. But if this is the case, then why is Russia opposed to U.S. bombing of these terrorists? NBC News reports that the Russian foreign minister says airstrikes should only go forward with Syrias consent....
(Excerpt) Read more at aim.org ...
Terrorists in Muslim Disguise
The Shadow Behind the Middle East Peace Conference
We Are the Next Target
Dangerous liaisons: covert love affair between RUSSIA and HEZBOLLAH
The Russian Roots of Terrorism (in bed with ISIS?)
Huge number of suicide bombers are actually COMMUNISTS
The Russians and Islamic Terrorism
Huge number of suicide bombers are actually COMMUNISTS
Yes, those ‘ISIS Russians’ are largely Chechens.
Russians don’t want/trust the U.S. to bomb Syria because Obama has repeatedly said he wants a ‘political solution’ in Syria meaning the removal of Assad for starters, not ISIS.
Obama arming the ‘rebels’ in Syria without articulating who exactly these elusive ‘rebels’ are has been insane. More so because allegiances in that part of the world change Very fast. One day a ‘rebel’ next an ISIS jihadi.
The situation in Syria is very unstable. For now, should Assad fall, Syria will go to ISIS, entirely.
A comment by Livius from the link, with which i agree:
“Islamic terrorism comes from Islam, and has been a feature of the cult since the beginning.
Both Russia and the US were stupid enough to think they could use this against each other during the Cold War.
Both of them had obviously forgotten that the way the Muslims got to overrun Spain in the 8th century, shortly after the foundation of the cult, was that they had been INVITED in by a king who was warring on another king and thought he could use them to attack his enemy. They did attack his enemy - after killing the first king himself, of course - and then went on to attack all of Spain.
This is playing out just the same way.”
I think it likely ISIS and Syria and Iran working with Russia and part of the same overall terror network that we were witnessing before the Soviet “collapse”. See Russian Roots of Terrorism (in bed with ISIS?) above.
Lot of good points in that article/analysis.
Here is my summary; i’ll make it brief as it’s late here & i’m not in front of a computer.
1. In the 1970s, several yrs before mullahs took over in iran, the shah used to talk about ‘the alliance of reds & blacks’. (Reds ‘commies’, blacks ‘islamists). He was correct.
2. Inside iran the soviet agitation, to overthrow the monarchy, supported by islamists including mullahs was pretty much a continual event.
3. There are left & right wing factions within the mullahs regime in iran. But their core belief comes from islam & islamic doctrine.
4. No doubt there is now, post soviet era, there is a POLITICAL alliance between russia, iran & Assad’s Syria. But it is not an ideological alliance. It has much more to do with geopolitics.
5. I know some on FR have suggested that mulhahs regime supports or even created ISIS. That’s Highly unlikely. Not only because as far back as 2006-7, al-baghdadi actually vowed to kill & demolish ‘persians’ including mullahs regime, especially if they continued to interfere in iraq. But ISIS is a Salafi & a purist brand of islam. ISIS in particular, as we’ve known them, (unlike AQ), will not compromise.
6. Assad’s regime is not islamic, islamist or communist. It’s secular. That means ideologically not aligned with mullahs regime or hezbolla. Their alliance is out necessity to ensure balance of power in that region. Same applies to today’s russia under Putin and its relations with mullahs iran. IOW, they are using each other.
P.S. - mullahs and their supporters connection to Hezbolla is very well known inside iran. Commonly they’re referred to as ‘hezbollahis’ by the average iranian.
I think your analysis is quite good, but I think more emphasis needs to be put on investigating whether the new Russian bosses are the same as the Old Russian bosses (and let’s not leave out their geopolitical ally, Red China) when it comes to the global terror network. You would do well to read every link in reply #2. I do not claim that they are perfectly accurate in every respect. But I think they go a long way in reorienting our thinking so we can once again see the larger picture.
I’ll read the other links tomorrow night.
You will find stories that there are Russian speaking battalions in ISIS; so to say they are all Chechens may be too simplistic.
Dagestan? Northern Ossetia?
The vast majority of Osetians aren’t muslim. They are ethnically Iranian but most of them are Christian.
“Paid_Russian_Troll”, haha...if only they were all so forthright!
I love you too, Gut!:)
Maybe Dagestanis, maybe Tatars, or Bashkirs, or Central Asians residing in Russia.
Doesn't the last sentence answer the question? Or do you really expect the Russians to tell the US to bomb targets regardless of what their ally Assad says? Beyond that, the Russians don't like or trust or want to make things easy for us. The surprise would be if they favored some American policy.
Don’t forget that was also how the Arabs took SIcily and Malta-when a rebellious Byzantine admiral Euphemius solicited their help against the Byzantine King Michael II, and that was also how the Ottoman Turks got a foothold within the Byzantine Empire later when the regent John VI Kantakouzenos solicited the aid of Sultan and Bey Orhan Ghazi against the then queen dowager and then the legitimate King John V.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.