Free Republic
Browse · Search
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

BREAKING: Conned big time "CIA Witness" to White House Lying about Intel story found to be FRAUD
Capitol Hill Blue ^ | July 9, 2003 | Doug Thompson

Posted on 07/09/2003 4:04:00 PM PDT by Doug Thompson

Damn, I hate it when I've been had and I've been had big time.

In 1982, while I was working for Congressman Manuel Lujan of New Mexico, a man came up to a me during a gathering in Albuquerque and introduced himself as Terrance J. Wilkinson. He said he was a security consultant and gave me a business card with his name and just a Los Angeles phone number.

A few weeks later, he called my Washington office and asked to meet for lunch. He seemed to know a lot about the nuclear labs in New Mexico and said he had conducted "security profiles" for both Los Alamos and Sandia National Labs. Lujan served on the committee with oversight on both labs and he offered his services if we ever needed briefings.

We already had nuclear experts on the committee, on loan from the Department of Energy, and we never used Wilkinson for briefings but we kept in touch over the years. He said he had served in Vietnam with Army Special Force, worked for Air America, later for the FBI and as a consultant for the CIA. He said he had helped other Republican members of Congress I called some friends in other GOP offices and they said yes, they knew Terry Wilkinson.

"You can trust him, he's one of the good guys," one chief of staff told me. When I left politics and returned to journalism, Wilkinson became a willing, but always unnamed, source.

Over the last couple of years, Wilkinson served as either a primary or secondary source on a number of stories that have appeared in Capitol Hill Blue regarding intelligence activities. In early stories, I collaborated his information with at least one more source. His information usually proved accurate and, over time, I came to depend on him as a source without additional backup.

On Tuesday, we ran a story headlined "White House admits Bush wrong about Iraqi nukes." For the first time, Wilkinsson said he was willing to go on the record and told a story about being present, as a CIA contract consultant, at two briefings with Bush. He said he was retired now and was fed up and wanted to go public.

"He (Bush) said that if the current operatives working for the CIA couldn't prove the story was true, then the agency had better find some who could," Wilkinson said in our story. "He said he knew the story was true and so would the world after American troops secured the country."

After the story ran, we received a number of emails or phone calls that (1) either claimed Wilkinson was lying or (2) doubted his existence. I quickly dismissed the claims. After all, I had known this guy for 20+ years and had no doubt about his credibility. Some people wanted to talk to him, so I forwarded those requests on to him via email. He didn't answer my emails, which I found odd. I should have listened to a bell that should have been going off in my ear.

Today, a White House source I know and trust said visitor logs don't have any record of anyone named Terrance J. Wilkinson ever being present at a meeting with the President. Then a CIA source I trust said the agency had no record of a contract consultant with that name. "Nobody, and I mean nobody, has ever heard of this guy," my source said.

I tried calling Terry's phone number. I got a recorded message from a wireless phone provider saying the number was no longer in service. I tried a second phone number I had for him. Same result.

Then a friend from the Hill called.

"You've been had," she said. "I know about this guy. He's been around for years, claiming to have been in Special Forces, with the CIA, with NSA. He hasn't worked for any of them and his name is not Terrance Wilkinson."

Both of his phone numbers have Los Angeles area codes but an identity check through Know-X today revealed no record of anyone named Terrance J. Wilkinson ever having lived in LA or surrounding communities.

His email address turns out to be a blind forward to a free email service where anyone can sign up and get an email account. Because it was not one of the usual "free" services like Hotmail, Yahoo or such, I did not recognize it as one (although you'd think that someone like me would have known better).

The bottom line is that someone has been running a con on me for 20 some years and I fell for it like a little old lady in a pigeon drop scheme. I've spent the last two hours going through the database of Capitol Hill Blue stories and removing any that were based on information from Wilkinson (or whoever he is). I've also removed his name, quotes and claims from Tuesday's story about the White House and the uranium claims.

