Free Republic
Browse · Search
Religion
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Is it possible to know the *Year* of Jesus Christ return to earth?
Vanity | Jan 21st, 2009 | TARA

Posted on 01/21/2009 11:41:00 AM PST by TaraP

click here to read article


Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first previous 1-5051-98 last
To: TaraP

The media told us he took office yesterday at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.


51 posted on 01/21/2009 12:39:51 PM PST by datakcy (Declaring our love for God, country, and family ISN'T hate speech - it's common sense!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: TaraP

I tell you, now is the time of God’s favor, now is the day of salvation. 2 Corinthians 6:2b

Enough said?


52 posted on 01/21/2009 12:48:52 PM PST by wolfcreek (There is no 2 party system only arrogant Pols and their handlers)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: TaraP

If knew He would return in (for example) 2387, then you would ... what? Not buy zero-coupon Babylon 5 bonds when they go on sale? Short the Euro against the Ruble? Get a manicure?


53 posted on 01/21/2009 12:49:10 PM PST by Tax-chick (To oppose the god of this world by lifting up Christ.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Graybeard58

Roger that ol’Timer


54 posted on 01/21/2009 12:50:38 PM PST by STD (Time for Linebacker 3)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

To: TaraP

No


55 posted on 01/21/2009 12:52:13 PM PST by big'ol_freeper (He will never be my president)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Secret Agent Man

He’ll be right on time. I think it will be on Nisan 1, 2016


56 posted on 01/21/2009 12:52:38 PM PST by STD (Time for Linebacker 3)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 38 | View Replies]

To: TaraP

TIMELINE FROM THE BEGINNING OF THE TRIBULATION TO THE SECOND ADVENT

It looks like the 70th week of Daniel 9:27 began 10-21-2008, Tishri 22, 5769, the 8th Day of Tabernacles, Simchat Torah

FIRST HALF OF THE TRIBULATION - 1260 DAYS

I think the 2300-day Shortened Tribulation (Dan. 8:13,14) will begin next Pentecost, Sivan 6, 5769 (5-29-2009).

Moses and Elijah prophesy 1260 days.

Sacrificing should begin on Pentecost at the Temple mount and last till the 1260th day, Nov. 9, 2012, when the False Prophet will sit in the Temple “shewing himself that he is God” (2 Thess. 2:4)

LAST HALF OF THE TRIBULATION, 1040 DAYS

The 1040 days end 9-14-2015, Tishri 1, 5776, Feast of Trumpets

On Earth:

The PRE-WRATH RAPTURE, the Day of God’s Wrath

In Heaven:

Coronation Day, Marriage of the Lamb, Judgment Seat of Christ

THE FUTURE JUBILEE YEAR

Announced Yom Kippur, Tishri 10, 5776, 9-23-2015

Begins Nisan 1, 5776, April 9, 2016

SECOND ADVENT

April 9, 2016, Nisan 1, 5776
First day of Jewish Regnal Year, Sacred Year and Jubilee Year


57 posted on 01/21/2009 12:57:00 PM PST by STD (Time for Linebacker 3)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: TaraP
Is it possible to know the *Year* of Jesus Christ return to earth?

Of course. Just depends on who you ask:

1843, I mean, 1844, perhaps?

Or maybe it was 1878, or 1914, wait, 1925, er, 1975. (Guess they finally learned better.)

Even Chris Carter couldn't decide if it was May 5, 2000 or December 22, 2012.

(See here for more on the "prophets" who have attempted to predict the second coming of Christ.)
58 posted on 01/21/2009 12:58:53 PM PST by UncleDick (Sola fide)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: TaraP

Eastern, Central, Mountain, or Pacific time?


59 posted on 01/21/2009 1:05:44 PM PST by Some hope remaining.
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

To: TaraP

May 23, 1844


60 posted on 01/21/2009 1:09:21 PM PST by JPG
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: STD

Thank you for your well re-searched and thought out answer!


61 posted on 01/21/2009 1:15:29 PM PST by TaraP (The RAPTURE: Separation of Church and State)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 57 | View Replies]

To: STD

Are you sure you don’t mean Enoch?

Only two ‘walk with God’: Enoch and Elijah. All men must die, so that leaves Enoch and Elijah in the tribulation prophecy period.

No?


