Skip to comments.How a McDonald's receipt crippled an elite drug-fighting team
Posted on 06/19/2018 1:21:57 PM PDT by Mr.Unique
Narcotics Detective Kyle Willett made the 10-minute drive to a McDonald's drive-thru for sweet tea and cheeseburgers before returning to work and doing something no one expected.
Alone in his white Chevrolet Tahoe outside the UPS global shipping hub where he worked with an elite task force to intercept drug shipments Willett tore the packing tape off a box, pried open a metal safe and stole piles of cash totaling about $40,000.
But the Louisville Metro Police veteran, well trained in exposing criminals' missteps, made an elementary mistake of his own.
He used his credit card for the $4.76 McDonald's meal and then forgot to remove the receipt from the fast-food bag he crumpled and stuffed inside the box before sending the package on its path to Oakland, California.
Willett didn't know that a West Coast drug interdiction task force anxiously awaited its delivery. A judge had already signed a search warrant to allow investigators to open the package, as it was expected to contain valuable evidence.
The box should have helped investigators snag a drug trafficker. Instead, it netted a cop. It also exposed questionable practices by two other detectives and for 19 months sidelined a task force charged with interrupting a major drug pipeline during the nation's worst drug crisis blamed for more than 400 deaths in Louisville last year.
(Excerpt) Read more at cbs8.com ...
Surveillance footage captured another Louisville Metro Police detective who is also a canine handler and a KSP trooper taking packages to their vehicles, Coleman said.
It united five members from LMPD, one from Kentucky State Police, three from the Jefferson County Sheriff's Office and one part-time agent from Homeland Security Investigations.
Out of 9.5 cops, 3 were caught dirty.
The others must be worried.
Are “corrupt” and “elite” compatible?
What? Dirty cops? Shocking and unprecedented!
Bad guys had a lot of success during that time, no doubt,” said Vic Brown, executive director of the Appalachia High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area.
I am trying to figure out who the bad guys are this guy is referring to. Cops stealing money from freight or drug traffickers.
Drugs are illegal for specifically the reason that criminals can make money off if them. This is just another reason that drugs should not be illegal. If drugs were not illegal criminals couldnt make money off of them.
I’ve been to McDonald’s a lot. Never came away with an extra $40,000 after going thru the drive-thru.
Maybe because I order from the Dollar Menu.
I don’t know if “Extra $40,000 Cash” is on the menu now or what.
If it is, it probably costs an extra $40,000, at least. I imagine.
Now, THAT is a Happy Meal.
Some times, they're ALL bad guys.
Wow. What a lame excuse. They'e stealing drug money from the bad guys, so it's ok?
“Prosecutors pushed for a year in prison, but U.S. District Court Judge Thomas B. Russell shaved that time in half.”
Hmmmm. . . . Prosecutors asked for only a year in prison for stealing $74,000 and destroying an investigation. Then the judge decides to only give him 6 months. Perhaps an investigation of the prosecutors and judge are in order.
Corrupt rank and file drug cops. What a surprise.
98% of cops make the other 2% look bad.
Frequently yes. Elite task forces that bust drug lords get the most opportunity to grab cash and prizes. Look at the Rampart scandal in the late 90s.
How about death by hanging? If you carry a badge you should be held to a higher standard.
Should be. But not for a long time.
Remember the police hooker scandal back -I think in the late 80’s- where the cops would have sex with hookers then arrest the hookers?
Didn’t they even give that a name like “Project” something or other?
Not blue book, but something similarly lame?
I bet you or me would have gotten a much longer sentence than 6 months, more like 10 years!
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.