Erasing the stories doesn't erase the fact that we ran articles containing informattion that, given the source, were most likely inaccurate. And it doesn't erase the sad fact that my own arrogance allowed me to be conned.

It will be a long time (and perhaps never) before I trust someone else who comes forward and offers inside information. The next one who does had better be prepared to produce a birth certificate, a driver's license and his grandmother's maiden name.

Any news publication exists on the trust of its readers. Because I depended on a source that was not credible, I violated the trust that the readers of Capitol Hill Blue placed in me.

I was wrong. I am sorry.

© Copyright 2003 by Capitol Hill Blue

TOPICS: Breaking News; Foreign Affairs; Government; News/Current Events; US: New Mexico
KEYWORDS: 20yearsofsuckerhood; admiralboorda; afoolandhissources; andstillnonames; apology; batboy; beatitdoug; bush; capitalhillblue; capitolhillbs; ccrm; chb; chump; cia; correction; corrrection; debkaneedsdoug; dougthompson; fraud; gocheckcaponesvault; hoax; inaccuracies; iraq; itsalongroadbackdoug; keywordsgohere; laughingstock; leavefrdoug; lies; longwalkshortpier; loseyourdayjob; lostcredibility; makesthenytlookgood; marcash; markash; meaculpa; media; mediabias; nosoupforyou; notreadyforprimetime; rankamateurmistake; retraction; ruinedpermanently; salonishiring; scoop; suuuuuucker; terrancejwilkinson; terrancewilkinson; thescoopthatwasnt; tookthedougforawalk; truthout; uranium; whosthefraud; wilkerson; wilkinson; wilkinsonsbitch; wmd; yourestilllyingdoug; youvebeenowneddoug
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first previous 1-20 ... 61-8081-100101-120 ... 1,321-1,337 next last
To: rwfromkansas
You have FR Mail
81 posted on 07/09/2003 4:46:27 PM PDT by MJY1288
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 75 | View Replies]

To: Dog
You have mail
82 posted on 07/09/2003 4:46:32 PM PDT by Mo1
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

To: Dog
"William good job......the story here is who went to all this trouble to accuse the President of lieing.."

Certainly NOT the Democrats....

They LOVE Presidents who lie under oath, lie when not under oath, -- telling big lies, little lies, useless lies, cover his ass lies, puff up his caved in chest lies, white lies, black lies, even lies about his pitiful whimpy and twisted little get my drift?

So it couldn't be those a$$holes....

Semper Fi

83 posted on 07/09/2003 4:46:38 PM PDT by river rat (War works......It brings Peace... Give war a chance to destroy Jihadists...)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 24 | View Replies]

To: Doug Thompson; Wordsmith; pokerbuddy0; RaceBannon; harpseal; riri; Badabing Badaboom; Princeton; ...
Hey, Doug!

What does he look like? Age, height, eye color, etc? Any distinguishing features? The more details the better...

Put out a Freeper APB!

(Could he have been a spook, BTW?)
84 posted on 07/09/2003 4:47:21 PM PDT by TaxRelief (Welcome to the #1 discussion board dedicated to the sustenance of a free republic.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: William McKinley
On Tuesday, we ran a story headlined "White House admits Bush wrong about Iraqi nukes."

That is not entirely the case. Now what was the original title of this article? "White House admits Bush lied about Iraqi nukes"

I think this apology by Doug is a tad weak in the sense that Bush has been slimed in a big way and his character questioned. Now we see the story was picked up and printed elsewhere. Not to mention all those lame-brains over at DU and such that will parrot this article for the next decade after swallowing this article hook, line and s(t)inker.
85 posted on 07/09/2003 4:47:26 PM PDT by Registered (77% of the mentally ill live in poverty, that leaves 23% doing quite well!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

To: Excuse_My_Bellicosity
86 posted on 07/09/2003 4:47:58 PM PDT by Pan_Yans Wife (Lurking since 2000.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: unspun

Are we sure this is the real Doug Thompson?