62 posted on 01/21/2009 1:22:51 PM PST by RinaseaofDs
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 57 | View Replies]

To: TaraP

No and Yes!

http://www.theignorantfishermen.com/2008/09/seven-years-to-day-part-1.html

http://www.theignorantfishermen.com/2008/09/seven-years-to-day-part-2_23.html

http://www.theignorantfishermen.com/2008/10/seven-years-to-day-part-3.html


63 posted on 01/21/2009 1:23:55 PM PST by The Ignorant Fisherman (Dave)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

To: TaraP
Is it possible to know the *Year* of Jesus Christ return to earth?

In retrospect.

The statement is clear and precise. It says, “No one knows about that day or hour.”

Jesus wouldn't have been speaking like a 19th century engineer.

Let it go.

64 posted on 01/21/2009 1:37:50 PM PST by Lee N. Field (http://obamaclock.org/ -- "A time, times and half a time")
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: TaraP

That’s a question I’ve wondered my self many times over many years. I’ve read/studied numerous cases made for His return to happen within the next few years, but whether any of these predictions are right or wrong, only time will tell. I do know one thing, Christians are suppose to be able to look at the “seasons” and know that His return draws close. From what I observe happening today, I’d say we’re very close to His return. Many things are lining up to fit end time prophecies. It blows me away to think that I might be living in the very generation that see’s his return. How historic is that!


65 posted on 01/21/2009 1:47:58 PM PST by OB1kNOb (I for one do not welcome our new Atlas Shrugged Overlord Administration.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: NavyCanDo
Church membership is at one of the lowest since who knows when.

Church membership was lower after the American revolution.

Church leaders are mocked, and the church itself (all denominations) are subject to jokes and ridicule.

A lot of them deserve it.

66 posted on 01/21/2009 1:51:47 PM PST by Lee N. Field (http://obamaclock.org/ -- "A time, times and half a time")
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 30 | View Replies]

To: HighlyOpinionated
Hebrew Custom is that the Earth will last 6000 years.

And we pay heed to Hebrew custom (as distinct from Hebrew scriptures), exactly why???

67 posted on 01/21/2009 1:52:41 PM PST by Lee N. Field (http://obamaclock.org/ -- "A time, times and half a time")
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 32 | View Replies]

To: TaraP

Some church of god loons came by my house a few days ago and told me that the second coming was born in 1948 and said it was in the scriptures! So get ready! LOL


68 posted on 01/21/2009 1:55:45 PM PST by US_MilitaryRules (In Loving Memorey of the USA 1776 to 1/20/2009.. May she rest in peace.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Lee N. Field

So you say just *Let it go*

That is like saying:
Let the world fall deeper into Apostasy.

Let the growth of Lukewarm Christians continue.

Let the majority of people continue to de deceived and have thier ears tickled..

Are you defeated?


69 posted on 01/21/2009 1:58:55 PM PST by TaraP (The RAPTURE: Separation of Church and State)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 66 | View Replies]

To: NavyCanDo

A good sign for me are the churches who support abortion and homosexuality,they have embraced sin and called it good. For them there is no sin! But the fact that millions of babies killed in the womb here and all over the world is shocking. If we cannot show mercy to the most innocent,our judment will be the same. The continuation of the murdered millions of God’s children may very well bring on the second coming. If Obama makes the freedom of choice act law,then maybe there is something about the year 2010. I am so disgusted with the Christians that supported Obama knowing how liberal he was on abortion and how he supported the homosexuality groups. Too many Christians have lost their grace because they believe as Adam and Eve did,they know what is good and what is evil. There is no need of God to worship God but it is themselves they worship.


70 posted on 01/21/2009 1:59:38 PM PST by red irish (Gods Children in the womb are to be loved too!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 30 | View Replies]

To: TaraP
So you say just *Let it go*

Ill phrased on my part. I do not at all mean letting go of the hope of Christ's return. I do mean letting go of trying to weasel around scripture's prohibition of date "suggesting".

He'll come in his own good time.

71 posted on 01/21/2009 2:26:47 PM PST by Lee N. Field (http://obamaclock.org/ -- "A time, times and half a time")
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 69 | View Replies]

To: TaraP

Sorry, but the purpose of “know not the day nor the hour” was to tell everyone to be alert at all times; that makes no sense if, in fact, you could know the year.


