Skip to comments.Joe 6-pack's Questions for Liberals
Posted on 09/29/2001 7:44:31 AM PDT by Joe 6-pack
Our ranks have been joined by many as of late, due no doubt, to recent events. As we carry our battle forward, here are a few arrows for your quivers:
"Joe 6-pack's Questions for Liberals:"
1. If, conceding the liberal argument, homosexuality is a genetic predisposition, and a test becomes available to let expectant mothers know if their, "fetus," is predisposed to homosexuality, should that mother be allowed to abort the "fetus," on that basis? If she would abort a "homosexual fetus," does that constitute a "hate crime?" Does preventing her from doing so impose on a woman's right to choose?
2. If we were not meant to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?
3. Suppose you and one other person were shipwrecked on a desert island, not under the jurisdictional law of any state and/ or country. Is it morally right for that person to kill you, or you to kill that person to stretch the food supply? If not, what makes it morally wrong?
4. If sexual activity of any sort is "ok," provided it is between consenting adults, does this include incest between children over 18 and their parents? If not, why? Why not... 17? 16? 15? 14?
5. If the government can arbitrarily set the minimum wage at $5.35 an hour, why not set it at $200.00 an hour? Wouldn't this improve the lot of the poor and lower working class? To what degree should the employer be able to determine the value of labor?
6. If you over-paid a shop owner $20.00 for a new carpet cleaner, would you not expect a refund or credit? Would you consider it theft if the business kept the overpayment without refunding or crediting you? Does not, an anticipated multi-billion dollar surplus indicate an overpayment on the part of the American taxpayer?
7. If your 23-year old daughter had an internship with a major corporation, and had spent her summer on her knees, under the desk of the married CEO, would you demand his resignation, or support his retention because he had been a "good," CEO? What if the CEO lied outright about the incident in a sexual harassment lawsuit filed by your daughter?
8. Is it truly and logically possible to be governed by our consent without ultimately being given the resort of arms? How is it possible that a human can honestly and legitimately consent without owning the means to refuse?
9. What paragraph(s) of the Constitution outline the responsibilities of the Department of Education?
10. If we, as a nation and political system have no moral superiority over nations and governments, why do we spend public monies on maintaining memorials to those that have died in order to preserve and spread our way of life? Should we no longer fund these projects?
11. If reparations for past wrongs can be demanded by the descendants of the victims from the descendants of the perpetrators, should native Americans be named as defendants in law suits against the tobacco industry? If, as many Afro-centrist scholars contend, Ancient Egyptian Civilization was the product of black africans, are not the descendants of Israelite slaves who built the pyramids owed reparations?
12. If one maintains that Darwinian evolutionary theory should be taught as fact, and at the exclusion of all other theories in public schools, one must subscribe to the notion of "survival of the fittest." If one believes that, "survival of the fittest," is a natural, evolutionary process, does the Endangered Species Act set a dangerous precedent in man's interference with nature? Wouldn't the artificially protracted preservation of a species destined for extinction result in an ecological catastrophe?
13. If you knew for a fact that a person was HIV positive, would you allow your teen-ager to have sexual intercourse with that person if they promised to use a condom they got from the school nurse? Would you have intercourse with someone you knew was HIV+, as long as you used a condom?
Gimme a hand and utilize your most excellent bump list!
Roman Candles at 3 paces..!!
Screaming "OUCH, THAT'S HOT" is not an option!!
Thanks for telling others what they should do, and how they should define their world views...you're a liberal, and not in the truest sense of a Nat Hentoff, but rather in the modern mode of dicky gephardt.
clubbing salmon comes to mind. another great article. thanks for the bump.
I hope your oil level is o.k. Most women I know consider engine oil an optional accessory, and generally treat their men's dip-sticks far too casually.
Do you really believe this? If this had been Nazi Germany, a single round would have ended Gandhi's non-violent protest. A government that doesn't want to allow disent will not, unless the people make them and can stop violence against the disenters!
Au Contraire! The constitution banned all that noise. It was that way for about 150 years - until FDR showed up. The Supreme court under FDR threw out many goofy laws. FDR tried to subvert the constitution to do an end run around the contitionalists in the court. Then suddenly, the supreme court began to see things his way. They found all sorts of "penumbras" that did not exist before.
Up to that time, the General Welfare clause was a worthy statement in the constitution and was regarded with a bit of reverence. After FDR, it was regarded as the gateway to the ever expansion of governemnt. The socialists had won the title of definers of what is equal, just, constitutional, etc. without a shot fired!
The "rights" of the federal government were held to a finite measure up to FDR. After FDR, the federal government could have no bounds. That is were we are at now. Those idiots in Washington moan about not having enough money to spend, as if $2 trillion dollars is not enough.
I side with libertarians in the need for constitutional reform - that is, to view the federal government as it it was designed to be regarded. The reference then to "the Department of Education" is with this in mind. Your answer is truly a liberal answer. Why is it that most liberals are happy having there lives micro-managed from a small committee in Washington?
Perhaps Joe's definitions are way off for democrats but I do not think so far off for today's liberals. The leadership of the Dem party has been overrun by Leftists. The difference? -Primarily a conscience. The Leftists who hide behind the cloak of so-called liberalism are the nearest things to communists.
I was a registered Democrat a long time ago, as was Ronald Reagan, as was Charlton Heston, as was my father. The one thread we have in common is that the democratic party had left us. And, where did they go?
I cannot fathom why a devout Christian would vote for the same people who are dead set on keeping abortion legal. I cannot fathom why rights as defined as a gift from God are so maligned.
The minimum wage does destroy jobs, even when it's set at that level.