So, you make the hypothesis that the attitude of the heart is to WORSHIP these images as they were gods? How are you so sure? Isn’t that arrogance?
NO arrogance at all.
1. I don't think I'd put it quite that way.
2. I assert that a very significant percentage of RC folk worship Mary in the sense that they put her in a place reserved for Christ alone; They spend time in worship sorts of attitudes and activities toward Mary. They do similarly with symbols, statues, icons of Mary.
3. ACTING OUT SPECIFIC DEEDS AND ACTS OF WORSHIP IS . . . DRUM ROLL, . . . WORSHIP!
4. I doubt that many thinking, sane RC's would admit consciously to construing icons etc. AS GODS. They do have SOME awareness of the 10 Commandments after all. BUT THEIR BEHAVIORS BELIE THEIR CONSCIOUS ASSERTIONS. They treat Mary and such icons as A GODDES AND AS GOD FIGURES. Just as much as Buddhists treat golden statues of the Buddha as an idol. Some Buddhists would assert such is merely a prayer aid, too. Bukt their worship behavior belies the point as much as the Mary worshippers behaviors belie their assertions.
5. It would be arrogance for me to walk on by the other side of the street and pretend that the folks caught up in Marion idolatry were beneath my bother.