Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

And agents contacted Muslim leaders in the nation's capital asking for help. Stanley Cohen, an attorney, said at least three clients who are Muslim leaders in Washington received contacts from the FBI "asking for help gathering intelligence on the Muslim community." Cohen said his three clients declined.
1 posted on 09/19/2001 6:08:12 PM PDT by sarcasm
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies ]


To: dennisw
.
2 posted on 09/19/2001 6:09:07 PM PDT by sarcasm
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies ]

To: sarcasm
"It is pretty clear that the networks that conduct these kind of events are harbored, supported, sustained and protected by a variety of foreign governments," he said.

Look, we already know that, okay? WHICH GOVERNMENTS!!??!!??

Can we PLEASE get on with a declaration of war on those states? Please?

7 posted on 09/19/2001 6:33:52 PM PDT by Illbay
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies ]

To: sarcasm
In Detroit?
Or was it really in Dearborn, which has the largest (and most arrogant) Arab community outside the Middle East?
12 posted on 09/19/2001 7:37:45 PM PDT by Redbob45
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies ]

To: sarcasm
Greater Detroit!:

Ground center zero for Muslim immigration to America

18 posted on 09/20/2001 4:12:05 AM PDT by dennisw
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies ]

To: sarcasm
MP's Son Held Over US Terror Attack

The Nation (Nairobi)

September 20, 2001
Posted to the web September 19, 2001

The son of a Kenyan MP was among 75 people rounded up in the United States for questioning about last week's terrorists attacks, it was revealed yesterday.

He was arrested because he appeared in a photograph with one of the suicide hijackers, but it was not immediately known which one, sources said.

The man, whose father represents a constituency in North East Province, was arrested in Texas.

Officials at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs confirmed they had received a report of the arrest but were unable to give any further details, including the town or city where the man was seized.

Ministry officials said the MP had been seeking their help since Monday in getting more information about his son's arrest, but to no avail.

They revealed however that the young man was not being considered as a material witness - a person who has information on the crime.

"They are holding him on suspicion that he may know something about one of the hijackers," the officials said.

Three hijacked passenger jets were used in the attacks on the World Trade Centre in New York and the Pentagon in Washington that left nearly 6,000 people either dead or missing. A fourth hijacked jet crashed near Pittsburgh, killing all on board. It was believed to be heading for Camp David, the US President's weekend retreat.

Sources said the Kenyan was only one of an estimated 75 people being questioned by the Federal Bureau of Investigation in what the US Attorney General John Ashcroft described as the 'largest criminal investigation in the history of this country."

More than 4,000 FBI agents were reported to be working on the case.

Efforts to get information from the FBI were met by various spokesmen who gave the official line "the Bureau is not at liberty to release any information about any of the suspects."

Kenyan High Commissioner Dr Yusuf Nzibo, based in Washington DC, said he was unaware of the arrest.

"It could happen since most of the Kenyans in this country have not registered with our office. We have not been informed of any arrest and will make inquiries," Dr Nzibo said.

News of the Kenyan's arrest came as FBI agents arrested three men in Detroit who were allegedly found with false identification papers plus notes about an American base in Turkey and a Jordanian airport.

The three, from Algeria and Morocco, were arrested early on Tuesday while the FBI was searching for a fourth man, Mr Nabil Al-Marabh, who is believed to have links to Mr Osama bin Laden, the top suspect in the attacks, who was also held responsible for the bomb blasts at the US embassies in Nairobi and Dar in 1998 and the attack in Yemen harbour on the destroyer USS Cole.

The men, two of whom previously worked for an airline meal service at Detroit Metropolitan Airport, were formally charged on Tuesday with possession of false identification papers, including passports, social security cards and visas, according to an affidavit obtained by the Detroit News and Detroit Free Press newspapers.

Mr Al-Marabh, one of about 200 people on the FBI's list of suspects and key witnesses to last week's attacks, was not at home at the time of the arrests, the newspapers said. The three men denied knowing Mr Al-Marabh.

US magistrate Judge Virginia Morgan ordered Mr Karim Koubriti, 23, Mr Farouk Ali-Haimoud, 21, and Mr Ahmed Hannan, 33, to be held without bond until a hearing tomorrow.

Agents found ID badges for an airline caterer at Detroit airport at the home in southwest Detroit where the men were seized. Mr Hannan and Mr Koubriti worked as dishwashers from May to July this year, the newspapers said.

During a search of the home, federal agents allegedly found a notebook with notations in Arabic related to an American base in Turkey, the "American foreign minister," and to Queen Alia International Airport in the Jordanian capital Amman. The notebook also contained a sketch of an airplane servicing area and runways.

Sources close to the case said federal officials were investigating whether the three men had ties to a failed terrorist plot involving the American military base in Incirlik, Turkey.

Saudi officials and media cast doubt on the credibility of a list of 19 suspects named by US investigators as suicide hijackers, saying some of them were still alive and innocent.

The FBI last week identified 19 men as hijackers, including seven trained pilots, who it said commandeered the four passenger jets used in the attacks that left nearly 6,000 were dead and missing.

Although the FBI list did not provide the nationalities of the suspects, Gulf States officials and analysts said in Dubai that the family names appeared to indicate that many of them were Saudis.

The haste in publishing the names of suspects in the attacks has made the media fall into the error of involving innocent people, especially Saudis, who later proved that they were innocent," said Prince Mit'eb bin Abdullah bin Abdul-Aziz, deputy commander of the Saudi National Guards.

A Saudi Foreign Ministry official said they had doubts about the list "because many of those implicated have turned out to be alive here or elsewhere."

Saudi newspapers have published interviews and pictures of at least five of those who appeared on the FBI list since it was released last Friday.

Many Saudis share the same name, reflecting their common membership of large tribes. But some who share the same name as the suspects were alarmed to see their own faces staring back at them from newspapers and television networks which published photographs and personal details of the alleged hijackers.

"The name is my name and the birth date is the same as mine, but I am not the one who bombed the World Trade Centre in New York," said Mr Abdulaziz Alomari, one of the suspects on the list.

21 posted on 09/20/2001 4:22:34 AM PDT by kcvl
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies ]

To: sarcasm
Stanley Cohen seems to show up a lot, doesn't he? Who's paying his bill?
23 posted on 09/20/2001 4:35:05 AM PDT by Lion's Cub
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies ]

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article


FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson