Skip to comments.Broadcast chief promotes positive media use [Real Mormonism]
Posted on 04/15/2011 4:05:44 PM PDT by Colofornian
Success in the fight against pervasive negative influences comes from three factors: assessing whether media preferences are leading toward or away from goals, assessing personal media consumption and actively using technology to serve Gods children, according to Tuesdays devotional speaker.
Derek Marquis, managing director of BYU Broadcasting, spoke on media and its impact on members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Marquis gave a brief history of media in the Church...
...Marquis encouraged those listening to use technology to further the gospel...
As an object lesson, he had students with electronic communication devices laptops, iPhones, iPads, and cellphones hold them up. He said when he was in college, no one would have raised their hand. Because of our ability to connect to those around the world, Marquis said BYU students should become actively involved in the online discourse.
There are conversations going on about the Church constantly, he said. Those conversations will continue whether or not we choose to participate in them. But we cannot stand on the sidelines while others, including our critics, attempt to define what the Church teaches....
(Excerpt) Read more at universe.byu.edu ...
(Oh, I don't know...I think FReeper Mormons have done a pretty good job as online sideline-sitters for the most part in 2011 & part of 2010!)
Inmans, what if this "crop" of BYU rookies comes up from the "farm" and tries to move on up to the Big League? Think they can handle Basic "Introduction to Conversations 101" 'round here?
(Note: Basic Convo 101 is simply demonstrating the ability to...
(a) Actually answer the Q...
(b) Attempt to answer it with intellectual honesty).
Or -- will we see the same high-yielding Mormon cricket crop we've seen in more recent months?
Inquiring minds wanna know.
Not sure they want to go down that road. . . .
I was originally going to try to list exactly how the Mormon church thinks its critics have "misdefined" it...especially in an Internet world where it's citing Lds general authorities left & right as the basis for defining what the Church teaches.
I think this is where the Flying Inmans need to weigh in...
Please provide some Church teaching definitions -- based upon what the Church teaches -- not only what some counter-cult ministry has opined about the Mormon church.
(And then we'll try to "nail down" those highly elusive phantom misinterpretations...which is rather tough to figure given all the quoting of Mormon figures that's done...of course, it's easier to label critiques as "mis-definitions" than to call what Mormon leaders have said in the past "false teachings"...which = false prophecies which = false "prophets")
But we cannot stand on the sidelines while others, including our critics, attempt to define what the Church teaches....
Well he wasnt talking about FR
here we just post the facts Ma’am
We just let the lurkers decide...
We report, you decide...
You know, that is quite the challenge. We’ve posted tons of materials over time here from lds sources. the lds reply? Opinions, out of context, not ‘doctrine’, etc. LOL, one even denied that King Follett was still being taught - until pointed to the passage in “Gospel Principles”.
The problem is - the definition of “what the church teaches” are in the forms of obfuscated Christian terms and phrases in which THEY have redefined the meaning - yet retained the ‘form’ as a vehicle to fool the unknowing.
The second part of the problem is that I think many mormons THEMSELVES cannot properly define or present what the church because of the gumby nature of them. Polygamy - no polygamy, no black priests - black priests, living prophet - dead prophet.
Third - because of the milk-before-meat principle, I think many mormons don’t understand the deeper ramifications of their doctrines because they have no systematic theology to study. OTOH, those who are better ‘educated’ may recognize the aberrant nature of those doctrines and how tasteless they are to the uninitiated, so they don’t want to get past the milk for the real ‘meat’ of the doctrines and ramifications.
Finally, as has been shown time and again here, when faced with the undefinable - they simply shut down and start the ‘testimony’ matra.
We do not have to define what lds teaches all we have to do is quote directly from official lds sources, quote from lds historical writings and wallah lds is exposed for the blasphemy it is.
Sounds like they're losing money, I mean members.....
My lds cousin has told me lds is all about image and money, that’s the bottom line.
I'd hate to live like that.
I am shocked. SHOCKED I tell you!
ATTITUDES OF SUPERIORITY
1. Im Superior; I have a special gift of the holy Ghost -- you dont!
2. Im Superior; I have Gods true priesthood power -- you dont!
3. Im Superior; I can go in Gods secret Temple -- you cant!
4. Im Superior; Ive been Endowed with special Gifts and Knowledge -- youre just normal!
5. Im Superior; Ill have my family with me in heaven -- youll be with strangers!
6. Im Superior; Im becoming a God -- you arent!
7. Im Superior; My women know their place as servants of man and yours dont.
8. Im Superior; YOUR creeds are wrong because they come from man - mine comes from God (you can find each one printed in our Scriptures).
9. Im Superior; I dont HAVE a creed - Ive got 13 Articles of Faith.
10. I'm Superior; I have 4 "Bibles"-- the standard works (5 if you count the JST) -- you've only got one: in as far as it is translated correctly.
11. Im Superior; I can lie with impunity about such things as church membership, church growth, church doctrine, church history, church influence, etc. -- You cant.
12. Im Superior; I am right (everybody knows) when I say 'evangelical' Christians are lunatics --
-- Youre a hideous narrow-minded bigot, who is persecuting me by practicing discrimination by saying I'm not a Christian.
13. I'm Superior; I have a testimony about a prophet -- you don't.
14. I'm Superior; I have a Scripture-producing Amos 3:7 prophet -- you don't
15. Im Superior; I have a Living Prophet who talks to god every day -- you have a dim-witted hireling of Satan who only talks to himself.
16. I'm Superior; I have my calling & election made sure -- you don't.
17. Im Superior; I have magic underwear to protect me from the bogey man -- you dont.
18. Im Superior; I have secret clasps and grips to give the angel so I get admitted to the celestial kingdom -- you dont ;so you cant.
19. I'm Superior; I know secret handshake codes for afterlife entrances-- you don't.
20. Im Superior; I will see Joseph Smith setting on the right hand of GOD, when I get to Mormon heaven, and he will recognize me and judge me favorably -- Youre on your own; when you get to wherever youre going!
21. Im Superior; Im going to hie to Kolob -- youre going to who knows where.
22. Im Superior; I get to have a harem and act like a celestial stud for time and all eternity -- you dont.
23. Im Superior; I have sun stones, moon stones, sky stones, cloud stones, Saturn stones, and the evil eye of Osirus guarding my temple
-- You have nothing but a stupid cross.
24. Im Superior; My church has billions in assets stashed away -- yours has taken a stupid vow of poverty.
25. I'm Superior; Last - we have the power to keep a whole race out of our priesthood if we wanted to reinsert our 148-year legacy (we ARE still keeping an entire GENDER at bay!)
26. I'm superior; I have the "higher law" -- everyone else "lives under the "lesser law' because I say so...(over and over).
Semi-Official creed of the EXclusive club of Freeper Flying Inmans.
All rights liable to be abused.