72 posted on 01/21/2009 2:59:09 PM PST by dangus
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: dangus

He said...We should know the *Season* and if we did know they year how would that change the heart of a believer? if you have been alert and watching anyways?


73 posted on 01/21/2009 3:21:02 PM PST by TaraP (The RAPTURE: Separation of Church and State)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 72 | View Replies]

To: Lee N. Field

He’ll come in his own good time.

I think that is what has caused the church to fail and why we see the increase in Lukewarm Christians...

Should we not be on fire for Christ?


74 posted on 01/21/2009 3:23:41 PM PST by TaraP (The RAPTURE: Separation of Church and State)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 71 | View Replies]

To: TaraP

Your whole premise is wrong.

This passage does not mean that people know when the day will arrive: “Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.”

The day is always approaching, and we all see that. That doesn’t mean the day has arrived.

In 1 Th 5:4, Paul doesn’t say that believers will know when the day is arriving. He only means they won’t be surprised because they will be ready for the day whenever it comes.

>> if we did know they year how would that change the heart of a believer? if you have been alert and watching anyways? <<

Well, that’s the whole point, isn’t it? To be alert and watchful? We’re not used to having an attitude of “Oh, well, I can wait to straighten my life out, because He’s not returning any time soon.” But that’s for 2000 years, Christianity has followed the command to be vigilant. Sure, there’s other ways we could know not to put obeying his will, but that doesn’t mean he can’t explicitly tell us that.


75 posted on 01/21/2009 3:54:00 PM PST by dangus
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 73 | View Replies]

To: TaraP
I think that is what has caused the church to fail and why we see the increase in Lukewarm Christians...

Should we not be on fire for Christ?

So, it takes thinking Jesus is coming Real Soon Now, to be on fire? Even when, for most over the church's history, that would have been a false belief?

It seems to me that, following a certain biblical precedent, the assertion that "we can know the season, just not the day or hour" avoids the evident spirit of Jesus' admonition while following it's strict letter.

It is sufficient for us to know that God has appointed a latter day for the restoring of all things; but when it will be is hidden from us all for our sake, so that we may be all the more watchful, so that we are not taken as those were taken in the flood years ago.

76 posted on 01/21/2009 4:03:01 PM PST by Lee N. Field ("I've studied bible prophecy 30 years." usually means "I've never hear of Geerhardus Vos.")
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 74 | View Replies]

To: RinaseaofDs

It took me years to arrive at this conclusion because when people (the Jews) talk about their patriarchs always include Moses. That’s not a good enough argument, but I have more information.

The transfiguration of Jesus included Moses and Elijah, so I think he’ll be included in the role of the 2 witnesses. It’s a trivial matter anyway!


77 posted on 01/21/2009 5:18:20 PM PST by STD (Time for Linebacker 3)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 62 | View Replies]

To: red irish
Good points. You know, I'm not sure if Obama could be the Antichrist or not, I really don't want to go there. But from what I have seen so far, how this little nobody can in a few months achieve such World popularity for doing NOTHING, it does show you how easy the real Antichrist can enter the World Stage and be accepted by nearly the entire World.
78 posted on 01/21/2009 5:42:03 PM PST by NavyCanDo
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 70 | View Replies]

To: HighlyOpinionated; TaraP
Surely. Hebrew Custom is that the Earth will last 6000 years. So you just google Jewish Calendar and subtract the current Jewish year from 6000 and you’ll get approximately the answer you’re looking for. Since neither you nor I will be around by then, our “end of the world” will have already occurred and it won’t matter. (6000-5768=232 more years) (give or take)

There seems to be 240 years missing from the Jewish Calendar.

The Jewish Calendar's missing 240 years

5769 + 240 = 6009 CE

shalom b'SHEM Yah'shua HaMashiach Adonai
79 posted on 01/21/2009 8:02:48 PM PST by Uri’el-2012 (Psalm 78:35 And they remembered that God was their ROCK, And the Most High God their Redeemer.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 32 | View Replies]

To: Lee N. Field
A lot of them deserve it.

Hahahahahaha! Perfectly stated.
80 posted on 01/21/2009 8:03:28 PM PST by raynearhood ("I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels" -John Calvin)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 66 | View Replies]

To: TaraP

No


81 posted on 01/21/2009 9:23:06 PM PST by DarthVader (Liberal Democrats are the party of EVIL whose time of judgment has come.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: STD

I hope I’m not around to see it. Point taken.


