Skip to comments.Daddy, What Is a Right Winger?
Posted on 08/10/2003 6:38:44 PM PDT by doug from upland
Daddy, What Is a Right Winger?
When my daughter was growing up she asked me that same question that your children probably asked you. The answer was given during the Clinton times, but today the issues seem pretty much the same.
Those on the so-called political right hold some general beliefs in common. Not all of those on the right hold all of the same views.
I began the explanation with an exercise. We went into the middle of our street in front of the house. I had her take three steps to the left, and I took three steps to the right. She understood that, in political terms, I was positioning myself on the right. She was positioning herself on the left. Then, I had her take three more steps to the left. And three more steps to the left. And three more steps to the left.
She noticed that I was pretty far to the right of her. Her comment made me proud when she said, "Dad, yeah, you are way to the right, but you didn't move. You are where you were before. I have gone over the sidewalk and am on the front grass." Point made.
We did more, however, than merely play in the street. We had some real discussion during her growing years, and I gave a general idea of some of the beliefs held by those on the political right. Welcome to the dreaded right wing.
1. We believe that it is the right of all men to live free and determine their own destiny.
2. We believe that we are ultimately answerable to God for what we do on this earth.
3. We believe that the Constitution is the greatest secular document ever created and that, although it is secular, the influence of God in its creation cannot be denied.
4. We believe that men and women are different and that children have a much better chance in life if they are raised by a mom and a dad.
5. We believe that America is the greatest nation in the world and the greatest force for advancing freedom in the history of this planet.
6. We believe that it is first the job of the family, the extended family, friends, neighbors, and your community to help people. We should not look to the federal government first. That was never intended by the Founders and is an enormous waste of money and resources.
7. We believe that people who do bad things deserve to be punished. We may feel badly that someone had a rough childhood, but that gives him no right to harm another innocent person.
8. We believe that a murderer should pay with that which he has taken from someone else.
9. We believe that the most innocent of all -- the child developing in the womb -- needs to be protected.
10. We believe in the dignity and ability of individuals, not of groups. We will judge everyone on what they do, not on the color of their skin.
11. We believe that people should be rewarded by their sacrifice and hard work, not because they are part of a favored group.
12. We believe that slavery was horrible, but there are no living slaves and no living slave owners. A white person can feel badly that slavery was in our history, but we have no reason to feel guilty. We didn't do it.
13. We believe that the most important purpose of the federal government is the national defense of this country and maintaining a strong military.
14. We believe that if communists or Islamist terrorists want us dead, we need to take the strongest action possible to prevent it. We shouldn't leave our security to the United Nations.
15. We believe that you don't negotiate with evil. You destroy evil.
16. We believe that there are some bad policemen, but the overwhelming majority do a great job. We should be grateful that they are willing to put their lives on the line to protect us.
17. We believe in the right to own guns for our personal protection.
18. We believe that trial attorneys have run amok and are sucking the lifeblood out of business.
19. We believe that our schools have been taken over by leftists who care more about their agenda than teaching our children the skills they need to succeed -- reading, writing, math, and science.
20. We believe that homosexuals should be left alone, but that marriage needs to be between a man and a woman, and that children should be adopted by a mom and dad.
21. We believe that the word "American" has no place in the American Civil Liberties Union.
22. We believe that people should be able to smoke in a restaurant if that is the way the entrepreneur wants to run his business.
23. We believe that the excessive confiscation by the government of the money we earn is both immoral and hurts our economy.
24. We believe that an able-bodied person who receives money from the government (from us) should do something productive to get that money.
25. We believe that the free expression of faith does not violate any provision in our Constitution. In addition, we believe that the attack on religion and decency is doing great damage to our nation.
26. We believe that immigrants should obey our laws and wait their turn in line to come into this nation.
27. We believe that Ronald Wilson Reagan is the greatest president of the 20th century and that Bill Clinton is even worse than Jimmy Carter.
28. I believe that Islamist terrorists and Hillary Rodham Clinton pose the greatest dangers to this republic.
My daughter is seven and asks some tough questions. I may use this tactic.
Ill believe that after Hitlery runs for the office and fails. I'm scared to death that she wont because Americans are too stupid for their own good.
Super! Just super!
It was only last Thursday I was explaining to my son's girl friend that JFK, a liberal democratic president in his day, would be considered a part of the VAST RIGHT WING today as the democrats had moved so far to the left.
The cause of the conversation? She is reading BIAS and was/is simply amazed.
(Good list dfu)
Comps, and FReegards!