Skip to comments.Former pastor faces hearing on sex charges
Posted on 07/12/2008 8:53:29 PM PDT by Coleus
A former Seminole minister accused of sexually assaulting a teenage boy more than 20 years ago in Wisconsin is scheduled to have a plea hearing in that state Tuesday. The Rev. Angel Toro, 57, former pastor of Chapel on the Hill United Church of Christ, faces four third-degree sexual assault charges and one charge of enticing a child for immoral purposes, according to court records.
In 1987, while pastor at First United Methodist Church in Rice Lake, Wis., Toro assaulted the teenager twice at the church, authorities say. Douglas Guillen, 38, says he was the teenager Toro assaulted. Now a construction superintendent living in Broward County, Guillen said he met Toro when the minister hired him to do odd jobs. He was 17.
Toro has denied the allegation. Guillen's wife, Tricia, said the Wisconsin prosecutor's office notified the couple Thursday of a possible plea. "My husband all this time had been preparing to face him in the trial," Tricia Guillen said. "It is bringing closure to him. I think he's pleased with the outcome, and he'll also get to address the judge."
Friday the prosecutor's office declined to comment, except to confirm Tuesday's plea hearing. Investigations into the allegations began in late 2005. Toro resigned as pastor of the Seminole congregation and the United Church of Christ denomination last year. Under his leadership, Chapel on the Hill grew from a congregation of 30 to more than 400. Some members of the congregation believe he is innocent and continue to support him.
A pedophile gay priest? That’s a first (sarc)..
no no no. Coleus only posts Protestant stories
Another perv behind the collar. Ministers, priests, and teachers seem to be prone to this. Yet they always claim that the lawyers are the source of all decay...
The unofficial poster boy for priest pedophilia was a Boston priest named Father John Geoghan. He became a symbol for everything the church had done wrong in handling this problem when, on Jan. 6, 2002, The Boston Globe broke the story about how Boston's archbishop, Cardinal Bernard Law, had moved the abusive Geoghan from parish to parish over the years. The article also discussed the $10 million dollar settlement the church had already made with families of his victims. After the article ran, an embarrassed Law apologized and turned over to law enforcement the names of dozens of Boston priests who had been similarly accused.
Evidentially it's part of a 37 million dollar settlement.
Let's see; 162 kids molested by 24 priests and the average guy in the pulpit is going to contribute to the $37,000,000 settlement.
Did you guys have time to pray to Christ today since it was the sabbath or did the mud slinging at the other Christians interfere with your devotional?
Excellent question. There seems to be a competition of mud slinging.
Guilt or innocence aside, is there no Statute of Limitations on these cases?? 20 yrs??
That percentage seems accurate -- 24 priests to one pastor.
as usual, you are dwelling in the past going back into the 1950’s, there is a scandal in the not-catholic churches that’s here in the present, today, that isn’t making front-page news. Seems the only target is the RCC because that’s where the money is. the ye old babtist churches around the county can’t even afford air conditioning and nobody seems to care who their “reverends” are abusing.