82 posted on 01/22/2009 4:18:59 AM PST by RinaseaofDs
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 77 | View Replies]

To: NavyCanDo

I think it shows more the power of mass communication and good PR, plus having people really sick of the way things have been going.


83 posted on 01/22/2009 9:53:28 AM PST by stuartcr (If the end doesn't justify the means...why have different means?)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 78 | View Replies]

To: Lee N. Field

Of course.
We should always be on fire for Christ, HOWEVER we have way to many Lukewarm Christians, because they lack that fire, they do not believe Jesus is coming soon which makes them complacent. Jesus warned us of this as well...


84 posted on 01/22/2009 9:59:30 AM PST by TaraP (The RAPTURE: Separation of Church and State)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 76 | View Replies]

To: Lee N. Field

Of course.
We should always be on fire for Christ, HOWEVER we have way to many Lukewarm Christians, because they lack that fire, they do not believe Jesus is coming soon which makes them complacent. Jesus warned us of this as well...


85 posted on 01/22/2009 9:59:39 AM PST by TaraP (The RAPTURE: Separation of Church and State)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 76 | View Replies]

To: dangus

Then why did Jesus speak of so many Lukewarm Christians in the End Times?

The Church of Ladociea.

Complacency...Not wanting to see the SIGNS that Jesus is returning soon.


86 posted on 01/22/2009 10:01:41 AM PST by TaraP (The RAPTURE: Separation of Church and State)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 75 | View Replies]

To: TaraP

The only return of Christ we need to worry about is at our death. To paraphrase the angel speaking to the Apostles at the Ascension: Stop looking to the sky and get to work.


87 posted on 01/22/2009 12:13:14 PM PST by Rutles4Ever (Ubi Petrus, ibi ecclesia, et ubi ecclesia vita eterna!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 86 | View Replies]

To: TaraP
Then why did Jesus speak of so many Lukewarm Christians in the End Times?

The Church of Ladociea.

Ummmm....the church at Laodicea was a real congregation in Asia that Jesus addressed a word to via John. The interpretation of the churches in Revelation as representing successive eras of the historic church leading down to us==Loadicea, is a stretch, and one reason for my tagline.

88 posted on 01/22/2009 12:14:05 PM PST by Lee N. Field (Dispensational exegesis not supported by an a-, post- or historic pre-mil scholar will be ignored.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 86 | View Replies]

To: TaraP

>> Then why did Jesus speak of so many Lukewarm Christians in the End Times? <<

Failure to evangelize, failure to repent, being distracted from their true calling, neglecting prayer, succumbing to social pressures to bow to false idols, taking the mark of the beast, neglecting the care of the poor...

>> Not wanting to see the SIGNS that Jesus is returning soon. <<

Yeah, that’s your burning issue, isn’t it? Mmmmmm... not really seeing it.


89 posted on 01/22/2009 7:04:46 PM PST by dangus
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 86 | View Replies]

To: TaraP

>> Then why did Jesus speak of so many Lukewarm Christians in the End Times? <<

Failure to evangelize, failure to repent, being distracted from their true calling, neglecting prayer, succumbing to social pressures to bow to false idols, taking the mark of the beast, neglecting the care of the poor...

>> Not wanting to see the SIGNS that Jesus is returning soon. <<

Yeah, that’s your burning issue, isn’t it? Mmmmmm... not really seeing it.

>> The Church of Ladociea. <<

See, the funny thing is the church of Ladociea was one of the seven sister churchs of Asia minor in the first century, to whom the Apocalypse of John was addressed. It’s not got anything to do with end times at all. In fact, Ladociea no longer exists.


90 posted on 01/22/2009 7:09:21 PM PST by dangus
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 86 | View Replies]

To: TaraP
Is it possible to know the *Year* of Jesus Christ return to earth?

No.

91 posted on 01/22/2009 8:11:25 PM PST by topcat54 ("Friends don't let friends become dispensationalists.")
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Lee N. Field; dangus; topcat54

Then what is Jesus speaking of here?

Jesus said, “You can read the signs of the weather in the sky, but because of spiritual blindness you cannot read the signs of the times. ...


