Skip to comments.7 Forces Driving America Toward Civil War
Posted on 04/21/2018 5:19:30 AM PDT by Kaslin
I was interviewed by a mainstream media reporter yesterday. I thought he wanted to talk tech issues, but we actually spent almost the entire conversation discussing the feeling that many conservatives have that America has gone off the tracks and is headed toward dissolution or alternately, a civil war one day. Obviously, this would be a terrible thing and ironically, twenty years ago, it would have been laughable. Today, the joke isnt so funny because we are a deeply unhealthy society with a dysfunctional government and for all our money, success and storied history, we seem to be on an increasingly dangerous trajectory.
1) A Post-Constitutional Era: Liberals dont believe in the Constitution. Typically they deny this, but thats exactly what a living Constitution means. You make it up as you go along. The Founders foresaw the instability and danger that would be created by this approach, which is why they wanted us to be a constitutional republic, not a democracy. Unfortunately, America has in many ways already become a post-constitutional democracy and were one liberal judge away from abandoning the Constitution altogether. Once we get to that point, America just becomes the representation of that old saying, Democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding what to have for dinner. Of course people are not lambs and when large numbers of them believe they arent being treated fairly, they do have the option of getting away from the wolves.
2) Tribalism: The you only have to listen to people you already agree with nature of social media has dramatically ramped up the level of tribalism in the United States. The Right has gotten much more tribal since Donald Trump rose to prominence and the Left has taken tribalism into hyper-drive. Increasingly, liberals treat a range of opinion between Elizabeth Warren and Hillary Clinton as legitimate while everyone else is viewed as a white supremacist Nazi primitive that must be driven down into the gutter for society to move forward. This makes any sort of dialogue or cooperation nearly impossible. When every issue is a zero sum war where one tribe must win or lose, a lot of people quite understandably ask, What do we gain by staying allied to this other tribe?
3) Federal Government Too Powerful: Federalism is a safety valve on the American pressure cooker. As long as people in San Francisco can, for the most part, live the way they want to live while the people in rural North Carolina can, for the most part, live the way they want to live, its much easier for everyone to get along. When people are unnecessarily forced to live under rules they find abhorrent because the federal government has become an octopus that has inserted its tentacles into every minute crevice of American life, it creates discontent on a wide scale. If most Americans wanted to live like people in San Francisco, theyd live in San Francisco.
4) Moral Decline: As Samuel Adams once noted, A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the whole force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.
A large number of Americans HAVE LOST their principles, manners and virtue and it shows through from the sort of politicians they elect, to their rudeness online, to the sort of shallow hedonism and fame whoring they find appealing. Americans are increasingly becoming a soft and decadent people which is problematic because the challenges may change, but we can be certain that Americans will face future challenges every bit as difficult as the ones past generations had to tackle. This is frightening because if you look at the principles, manners and virtue of Americans today, they dont seem capable of dealing with monumental events like the War of 1812, the Civil War, the Depression or World War II. Most people in their twenties probably couldnt tell you why all those events were such challenges in the first place. When America faces a challenge bigger than we can handle because of ineffective politicians and our amusing ourselves to death population, there are no guarantees our republic will survive.
5) The Debt: America is a freight train heading toward a cliff, but because were not moving toward the edge at lightning speed, no one seems all that concerned. However, the fact of the matter is that a reckoning is coming. At some point, probably within the next decade or two, we will face a debt-driven economic collapse; borrowed money will stop flowing into the United States and Medicare/Social Security as we know it will fall apart because we will not have the money to pay it. If and when we get to that point, all bets are off because if regions of the country see an advantage to splitting off from the United States at that point, they will do it.
6) Lack Of A Shared Culture: There has never been a time when American culture was more fragmented than it is today. By that, I mean that there are legions of people with millions of fans or followers on the Internet that the vast majority of Americans have never heard of in their lives. We dont have that shared love of anybody or for that matter, anything. Conservatives and liberals disagree on economics (capitalist/socialist), religion (friendly to Christianity/hostile to Christianity), the Constitution (support/believe in a living Constitution i.e. no Constitution), etc., on and on. The average conservative and the average liberal disagree on 95% of the issues and in the few limited cases where they do look at things the same, they wont support a proposal by the other out of sheer tribalism. Over the long haul, there has be something more to hold a country together than, We wear Nikes, like pop music and play golf.
