Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

CNN Suffers Post-War Trauma
IMDB.com ^ | 5-26-03

Posted on 05/26/2003 12:22:31 PM PDT by Paul Atreides

click here to read article


Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first previous 1-2021-4041-6061-8081-100 next last
To: Paul Atreides
CNN cofounder Reese Schonfeld observed on his website Friday.

So where's the link to his website? Sounds like interesting reading.

21 posted on 05/26/2003 12:47:17 PM PDT by FreedomCalls (It's the "Statue of Liberty" not the "Statue of Security.")
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Comment #22 Removed by Moderator

To: TomB
CNN: ARE YOU BRUTALLY TORTURING AND MURDERING YOUR POPULACE? NOT TO WORRY! HERE AT CNN, WE'LL WORK OUT A DEAL TO REPORT WHAT GOES ON IN YOUR COUNTRY. EXCEPT FOR THOSE PESKY HUMAN RIGHTS VIOLATIONS, OF COURSE.
23 posted on 05/26/2003 12:48:29 PM PDT by Paul Atreides
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 19 | View Replies]

To: FreedomCalls
I don't know. That was all that was in the article.
24 posted on 05/26/2003 12:49:23 PM PDT by Paul Atreides
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 21 | View Replies]

To: Paul Atreides
Do they still that sewer dwelling, lying Clinton weasel on CNN? We know Eason (sp?) lied about all sorts of Iraqi issues. Why should we not assume he is lying about lots of other issues, as well?

They whine about some imaginary non-left wing media. No such thing! We just now after all these years have a free media where they extremist liberal elitists are no long the only ones who access to information distribution. CNN and the really big bucks, celebrity leftists on the old stations, for the first time, have honest competition.

25 posted on 05/26/2003 12:50:04 PM PDT by Tacis
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Paul Atreides
www.meandted.com
26 posted on 05/26/2003 12:50:30 PM PDT by Gillmeister
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 24 | View Replies]

To: Paul Atreides
HA HA HA, lets keep these liberal idiots on the ropes...



27 posted on 05/26/2003 12:50:46 PM PDT by ThreePuttinDude (The New York Times-National Enquirer...one and the same)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Comment #28 Removed by Moderator

To: Gillmeister

http://www.meandted.com
29 posted on 05/26/2003 12:51:29 PM PDT by Gillmeister
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 26 | View Replies]

To: Paul Atreides
"Since the end of the Iraq war, CNN has seen a disastrous plunge in its ratings from where they were prior to the war, CNN cofounder Reese Schonfeld observed on his website Friday."

The Revolution Continues...

: D
30 posted on 05/26/2003 12:51:41 PM PDT by Pubbie (Bill Owens for Prez and Jeb as VP in '08.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Paul Atreides
"This is unprecedented and calls for immediate action."

Hey, I've got a novel idea!

How about reporting the news in an unbiased fashion instead of resembling an ongoing DNC Convention?

31 posted on 05/26/2003 12:53:24 PM PDT by Gritty
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: BOBTHENAILER
Re: Fox news up 42 percent over its pre-war numbers.

Looks like they have staying power.

32 posted on 05/26/2003 12:56:15 PM PDT by ChadGore (Frustrate one liberal a day, that's all we ask.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

To: Paul Atreides; martin_fierro; reformed_democrat; Loyalist; =Intervention=; PianoMan; GOPJ; ...
What Reese actually wrote:

Friday, May 23rd, 2003

Bad News*

For the six weeks, from January 1st to February 15th, CNN's market share averaged 31.5%; Headline News had 12% for a total of 43.5%. This week, post Gulf War II; CNN's market share is down to 27% with Headline at 10.3% for a combined total of 37.3%.  That represents a drop of six share points. On the other hand, FoxNews is up to 51%, nine share points higher than the 42% share it had three months ago.

