Skip to comments.Know Your Heresies
Posted on 03/04/2007 2:15:29 PM PST by TradicalRC
Christian Heresies Through History
Who is a Heretic?
The greatest "shame" and "glory" of Christianity...Two Kinds of Christianity
The Greatest Love in the Bible
General Outlook of Christian Heresies, Century by Century
- Heresies of the First Century: Simonians of Acts 8, Cerintheians. Judaizers, Circumcisers of Acts 15:1, Nicolaitans of Rev.2:6, The "Synagogue of Satan" of Rev.2:9, The "Throne of Satan" of Rev. 2:13, The "doctrine of Balaam" of Rev.2:14, Nazareans or "Jewish-Christians", Docetism, Gnosticism, Neo-Gnosticism, Agnosticism
- Heresies of the Second Century: Marcionites, Ebionites, Montanism, Monarchians, Tritheism, Modalism, Basidilians, Carpocratians
- Third Century: Tertullianists, Origenists, Manicheans, Millenarians, Novatians
- Fourth Century: Donatists, Arians, Macedonians, Appollinarists, Jovinians, Vigilantians
- Fifth Century: Pelagians, Semipelagians, Nestorians, Predestinarians, Monophysites
- Seventh Century: Paulicians, Monothelites (like Monophysites of the Fifth Century)
- Eighth Century: Iconoclasts, Adoptionists
- Ninth Century: Greek Schism
- Eleven Century: The Great Schism: Orthodox-Roman Catholic.
- Twelfth Century: Petrobrosians, Henricians, Waldenses
- Thirteenth Century: Albiguenses, Fraticelli, Flagellants
- Fourteenth Century: Lollards of John Wycliffe
- Fifteenth Century: Hussites, Moravians, "Church of the Brotherhood", United Brethren
- Sixteenth Century: Protestant Reformation, Lutherans, Zwinglians, Church of England, Calvinism, Anabaptists, Episcopalians, Mennonites, Presbyterians, Puritans, Congregationalism, Huguenots, Reformed Dutch, Unitarians, Socinians
- Seventeenth Century: Baptists, Rosicrucians, Episcopalians, Quakers or Society of Friends, Universalists, Jansenists
- Eighteenth Century: Freemasonry, Shakers-Union Society, Methodists-"Holy Club", Moravians-Church of the Brotherhood-United Brethren, Unitarians, Universalism, Unitarian-Universalist Association
- Nineteenth Century: Mormons, Adventists, Jehovah's Witnesses, Spiritualistic Churches, Salvation Army, Ku-Klux-Klan, Christian Science Church, Old Catholics, Modernists, Reformed Churches, Holiness Churches, Church of God, Church of Christ, Church of God in Christ
- Twentieth Century: Pentecostal Movement, Charismatic Renewal, Snake Handlers, Worldwide Church of God, United Christian Evangelistic Association, Moonies-the Holy Spirit Association for the Unification of World Christianity, National Association of Evangelicals, Wicca, Church of Satan, Church of Scientology, Way International, Church universal and Triumphal, United Unitarian Universalist Association, Fraternity of St. Pius X, Palmar de Troya, Churches for Homosexuals, Children of God, New Age, Peoples Temple of Jim Jones, Branch Davidians WACO
- Philosophies and Religion, the Pillars of Unbelief: Machiavelli, French Revolution, Kant, Marx, Nietzsche, Freud, Sartre
Ecumenical Councils, Dogmatic Condemnation of Heresies
Please ping the relevant lists, thanks.
I guess "heresy" is in the eye of the beholder.
Some of these are schisms, rather than heresies. Should I pop some popcorn? ;-)
No matter who you are, you're a heretic to somebody.
Heresy support group, anyone? "My name is Larry, and I'm a heretic." "Hi, Larry!!!"
Freep-mail me to get on or off my pro-life and Catholic Ping List:
Please ping me to all note-worthy Pro-Life or Catholic threads, or other threads of interest.
Christianity is a heresy of Judaism.
Judism is a heresy of the Earth Mother-Sky Father religion.
Or, if you prefer, there were no heresies until the council of Nicea defined Orthodoxy, and Christianity became the state religion of the Roman Empire.
Or, if you prefer, there were no heresies until the council of Nicea defined Orthodoxy, and Christianity became the state religion of the Roman Empire.Actually, one of the reasons for the Council was the Arian heresy.
(Let's ping some more people too just to get things going)
"...Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor! Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!"
The three greatest heretics are Arius, Muhammad and Luther! Kind of like the three heads of Ceberus!
"I guess "heresy" is in the eye of the beholder."
Notice how he left out the "filioque" heresy, the Roman Schism of 1054 when Rome left The Church, the earlier Roman Schism, tied to the Frankish innovation of the filioque of the 9th century, the heresies of the Council of Lyons in the 12th century, those of the Council of Trent in the 16th and of course the 19th century heresies promulgated by Vatican I (which trace their heritage back to the Dictatus Papae of the 11th century). We'll leave Vatican II aside for now.
"Please ping the relevant lists, thanks."
You really don't want me to ping the Orthodox list with this. :(
Well, maybe we can take your input up to say the ninth century. :)