An immediate and constant fruit of this faith whereby we are born of God, a fruit which can in no wise be separated from it, no, not for an hour, is power over sin; -- power over outward sin of every kind; over every evil word and work
This is where many people turn their backs on God because, who, please find me one, can obtain this standard, especially because the Word says that if we even think the thought . . .
In my humble opinion, the New Birth is all about atonement for sin, not about abolishing it. All have sinned and come short of the Glory of God. Jesus was our atonement, our covering and reconciliation to God, because we have all sinned and none can, therefore, enter His presence with sin. And the New Birth is acceptance of this fact and the resulting Lordship of Christ because of it. Whether we sin or not.
In my humble opinion, well, the humble don't last too long around here, it seems. But welcome. And I did enjoy your post very much.
You need to read I John 2:1 and see the purpose of WHY John is doing or writting to these people. Then also go to the book of Romans Chapters 6,7,8 and read what Paul has to say about it. And maybe especially this
- 20 Moreover the law entered, that the offence might abound. But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound:
- 21 That as sin hath reigned unto death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord.
- 1 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?
- 2 God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?
- 3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
- 4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
I am not trying to preach at you or belittle you. Just trying to help. I would be very interest in carrying on a discussion on victory over temptation and sin. Please now !!! This DOES NOT mean you are EVER going to have TEMPTATION or EVER SIN AGAIN.
posted on 09/07/2001 11:59:14 AM PDT
Ditto your #93.
posted on 09/07/2001 12:14:28 PM PDT
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson