Skip to comments.Go Figure: The Most and Least Christian City in America
Posted on 12/19/2010 4:18:29 PM PST by SeekAndFind
98% Residents of Shreveport, Louisiana, who describe themselves as Christian. According to Barna Research, it is the city whose residents are most likely to do so.
68% Residents of San Francisco who describe themselves as Christian, making them the least likely to do so. It is also the most unchurched city in America: 44 percent have not attended in the last six months.
19% Residents of Portland, Maine, who describe themselves as atheist or agnostic, making it the least religious city in America.
President Obama's job approval among Protestant pastors:
61% Disapprove (47% strongly)
30% Approve (14% strongly)
(Excerpt) Read more at christianitytoday.com ...
One would think Dearborn, the muslim capitol of the US, would be the most un-Christian city.
Wow, 68% for Sodom is higher than I expected. I realize many of that percentage would tell you their dog is Christian, but given their outright hostility to traditional values I find that number surprising.
Oh, please. The poll was intended to measure followers of Christ, not AntiChrist. No way is SF 68% Christian. As for Portland, Maine, that 19% atheist/agnostic figure is probably applicable to most areas in the US. Atheism is on the rise among young people.
Something must be missing. Don’t points 2 and 3 contradict each other?
Not all religions are Christian. That’s the difference.
There is a fairly large Roman Catholic population in San Francisco, and I am sure they are included in this figure.
Not being Roman Catholic myself I can’t define them too perfectly, however, those I know do tend to be the “cafeteria” type, or, alternatively, are people from the 3rd world who are real Catholics in their personal lives but don’t really feel a cultural mandate and don’t do much to influence the culture.
Nah, still a lot of Pollacks in west Dearborn...hopefully it stays that way.
Portland, ME does have an odd undercurrent to it. Kind of ‘empty’ in spots, frankly.
I’ve never stopped in Shreveport so I don’t know the answer, but here’s my question:
Are there any strip clubs in Shreveport? A city that’s 98% Christian shouldn’t have any strip clubs. Even if you want to say the strippers could be part of the other 2%, the clientele to make a business work certainly can’t be.
I’m guessing Shreveport does have strip clubs so I’m going to call BS on either the pollsters or the citizens. One of them is lying.
All the liberal types who live in the Old Port section no doubt.
Not all christians are christians..
There are a few strip clubs in the modern sense in Shreveport, but they have been a recent thing. How things were in the old “Bossier Strip” days I can’t say. Shreveport does not lack for the number of churches, though.
You assume that only residents of Shreveport would either work in a strip club or go there for “entertainment”. You’re wrong. Every weekend, thousands of people from Texas head across the state line into Louisiana to gamble, and lots of them land in and around Shreveport. It’s very likely that some of the Texas gamblers also patronize strip clubs. Such a place could stay in business just fine if no resident of Shreveport ever set foot in it.
Defrock 'em. Far too stupid and spiritually blind to dare teach the Gospel. They're right up there is "Revs." Wright and Sharpton.
Having a bit of familiarity with Portland and environs, I don’t see it as a center of “other” religions whatsoever.
Give them time.
They may raise families who live out the cultural mandate, while a not insubstantial, and nihilistic, portion of the 32% pursue pleasure as an end in itself.
Woe be the day when you cannot find ten righteous men in the city!
It's right next to Barksdale Air Force Base.
I’m not buying the San fagcisco Christianity numbers either..
“Personally, I don’t give Christianity Today an credence whatsoever; they are sellouts to the true Faith. But the numbers wouldn’t surprise me. ‘
Curious as to why you feel that way? I am not a defender of CT, just would like to know why they are sellouts.
Portland and San Fransicko - gay cities.
I am still surprised that San Francisco is that religious. 68% Christian is a pretty good number. This proves that America is a Christian Nation.
What’s a Pollack?
Well, I think he is referring to those Americans of Polish Ancestry, who are historically staunch Catholics.
CT has posted numerous articles taking a distinctively “liberal Christianity” viewpoint. Whatever they used to be, they are not a Bibilicly Christian publication anymore.