7) Gun Grabbing: Liberals have fallen in love with the idea of ignoring the 2nd Amendment and confiscating all firearms. The logistics of doing this in a nation with hundreds of millions of guns (many of which are off the books) when many police departments and tens of millions of Americans would not cooperate is seldom discussed. Another thing that seldom seems brought up is that large numbers of conservatives would see this as a prelude to the governments use of force against the citizenry. When it is discussed on the Left, there seems to be an assumption that lone resisters might get into firefights with dozens of police or soldiers, as opposed to ganging up with other formerly law-abiding Americans to waylay gun confiscators, politicians and anti-gun activists at THEIR HOMES in guerrilla actions that would be silently applauded and supported by hundreds of millions of Americans concerned about their freedom. Confiscating guns is a dangerous and stupid idea that could in and of itself end our republic if a serious attempt were ever made to implement it.
All you have to do is ban the federal government from doing anything more than maintaining the military, the money supply, and raising the revenues to pay for them.
I am increasingly optimistic that the curtains will be pulled back and that the average American (80% of the population) will see that they have been lied to and manipulated by evil people and that the country has no good reason to be so divided. It was all a ploy to keep certain people in power. Personally, I think the country is about to turn a corner and head to a much brighter future.
The Black Lives Matter tribe has actually reverted to the feral presla very africanization. Large portions of American cities have been transformed into wilding villages
It's going to be a messy affair.
Like your optimism.
I don't share it, I like it and hope you're right and I'm wrong.
So....how do you do that?
The problem is that the other side doesn’t want that.
Not really, but you are right -partially. In areas like the mid west and most of the south there will be almost zero sectarian violence. The "normals" will rule via state houses and suppress the tiny crazies who will emigrate anyway.
The coastal areas will not be so lucky. In those areas it will be a hybrid of the original where the "war inside a war" i.e. Kansas will be larger on the "mixed" areas of the coasts.
The USA is huge and you cannot project onto the entire political landscape what will happen in NY on to the rest of the USA in a scenario of a general collapse of FedGov.
I think if you started off and limited Senators to two sixty-day sessions per year...you’d make it hard to continue business as usual. The other thing you could do....pass a law that each Senator must live for sixty days per year in their home state, and the max they can be outside of the US is seven days per year.
In the summer of 2016, John Hawkins said If Donald Trump Is the Nominee, Hillary Clinton Has Already Won in November..
In this new article, notice how he simultaneously supports the Second Amendment yet says twaddle like The Right has gotten much more tribal since Donald Trump rose to prominence. What? Who's side are you on, dude?
His Lack of Shared Culture issue sounds more like Reichskanzler Hawkins misses the days when Nationa Review and New Republic had a monopoly on political opinion.
Call me Pollyanna but I too am hopeful for the future. The economy is doing well, Deplorables are in the ascendency and Trump got elected and is MAGAing all the time. In contrast, if this jackwagon had his way, we'd have NO Second Amendment guarantees but at least we'd have a shared culture under Hillary and NR would have more hits than Breitbart.
Were already in a civil war. Its currently a cold one, but make no mistake, we are deep in it. Until 2016, our side lost virtually every battle in the media, academics, and courts. However, we won a decisive battle with Trumps victory. Is this the start of a turn in war or a blip not offsetting the progressive road to ultimate victory? I cant say that I know just yet. If the Dems take back the government in November, conservatives and our views continue to be banished from social media and the public square, and the courts continue to take away our rights, im Not sure that 2016 wasnt just a slight deviation from the inevitable showdown with the totalitarian left.
Cowardice on the side of the correct to retaliate quickly, firmly and with certainty against the lawbreakers. Failure to nip this shit in the bud had a big effect.
We are not sheep. IT AIN'T GOING TO HAPPEN THAT WAY!
Like, maybe, Syria.
More of a when I’d say.
I’m a little north of 40, let’s start the party. I want a good future for our kids.
Progressive since the time of Wilson, have rejected this fundamental notion and have sought to replace it with the idea that elites, our betters, should be the final arbiters of the "social good." They believe government should be unfettered from the constraints placed upon it by the Constitution.
In other words, they are tyrants seeking a reign of tyranny and they are stone-cold evil and anti-Christ. ..which, btw, is why they hate Christianity. Christianity. .or more specifically, Jesus of Nazareth, informs the individual of one's ultimate value. . that "God so loved the WORLD, he gave his only begotten Son." People who accept such a value, can no longer be governed by tyrants. .and that is the essence of this "civil" war. . God or no God. . .America must chose.