Skip to comments.Communist Goals (1963) My title, The reason the media is biased in favor of un-American attitudes.
Posted on 03/02/2003 11:04:26 AM PST by o_zarkman44
Mr. HERLONG. Mr. Speaker, Mrs. Patricia Nordman of De Land, Fla., is an ardent and articulate opponent of communism, and until recently published the De Land Courier, which she dedicated to the purpose of alerting the public to the dangers of communism in America.
At Mrs. Nordman's request, I include in the RECORD, under unanimous consent, the following "Current Communist Goals," which she identifies as an excerpt from "The Naked Communist," by Cleon Skousen:
[From "The Naked Communist," by Cleon Skousen]
CURRENT COMMUNIST GOALS
1. U.S. acceptance of coexistence as the only alternative to atomic war.
2. U.S. willingness to capitulate in preference to engaging in atomic war.
3. Develop the illusion that total disarmament [by] the United States would be a demonstration of moral strength.
4. Permit free trade between all nations regardless of Communist affiliation and regardless of whether or not items could be used for war.
5. Extension of long-term loans to Russia and Soviet satellites.
6. Provide American aid to all nations regardless of Communist domination.
7. Grant recognition of Red China. Admission of Red China to the U.N.
8. Set up East and West Germany as separate states in spite of Khrushchev's promise in 1955 to settle the German question by free elections under supervision of the U.N.
9. Prolong the conferences to ban atomic tests because the United States has agreed to suspend tests as long as negotiations are in progress.
10. Allow all Soviet satellites individual representation in the U.N.
11. Promote the U.N. as the only hope for mankind. If its charter is rewritten, demand that it be set up as a one-world government with its own independent armed forces. (Some Communist leaders believe the world can be taken over as easily by the U.N. as by Moscow. Sometimes these two centers compete with each other as they are now doing in the Congo.)
12. Resist any attempt to outlaw the Communist Party.
13. Do away with all loyalty oaths.
14. Continue giving Russia access to the U.S. Patent Office.
15. Capture one or both of the political parties in the United States.
16. Use technical decisions of the courts to weaken basic American institutions by claiming their activities violate civil rights.
17. Get control of the schools. Use them as transmission belts for socialism and current Communist propaganda. Soften the curriculum. Get control of teachers' associations. Put the party line in textbooks.
18. Gain control of all student newspapers.
19. Use student riots to foment public protests against programs or organizations which are under Communist attack.
20. Infiltrate the press. Get control of book-review assignments, editorial writing, policymaking positions.
21. Gain control of key positions in radio, TV, and motion pictures.
22. Continue discrediting American culture by degrading all forms of artistic expression. An American Communist cell was told to "eliminate all good sculpture from parks and buildings, substitute shapeless, awkward and meaningless forms."
23. Control art critics and directors of art museums. "Our plan is to promote ugliness, repulsive, meaningless art."
24. Eliminate all laws governing obscenity by calling them "censorship" and a violation of free speech and free press.
25. Break down cultural standards of morality by promoting pornography and obscenity in books, magazines, motion pictures, radio, and TV.
26. Present homosexuality, degeneracy and promiscuity as "normal, natural, healthy."
27. Infiltrate the churches and replace revealed religion with "social" religion. Discredit the Bible and emphasize the need for intellectual maturity which does not need a "religious crutch."
28. Eliminate prayer or any phase of religious expression in the schools on the ground that it violates the principle of "separation of church and state."
29. Discredit the American Constitution by calling it inadequate, old-fashioned, out of step with modern needs, a hindrance to cooperation between nations on a worldwide basis.
30. Discredit the American Founding Fathers. Present them as selfish aristocrats who had no concern for the "common man."
31. Belittle all forms of American culture and discourage the teaching of American history on the ground that it was only a minor part of the "big picture." Give more emphasis to Russian history since the Communists took over.
32. Support any socialist movement to give centralized control over any part of the culture--education, social agencies, welfare programs, mental health clinics, etc.
33. Eliminate all laws or procedures which interfere with the operation of the Communist apparatus.
34. Eliminate the House Committee on Un-American Activities.
35. Discredit and eventually dismantle the FBI.
36. Infiltrate and gain control of more unions.
37. Infiltrate and gain control of big business.
38. Transfer some of the powers of arrest from the police to social agencies. Treat all behavioral problems as psychiatric disorders which no one but psychiatrists can understand [or treat].
39. Dominate the psychiatric profession and use mental health laws as a means of gaining coercive control over those who oppose Communist goals.
40. Discredit the family as an institution. Encourage promiscuity and easy divorce.
41. Emphasize the need to raise children away from the negative influence of parents. Attribute prejudices, mental blocks and retarding of children to suppressive influence of parents.
42. Create the impression that violence and insurrection are legitimate aspects of the American tradition; that students and special-interest groups should rise up and use ["]united force["] to solve economic, political or social problems.
43. Overthrow all colonial governments before native populations are ready for self-government.
44. Internationalize the Panama Canal.
45. Repeal the Connally reservation so the United States cannot prevent the World Court from seizing jurisdiction [over domestic problems. Give the World Court jurisdiction] over nations and individuals alike.
Would they really say that? Would they claim their fellow traveler, Picasso was putting out repulsive, meaningless art?
It depends upon the venue, doesn't it? This is a public forum. As it says in the reading above, the "wording of that document" as read into the Congressional Record, came from Dr. Skounsen's book: The Naked Communist. The book is currently not available on Amazon or Barnes and Noble or I would have posted you a link (it is listed on both in case you want to read the reviews). You might try obtaining it HERE (I don't have a copy or I would make a meaningless (to you) citation). If you want a specific citation, that takes someone who has a copy of the book. I don't. You might ask Freeper forest. IIRC, he has the original copy of the Congressional Record.
I am more and more convinced that this is a sham since neither you nor anyone else here seems to be able to answer my basic questions, or even interested in researching them!
Please don't give me an argument from authority. Though I respect Charlton Heston and Rush, for example, both used the bogus Hitler gun control quote (much to their embarrassment). To their credit, both admitted their error and stopped giving the quote. Will the circulators of the "Goals" do the same. As to the Congressional record, I can give you some real whoppers published there from Maxine Waters.
Seeing as he was a professor at BYU and authored seventeen books, Dr Skousen's CV is easily understood by doing a few searches and reading up on the background. If you have the curiosity (which I doubt; as I think you are just playing stupid games), avail yourself of it. There are ample reviews of his work at Amazon for example and one at the site I gave you that indicates The Naked Communist has over 100 sources.
You clearly don't have "the authority" to deem it bogus, do you?
Skousen's book The Naked Communist, published in 1958, is one of the most important books ever written for grasping Communist Party activities during the Cold War. I read parts of the book back in the 1960s.
I understand that copies of Skousen's famous and important book are still available. I would suggest that you do an internet search and get a copy of the book-- and come up to speed, not disparage the list of the 45 goals as an "urban legend."
On October 25, 1999, Geoff Metcalf presented Skousen's list in a column on worldnetdaily.com, archived at http://www.freedomtapeclub.com/geoff_metcalf.htm. Metcalf said "I could (and probably should) write separate columns on each of the following items in the subsequent list of 1958 Communist Goals. However, this information (and commentary) is not an event, but a process. Therefore, as an introduction (as I practice restraint) here is the Skousen 1958 laundry list/wish list of Communist goals. As you read these please note these were 1958 Communist goals. This is not another cyberspace urban legend. Florida Congressman A.S. Herlong Jr. entered this list into the Congressional Records in 1963.
It is interesting that you assumed that the list was an urban legend. Many people react this way. It's because the whole mess is unbelievable to most people.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.