Skip to comments.President Trump Delays His State of the Union Address
Posted on 01/23/2019 9:38:53 PM PST by Kaslin
President Trump announced late Wednesday night he will give the State of the Union Address when the government shutdown comes to an end.
As the Shutdown was going on, Nancy Pelosi asked me to give the State of the Union Address. I agreed. She then changed her mind because of the Shutdown, suggesting a later date. This is her prerogative - I will do the Address when the Shutdown is over. I am not looking for an.... Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 24, 2019
....alternative venue for the SOTU Address because there is no venue that can compete with the history, tradition and importance of the House Chamber. I look forward to giving a great State of the Union Address in the near future! Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 24, 2019
The announcement comes just hours after House Speaker Nancy Pelosi disinvited the President from giving the address.
"I am writing to inform you the House of Representatives will not consider a concurrent resolution authorizing the President's State of the Union address in the House Chamber until government has opened," Pelosi wrote. "I look forward to welcoming you to the House on a mutually agreeable date for this address when government has opened."
This afternoon, I sent @realDonaldTrump a letter informing him that the House will not consider a concurrent resolution authorizing the Presidents State of the Union address in the House Chamber until government has opened. https://t.co/r1oad0xEAh pic.twitter.com/kGEbayx95u Nancy Pelosi (@SpeakerPelosi) January 23, 2019
At the White House Wednesday afternoon, Trump berated Pelosi for the move, said there would be an alternative for the address and declared the Speaker "can't handle the truth" about the current state of affairs in the country.
"The State of the Union speech has been canceled by Nancy Pelosi because she doesn't want to hear the truth. She doesn't want the American public to hear what's going on. And she's afraid of the truth. And the super-left Democrats, the radical Democrats, what's going on in that party is shocking. I know many people that were Democrats and they're switching over right now, they're switching over quickly. So I hope they know what they're doing for their party. So far they haven't," Trump said. "I will say that the American people want to hear the truth. They have to hear the. truth and the truth is all about - and said I think and I hope well - we were planning on doing a really very important speech in front of the House and the Senate and the Supreme Court and everybody else's that there. It's called the State of the Union, it's in the Constitution. We're supposed to be doing it and now Nancy Pelosi - or 'Nancy' as I call her - she doesn't want to hear the truth and she doesn't want, more importantly, the American people to hear the truth. So we just found out that she's canceled it and I think that's a great blotch on the incredible country that we all love. It's a great, great horrible mark."
"It's a sad thing for our country. We'll do something in the alternative. I'll be talking to you about that at a later date," he continued.
Let’s hope Ann Coulter wakes him up.
If Nancy can stop the SOTU this year, she can stop it next year too.
This makes Trump look VERY VERY WEAK.
Let the little petty child think she won.
He did not cave. Postponing is not caving because he did not change his determination to get funding for the Wall. He’ll stick to his guns.
I don’t care what Ann Coulter thinks, she is just around to sell books and collect money for appearances.
President Trump knows what he is doing. He doesn’t need her advice, he never needed it before, doesn’t need it now.
Do you care about a stupid boring speech, that no one will remember two weeks later, or do you care about a wall?
Exactly, and he should.
The Dems didn’t want Trump to give the speech because they didn’t want the people of this country to hear the truth.
We have been burnt so many times its easy to figure its happening again. I figure you gotta stick with the girl you brought to the dance. Im willing to wait and see. POTUS has done pretty good so far.
I care about bending the other side to our will, because thats what theyre interested in. I care about a nationally televised forum, which would be more
Heavily watched than usual, to expose these frauds and rally the people.
He should declare emergency for the wall.
welcome to free republic
I still wonder why Trump waited two years - till after GOP lostvthe House - to fight for the wall
NOTHING says he has to give it in front of Congress. Send them a damned letter (like they used to do) and give a broadcast address from the Oval Office. That will deprive her of HUGE camera time!
Yes it does, but on the other thread about this, only a very few of us see the reality of what he’s done.
This shut-down, which keeps getting more and more funds somehow, can last for the next TWO years.
I have to agree.
Trump can start the Reduction In Force and fire them all if she doesn’t give in.
I suppose he could kill two birds with one stone, and give an important speech that he doesn’t call an alternative state of the union, but everybody knows it is more or less that.
And in that, he could underscore the important points that he feels the Democrats are trying to prevent the nation from hearing.
(1) The election results were decisive and it’s time that the Congress respected them, in particular, the Democrats.
(2) This seems unlikely because, in reality, the Democrats (and some Republicans too) are either far-left in their thinking, or unwilling to stand up to that ideology — more or less modern-day American communists — and the President feels it is his duty to stop that in its tracks and help the American people regain their liberty.
(the words of the great patriotic song come to mind ... stand beside her, and guide her)
(3) Enhanced border security is necessary, overdue, and desired by a large majority of citizens, even those of Hispanic origin themselves favor it. The Democrats are playing games with the economic and social wellbeing of the American people, and for what? There is a reason and it disturbs us greatly ...
(4) That reason is that the Democratic Party has come under the strong influence of Mexican drug cartels and feeds off the money they funnel to the Democrats through banks that support the leftist party. We can see looking at Cuba and Venezuela what having a corrupt left-wing government can do to a nation’s economy. Honduras, El Salvador and to some extent a few other central American countries are examples of what happens when the problem is addressed too late, and there has been too much social decay from all the corruption.
(5) America deserves better. I ran for president for this reason alone, not for my own ego or personal gain, what do I need this job for when I already made billions? I ran because I know the class of people who are destroying America, I know them as only an insider can know them, and the people who support me are right to be very, very concerned. This is a criminal class and that is why I have issued these warrants (show them) for the arrest of leading figures of what has turned out to be an unprecedented act of conspiracy to commit treason against our great republic.
(even the Donald won’t go this far, or will he?)
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.