To: Dixie republican
These were the promises that were included in the covenant God made with Abraham. Here is a list:
1. A great nation was to come out of Abraham, namely, the nation of Israel (Genesis 12:2; 13:16; 15:5; 17:1-2, 7; 22:17b)
2. Abraham was promised a land -- specifically, the Land of Canaan (Genesis 12:1, 7; 13:14-15, 17; 15:17-21; 17:8). Later we learn that the privilege of Abraham's descendants, the Jewish people, for living in their land under God's blessing is conditioned upon their obedience (see, for example, Deuteronomy 28-29). But whether the Jews are physically residing inside or outside of the land, or whether anyone else may control it by conquest or any other means, the land belongs to the Jewish people by divine right.
3. Abraham himself was to be greatly blessed (12:2b; 15:6; 22:15-17a)
4. Abraham's name would be great (12:2c)
5. Abraham will be a blessing to others (12:2d)
6. Those who bless will be blessed (12:3a)
7. The one who curses will be cursed (12:3b) -- again and again this principle is operative in the prophets as they pronounce judgment on the nations surrounding Israel for the treatment of His chosen people.
8. In Abraham all the earth will ultimately be blessed, a promise of Gentile blessing (12:3c; 22:18)
9. Abraham would receive a son through his wife Sarah (15:1-4; 17:16-21)
10. His descendants would undergo the Egyptian bondage (15:13-14)
11. Other nations as well as Israel would come forth from Abraham (17:3-4, 6; the Arab states are some of these nations)
12. His name was to be changed from Abram to Abraham (17:5)
13. Sarai's name was to be changed to Sarah (17:15)
14. There was to be a token/sign of the covenant -- circumcision (17:9-14).
A whole lot of people believe that Abraham's decendents are more than the Jewish people. If his decendants are like the sand on the coast, wouldn't that be more than 13 million?
I meant the people of the covenent, are believed to be decended from the entire 12 tribes, and most of those are lost to history. Either way, G-d promises that his chosen will recieve all the land to the Euphrates.
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson