Skip to comments.Boy finds rotten tooth in popcorn (Talk about a sweet tooth...)
Posted on 08/01/2003 7:17:34 PM PDT by Jay D. Dyson
A mother has described her anger at discovering her son had crunched into a rotten tooth while eating popcorn.
Kieran Adam, from Cove, near Aberdeen, was eating a mouthful when he bit down on something hard.
Kieran, 12, was horrified to find a decaying tooth with the remains of the roots attached.
Woolworths Big W, where the snack had been bought, said the incident was being investigated and environmental health officials are also to investigate the find.
Schoolboy Kieran was treated to the sweet popcorn from independent food franchise The Candy Bar in the city's beachfront Woolworths Big W store on Wednesday.
Kieran's mother Donna, 35, thought he was joking at first - but has now called in council environmental health officials.
The popcorn had been purchased by Donna's friend Kirstie Hulley, 25, for their children and taken home to eat.
It was poured into a bowl and Kieran, who starts his first year at secondary school after the summer, was the unlucky one to pick up the tooth.
Mother-of-three Donna, who works as a demonstrator for Asda, in Aberdeen, told BBC Scotland's Newsdrive: "I'm just still absolutely shocked that something like that could be in an item like popcorn that's designed for kids.
"We were in our house, my friend Kirstie had bought some popcorn and candy floss for after the children's supper.
"It was poured out and in the popcorn Kieran found the tooth.
"I think it's an adult's tooth, it was decayed, it was rotten and it had bits of blood on it."
Donna said her son came out into the garden and said "Mum, look what was in my mouth".
She said she was "absolutely livid" and took Kieran to wash his mouth out straight away.
Her friend Kirstie then rang both The Candy Bar and Big W to complain.
She then decided to take the matter further.
An Aberdeen City Council spokesman said: "The matter has been reported to our environmental health department and we will be following it up."
Woolworths Big W said the incident was being investigated.
A spokeswoman said: "Woolworths Big W is very concerned that one of its customers had a bad experience with a product purchased from The Candy Bar, a franchise that operates within the store.
"We are working very closely with the manager of The Candy Bar to find out exactly what happened."
If you want on the new list, FReepmail me. This IS a high-volume PING list...
Pssst: for those who don't get it, it's a movie about a killer tooth fairy. Seriously.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.