Storing a weapon with a round in the chamber isn't too bright.
Granted, I certainly wouldn't wait until I'm sure the burglar can hear me before chambering a round, I'll do that as soon as I pick up the weapon.
1. Bring a weapon. Preferably, bring at least two.
2. Bring all of your friends who have weapons. Bring their friends who have weapons.
3. Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive.
4. Only hits count. Close doesn't count. The only thing worse than a miss is a slow miss.
5. If your shooting stance is good, you're probably not moving fast enough, nor using cover correctly.
6. Move away from your attacker. Distance is your friend. (Lateral and diagonal movement are preferred.)
7. If you can choose what to bring to a gunfight, bring a big weapon and a friend with a big weapon.
8. In ten years nobody will remember the details of caliber, stance, or tactics. They will only remember who lived and who didn't.
9. If you are not shooting, you should be communicating, reloading, and running.
10. Accuracy is relative: most combat shooting is more dependent on "pucker factor" than the inherent accuracy of the weapon.
11. Use a weaponthat works EVERY TIME. "All skill is in vain when an Angel pisses in the flintlock of your musket."
12. Someday someone may kill you with your own weapon, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
13. In combat, there are no rules, always cheat; always win. The only unfair fight is the one you lose.
14. Have a plan.
15. Have a back-up plan, because the first one won't work.
16. Use cover or concealment as much as possible. The visible target should be in FRONT of YOUR weapon.
17. Flank your adversary when possible. Protect yours.
18. Don't drop your guard.
19. Always tactical load and threat scan 360 degrees.
20. Watch their hands. Hands kill. (In God we trust. Everyone else, keep your hands where I can see them).
21. Decide to be aggressive ENOUGH, quickly ENOUGH.
The faster you finish the fight, the less shot you will get.
22. Be courteous to everyone, friendly to no one.
23. Be polite. Be professional. But have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
24. Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
25. Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun, the caliber of which does not start with a ".4."