On April 9th, in the midst of the war, CNN averaged 35.4%. During the war they did better than they are doing post war. Since the end of the war CNN/Headline News have lost about fifteen percent of their audience share. This is unprecedented and calls for immediate action. This is not a time for panic but it is a time for analysis. What is CNN doing wrong? How can it be fixed? Wall Street is unlikely to wait long for answers.

* Save for late Friday on a holiday weekend. Nobody reads anything then.


Special CNN Schadenfreude Ping!


Schadenfreude

This is the New York Times Schadenfreude Ping List. Freepmail me to be added or dropped.


33 posted on 05/26/2003 12:58:13 PM PDT by Timesink
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Paul Atreides
Why doesn't CNN just hoist a Communist Flag and be done with all the speculation?

This network, and the major broadcast networks, are nothing but shills for neo-socialists.

CNN is blocked on the television sets in this household. It is bad enough having to endure American Idol.
34 posted on 05/26/2003 12:59:13 PM PDT by Duramaximus ( American Born, Gun_Toting , Aerospace Worker Living In A State That Worships Socialism)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Kurdistani
Re:Rather than reporting, they tried like crazy to turn people against the war, and nobody wanted to hear it(including me and my freind).

They were selling appeasement, and the people wern't buying. What's amazing? They still aren't.

35 posted on 05/26/2003 12:59:20 PM PDT by ChadGore (Frustrate one liberal a day, that's all we ask.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

To: Paul Atreides
"This is unprecedented and calls for immediate action." - you don't think they might resort to maybe telling the ...the...truth?
36 posted on 05/26/2003 1:01:04 PM PDT by Free_at_last_-2001 (is clinton in jail yet?)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Paul Atreides
I fear that the "immeadiate action" he is refering to may be seen in efforts of democrat lawmakers to kill Fox News and Clear Channel...there have been rumblings about "too much control of media in too few hands", and these folks are NOT talking about Time-Warner-AOl, CBS, NBC, ABC Viacom.
37 posted on 05/26/2003 1:04:57 PM PDT by Moby Grape
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Cathryn Crawford
Further Reese:

Wednesday, May 21st, 2003

Wednesday with Cynthia, News Depression

Total news viewing is down for the fifth straight week. Just a small dip this time, 5% total day, 3% prime from last week. On the total day average, 1,794,000 Americans were watching the four television cable news networks each quarter-hour. In prime time the networks averaged 2,801,000 total viewers.

At the height of the Iraqi war, the week of March 17th, there were 13,000,000 people watching news in prime time and 8,420,000 in total day. That?s a 78.7% drop in total viewing and in prime time it was down 78.5%. About five times as many Americans watched cable news two months ago as are watching it now and Fox is doing the best job of retaining its war time audience.

Once again FoxNews dominated, finishing seventh in prime time and total day viewing among the basic cable ad supported networks. Once again CNN is no longer in the top ten and MSNBC and Headline News aren?t even close.

Market share breakdown for the week:

Prime Time:


38 posted on 05/26/2003 1:07:03 PM PDT by Timesink
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

To: Paul Atreides
Just how wrong was the left?

I saved this image from a leftie web site during the first week of the war.

I saved this from a leftie web site during the first week of the war as proof of how wrong they were. And this was the kind of BS that CNN was "ballancing" it's coverage with. Notice how the worst picture they could cme up with was a U.S. soldger PUTTING ON HIS HELMET!

39 posted on 05/26/2003 1:09:16 PM PDT by ChadGore (Frustrate one liberal a day, that's all we ask.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Paul Atreides
There is nothing wrong with your television set.
Do not attempt to adjust the picture.
We are controlling transmission.
We will control the horizontal.
We will control the vertical.
We can change the focus to a soft blur,
or sharpen it to crystal clarity.
For the next hour sit quietly,
and we will control all that you see and hear.
You are about to participate in a great adventure.
You are about to experience the awe and mystery
that reaches from the inner mind
to the distorted reality of the goofy, liberal social engineers of the mainstream media.
40 posted on 05/26/2003 1:13:34 PM PDT by JoeVortex
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]


Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first previous 1-2021-4041-6061-8081-100 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson