Skip to comments.Humble Praise and Joyful Anticipation: Fourth Sunday of Advent
Posted on 12/20/2009 2:36:47 PM PST by NYer
This lineage, tedious as it is read it out loud for the deacon or priest, is an important reminder of the events of salvation and our own families. Just as the Evangelist notes the lineage of Jesus, we find our own lineage and roots to be of equal importance. We define our lineage as the country and village we were born in, the particular region and the family or tribe from whence we come. If any of our families came over on the Mayflower, we would all know about it several times! We are rightfully proud of who we are and where we came from. This particular Gospel passage helps us to realize that Jesus in the fulfillment of all that has been predicted in the Scriptures. The House of David should shine with pride that the Long Awaited Savior has come from their family line.
- 1 2 The book of the genealogy of Jesus Christ, the son of David, the son of Abraham.
- Abraham became the father of Isaac, Isaac the father of Jacob, Jacob the father of Judah and his brothers.
- Judah became the father of Perez and Zerah, whose mother was Tamar. Perez became the father of Hezron, Hezron the father of Ram,
- Ram the father of Amminadab. Amminadab became the father of Nahshon, Nahshon the father of Salmon,
- Salmon the father of Boaz, whose mother was Rahab. Boaz became the father of Obed, whose mother was Ruth. Obed became the father of Jesse,
- Jesse the father of David the king. David became the father of Solomon, whose mother had been the wife of Uriah.
- 3 Solomon became the father of Rehoboam, Rehoboam the father of Abijah, Abijah the father of Asaph.
- Asaph became the father of Jehoshaphat, Jehoshaphat the father of Joram, Joram the father of Uzziah.
- Uzziah became the father of Jotham, Jotham the father of Ahaz, Ahaz the father of Hezekiah.
- Hezekiah became the father of Manasseh, Manasseh the father of Amos, 4 Amos the father of Josiah.
- Josiah became the father of Jechoniah and his brothers at the time of the Babylonian exile.
- After the Babylonian exile, Jechoniah became the father of Shealtiel, Shealtiel the father of Zerubbabel,
- Zerubbabel the father of Abiud. Abiud became the father of Eliakim, Eliakim the father of Azor,
- Azor the father of Zadok. Zadok became the father of Achim, Achim the father of Eliud,
- Eliud the father of Eleazar. Eleazar became the father of Matthan, Matthan the father of Jacob,
- Jacob the father of Joseph, the husband of Mary. Of her was born Jesus who is called the Messiah.
- Thus the total number of generations from Abraham to David is fourteen generations; from David to the Babylonian exile, fourteen generations; from the Babylonian exile to the Messiah, fourteen generations. 5
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.