Skip to comments.Howard Dean And Old Glory: A Response
Posted on 10/11/2003 7:48:06 AM PDT by nwrep
In the Democratic Presidential debates recently, Howard Dean has, on more than one occasion, used the following words with small variations:
"We are going to take our flag back. This is our flag. This flag belongs to us, not to Rush Limbaugh and Jerry Falwell."
The depths of hypocrisy and logical inconsistency revealed by this statement are staggering. I would like to ask Mr. Dean the following questions:
1. If you claim to have as much ownership of old glory as Limbaugh (and by extension, Republicans), why don't you proudly wear it on your lapel?
2. Why did you appear at a rally at which absolutely no US flags were displayed, but which featured a plethora of Palestinian flags?
3. Why do your supporters not proudly fly and display the flag?
4. Why did the anti-war movement (of which you are a part and one of the chief representatives in the Democratic debates), repeatedbly burn and otherwise desecrate the flag during their rallies and protests?
5. Why did the anti-war movement display versions of Old Glory with the stars replaced by the swastika and other hateful symbols?
6. Many liberals, particularly African-American liberals, have gone on record stating that the US flag is a symbol of slavery and oppression. What do you have to say about that?
Ownership of Old Glory is not limited to a group or a party, but you and your kind, by your dishonorable conduct, have proven unworthy custodians of this great symbol of freedom and liberty.
God Bless Those
who Protect our Liberty
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.