92 posted on 01/23/2009 9:05:28 AM PST by TaraP (The RAPTURE: Separation of Church and State)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 88 | View Replies]

To: TaraP

>> Jesus said, “You can read the signs of the weather in the sky, but because of spiritual blindness you cannot read the signs of the times. <<

He was talking to the Jews of his day who failed to recognize that He, the Messiah, was already in their midst. How could this passage POSSIBLY refer to recognizing the portents of the second coming??? He’s criticizing people for having missed them, not for not seeing them coming!


93 posted on 01/23/2009 10:09:07 AM PST by dangus
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 92 | View Replies]

To: TaraP

>> Jesus said, “You can read the signs of the weather in the sky, but because of spiritual blindness you cannot read the signs of the times. <<

He was talking to the Jews of his day who failed to recognize that He, the Messiah, was already in their midst. How could this passage POSSIBLY refer to recognizing the portents of the second coming??? He’s criticizing people for having missed them, not for not seeing them coming!


94 posted on 01/23/2009 10:14:20 AM PST by dangus
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 92 | View Replies]

To: TaraP

What is the event that tells us when the return is nigh.... What causes His return to be described as a ‘thief in the night’?

At this point these specific events have not yet happened but things sure are building... and Christ said that ‘time’ had been shortened...


95 posted on 01/23/2009 10:19:59 AM PST by Just mythoughts
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: dangus

Mat 24:1-25:46....Are you saying Jesus words were only for the Jews to understand on when he was to return to earth?

It seems to me that all generations could understand that there were signs that they could look for as Jesus returning, however if Israel was not Israel until 1948 doesn’t that tell us one more generation would be the generation to understand that the return of Jesus is imminent?
The Jews even believe that a Messiah has to return before the 6000 yr of Adam, and that he can come much sooner.


96 posted on 01/23/2009 11:34:35 AM PST by TaraP (The RAPTURE: Separation of Church and State)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 94 | View Replies]

To: TaraP

>> Are you saying Jesus words were only for the Jews to understand on when he was to return to earth? <<

No on several points:

1) I was only referring to one passage, not two whole chapters.

2) It was included in the bible because the general principle applies as a warning to all believers. So, no, it’s not only relevant to them. But he was addressing them, so whatever meaning you want to give it, that meaning must make sense in that context.

3) It has nothing to do with his second coming. He’s talking to those who aren’t recognizing his first coming.

>> however if Israel was not Israel until 1948 doesn’t that tell us one more generation would be the generation to understand that the return of Jesus is imminent? <<

Bad news: Go get a map of the core kingdom of Israel and Judah. Not the whole Solomonic empire, just the core kingdom. Notice the way that the core doesn’t include the coastline (Phillistia), the regions south of the Dead Sea and north of the Sea of Galilee? Now go get a map of Israel today. Notice how it includes ONLY the coastline, the region south of the Dead Sea, and a region north of the Sea of Galilee and South of Lebanon. The only overlap is a small strip of land west of Jerusalem. Even the ancient city of Jerusalem is entirely in “East Jerusalem,” the Muslim hands.

Sorry, but the ancient kingdom of Israel is still mostly in Muslim hands.

But then again, that has nothing to do with what we’re talking about, since the bible never says that the Jews repopulating Zion will announce the return of Christ.

>> The Jews even believe that a Messiah has to return before the 6000 yr of Adam, and that he can come much sooner. <<

Some Jews do. But why do you consider them expert on such matters? You yourself acknowledge that their counting is off 240 years. And as such, he should have come in 2005.


97 posted on 01/23/2009 2:25:59 PM PST by dangus
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 96 | View Replies]

To: TaraP
Then what is Jesus speaking of here?

Jesus said, “You can read the signs of the weather in the sky, but because of spiritual blindness you cannot read the signs of the times. ...

What dangus said. Read it in context:

1 And the Pharisees and Sadducees came, and to test him they asked him to show them a sign from heaven.
2 He answered them, “When it is evening, you say, ‘It will be fair weather, for the sky is red.’
3 And in the morning, ‘It will be stormy today, for the sky is red and threatening.’ You know how to interpret the appearance of the sky, but you cannot interpret the signs of the times.
4 An evil and adulterous generation seeks for a sign, but no sign will be given to it except the sign of Jonah.” So he left them and departed.

98 posted on 01/23/2009 6:29:42 PM PST by Lee N. Field (Dispensational exegesis not supported by an a-, post- or historic pre-mil scholar will be ignored.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 92 | View Replies]


Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first previous 1-5051-98 last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
Religion
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson