Skip to comments.Is the Antichrist a major religious figure?
Posted on 10/06/2010 10:34:54 AM PDT by Ancient Drive
I ask because we look so much into politcal figures for this. Maybe the antichrist could be a major religious figure for all we know.
What I read usually assigns mostly political significance to the Antichrist and mostly religious significance to the False Prophet. They are two distinct figures.
I’m not convinced antichrist as described in first and second John (the only books of the Bible where term antichrist appears) is the same as the beast of revelation.
The answer is in your Bible. Read, don’t ask. The Anti Christ is a political leader, the False Prophet is the religious leader.
People are so self centered. The anti-Christ was a roman ruler. Any thought otherwise is absurd.
IMHO, the Antichrist is Islam.
that’s what I was thinking. ithas misled billions.
The Antichrist, as an idea, presents a problem, when it is defined from a human, not heavenly perspective.
Practically speaking, the only way we can probably even suspect that someone might be the Antichrist is if they say so. Even then, a lot of people will not even know what that means; others won’t believe it on principle; some will demand proof; a few will likely try to capitalize on the idea.
We have as little of an Antichrist paradigm than we do a UFO alien paradigm.
“People are so self centered. The anti-Christ was a roman ruler. Any thought otherwise is absurd.”
And others are arrogant...
The Antichrist will be destroyed by Christ at his return.
(Hint: That didn’t happen during the Roman period.)
>> we look so much into politcal figures for this. Maybe the antichrist could be a major religious figure
Go with Kim Jong Il and you get a twofer, since he thinks he’s god.
Ahmanutjob may fill the bill too for the same reason.
(I’m being facetious; I know the Antichrist will come, but it’s not mine to know who it is or will be at this point.)
Don't know who THE antiChrist will be, but I'm sure I'll know him when he comes forth.
IA that Islam will probably be the genesis of the system through with the Antichrist will arise. Twenty years ago I troubled over the "beheading" of the saints aspect of the tribulation. I thought, wow, beheading is so strange a way to deal with those who won't play along. Now it's not so strange since that's their MO in dealing with "infidels." Perhaps the 12th Imam is the one?
Jesus Revealed the name of the Antichrist.
Baraq O Bamah
Here’s a facinating read on the topic: http://www.answering-islam.org/Authors/JR/Future/index.htm
The Anti Christ will be a political leader but will set up a Religion of his own. If you understand Revelations he will deny or leave the religion of his fathers. He will be the one to declare a peace treaty with Israel. After the first 3 ½ years of the Tribulation he will declare himself god and sit on the throne in Jerusalem. His ancestry has to come from the region of the Old Roman Empire.
Fooling all unbelievers, he will quickly crash and burn when the wheat is separated from the chaff.
Scripture doesn't say that. You're assuming that the "beast" of Revelation 19 is the same as the antichrist of 1 & 2 John.
Maybe he is, and maybe he isn't. 1 John 2:18 says that "many antichrists have already come, by which we know it is the last hour".
One thing is for sure: The “Catholics” in Massachusetts who are so spiritually blind that they could elect and elect and elect baby-murderers to both Senate seats, and to virtually every state office, are the kind of people who will be too spiritually blind to distinguish THE Anti-Christ from Christ.
When I finally figure it out, you'll be the first to know.
Yes Genoa, I agree..they are two different distinct figures, though they will both be instrumental in uniting the masses before them....politically for the most part, but with the reality that that cannot occur without the religious aspect...lots of money flow possibilties as well as shallow believers will be easily mis-led to follow the agenda. We see the beginnings of this in our day already.
1. Antichrist appears as an individual.
2. Sts. Irenaeus, Ambrose, Jerome, Augustine, Pope Gregory the Great, and Anselm (Antichrist’s capital will be in Jerusalem) - Tertulian-F, Lactantius -F, St. Cyril of Jerusalem - F &D and St. Jerome - F&D (the individual Antichrist comes with a final destruction of the Roman Empire.
3. St. Cyril of Jerusalem — This one shall sieze power of the Roman Empire, and shall falsely style himself Christ. By the name of Christ he shall deceive the Jews, who are expecting the Anointed; and he shall seduce the gentiles by his magical illusions.
4. St. Bridget of Sweden says — “Before Antichrist comes, the portals of the Faith will be opened to great numbers of pagans.” (Life and Revelations of St. Bridget p. 168.
5. St. Hildegard — “At that period when Antichrist shall be BORN, there will be many wars and right order shall be destroyed on the earth.
“Heresy will be rampant and the heretics will preach their errors openly without restraint. Even amond Christians doubt and skepticism will entertained concerning the beliefs of Catholicism.”
6. St. Hilary clearly states about the Antichrist,
“Antichrist WILL TEACH that Jesus Christ is not the Son of God, but is the wickedest of all criminals.”
7. Hyppolytus says that Antichrist will order anything reminding men of Jesus Christ to be destroyed. The shrine of the Holy Sepulchre on Mount Calvary and other holy sites in the Holy Land shall be destroyed. He even says that Antichrist shall reign as World Emperor, he will prohibit under the pain of death, the administering of the sacraments and the offering of the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass. Mass will celebrated mostly in the forests and in secret places, as was the case in the first days of Christianity.
8. He’ll be a child prodigy. Sister Nativitas —
“Even before he is ten years old he will be more powerful and learned than other men, and through his actions, it will be evident that he possesses greater genius, spirit and skill than other people. The fullness of his powers will first manifest themselves when he reaches the age of 30 years at which time his greatest heroic deeds will begin.” (from Hartman’s “Life and Revelations of Sister Nativitas”, 1865.
9. St. Ambrose says that Antichrist will attempt to prove from Holy Scripture that he is the Christ. (In Lucam,21).
10. St Anselm says that:
“Towards the end of the world Antichrist will draw the hearts of the Jews to him by his great generosity and sympathetic attitude so much so that they will praise him as a demi-god. The Jews will say to one another: “There is not a more virtuous, just and wise man than he to be found in our entire generation. Of all men, he certainly will be able to rescue us from all our miseries.” (From “Details Concerning the Antichrist” by Dr. Franz Spirago).
11. The Antichrist will not a Pope or the Papacy.
12. The Antichrist will be born of fornication and his mother will anounce the advent of a Messias who will restore great prosperity to mankind.
“During this time Enoch and Elias who have never died but have been maintained in “Paradise” return to presence of men and preach to the people against Antichrist. Elias preaches primarily to the Jews and Enoch primarily to the Gentiles. It is the arrival of these “Two Witnesses” which foreshadows the foretold conversion of the Jews to Christianity.” (p. 556 Trial, Tribulation and Triumph.).
I thought that barney was the antichrist. jk
“rather scripture does say he will rise out of Europe...”
The Roman Empire fell in the West around AD 476. But the Roman Empire continued to survive in the East for another thousand years, finally conquered by Islam in 1453. There is no necessity for the “Roman Empire” to mean Europe. It can also mean the middle eastern region of Byzantium where the Empire survived the longest.
He is...only in Massachusetts though. Bawney Fwank, ever the underachiever, LOL.
Nope. Look in Thessalonians.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.