87 posted on 07/09/2003 4:49:05 PM PDT by piasa (Attitude adjustments offered here free of charge.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 79 | View Replies]

To: Dog
I agree. This smells.

The original story was based on a phony source. Now it is exposed by another (unnamed) source?

I was born in the morning, but it wasn't this morning!

88 posted on 07/09/2003 4:49:09 PM PDT by Harmless Teddy Bear (It'll take more than 100 years to evolve a better human.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 72 | View Replies]

89 posted on 07/09/2003 4:49:28 PM PDT by firewalk
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 88 | View Replies]

To: Pan_Yans Wife
Wow!! Thanks for the ping!
90 posted on 07/09/2003 4:49:47 PM PDT by Excuse_My_Bellicosity (This space for rent, call 555-9388.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 86 | View Replies]

To: Registered
You have FR Mail
91 posted on 07/09/2003 4:50:52 PM PDT by MJY1288
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 85 | View Replies]

To: Doug Thompson
Well, Doug, you must feel pretty bad having the world see that you made a very public and big mistake.

If it makes you feel any better, you're not alone. In November of 2002, I walked out of a voting booth. I. J. Hudson of the local television station happened to be there, and asked me who I voted for. I proudly told millions of people that I voted for Bill Clinton, and even explained why.

Man, I've never lived that one down. I'm of course a conservative now.
92 posted on 07/09/2003 4:51:55 PM PDT by Our man in washington
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: deport
Thank you for the ping, my friend. Reading through now.
93 posted on 07/09/2003 4:53:25 PM PDT by DaughterOfAnIwoJimaVet (670: neighbor of the neighbor of The Beast.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

To: MJY1288
If he has been sourced for the past 20 years, why is it that his name comes up nowhere in every search engine

He did cover it in the article. Whoever this guy is he always wanted to be anonymous, until this time. He also says that he got a second source for early stories and was satisfied that the guy was genuine based on those confirmations. It's a classic intelligence op. A long term one. A well financed one.

Someone has been actively twisting "anonymous" source information for at least 20 years to news media in Washington. They've done it in a slow, patient and very expensive way. Who might do that? Ask who benefits, particularly from this latest attack on Bush. It ain't Republicans (John McCain excepted).

Anyone got a queen of hearts handy?

94 posted on 07/09/2003 4:53:28 PM PDT by Phsstpok
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 73 | View Replies]

Hey, where are you on this one you LoOSer!?
95 posted on 07/09/2003 4:53:48 PM PDT by Registered (77% of the mentally ill live in poverty, that leaves 23% doing quite well!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 85 | View Replies]

To: Registered
He's banned, by JimRob HIMSELF (reverent bow towards Fresno).
96 posted on 07/09/2003 4:54:31 PM PDT by Poohbah (Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 95 | View Replies]

To: Poohbah
I knew that! lol
97 posted on 07/09/2003 4:55:20 PM PDT by Registered (77% of the mentally ill live in poverty, that leaves 23% doing quite well!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 96 | View Replies]

To: Our man in washington
you mean 1992.....:)
98 posted on 07/09/2003 4:55:27 PM PDT by rwfromkansas ("There is dust enough on some of your Bibles to write 'damnation' with your fingers." C.H. Spurgeon)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 92 | View Replies]

To: piasa; Doug Thompson
Are we sure this is the real Doug Thompson?


Are you, or have you ever been, a member of the Packer Fan Club?

99 posted on 07/09/2003 4:56:06 PM PDT by unspun ("Do everything in love." - No I don't look anything like her but I do like to hear "Unspun w/ AnnaZ")
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 87 | View Replies]

To: Registered
He got banned...:-)
100 posted on 07/09/2003 4:56:46 PM PDT by Dog
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 95 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first previous 1-20 ... 61-8081-100101-120 ... 1,321-1,337 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794 is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson