Skip to comments.Tis the season for Smithmas; Whom do you worship? [Mormon Merry Smithmas]
Posted on 12/06/2011 6:06:40 AM PST by Colofornian
TIS THE SEASON for Smithmas
(Originally posted in December 2008)
Here we are with another Thanksgiving and Christmas season upon us! I love this time of year for the changing colors of the trees, the air smells like the seasons cold is getting ready to lay itself down upon us, and of course for the food. Yum!
Alas, I would be remiss if I were to go about my day in this glorious time without giving my favorite reason Jesus!
While December 25th may not be the actual date of Jesus birth, it serves as a great reminder for us as to why we celebrate to begin with!
I was writing an article a few weeks ago when I noticed a pattern of sorts in my copy of the Gospelink Program I use for research on Mormonism. It has a section where you can store your favorite quotes and scriptures for easy access. Skimming through the file for a specific quote, I noticed how many entries I had placed in this folder for references in regards to Joseph Smith and the homage members pay to him.
I have written many times on the importance of Smiths claims and the impact they have upon the members of the Church. I could write a book on the many letters we receive and how many times Ive been told that they do not worship Joseph Smith, but as Ive said before and will say again you be the judge and read what they say! Below are a mere handful of examples of what they think of ol Joe.
|1. Choice seer||9. Voice crying/wilderness||17. People studied at feet of|
|2. Joseph and God partners||10. Has more to boast of||18. Smith's greatness|
|3. Brings purpose to life||11. Is meek and lowly||19. Gospel according to Joe|
|4. Did more than anyone||12. Is needed, foreordained||20. Superior intelligence|
|5. Is god to all||13. Not always a prophet||21. Praise to the man|
|6. Helped save world||14.Not armed||22. Knowledge of God from|
|7. Holds keys of authority||15. Related to Jesus||23. Greater than Isaiah|
|8. Was a Mason||16. Smith's consent needed||24. Is both Jew and Gentile|
For the sake of brevity, I will be posting only the vital parts of the actual document, but will include the exact location for the reader to do further investigation. If you cannot find the documentation in your own books or library you can read them at www.lds.org for verification. As always, I strongly encourage each member of the Church to read the actual document for proof as I have nothing to hide.
1. Joseph Smith: The Choice Seer, epilogue: Ours is the song of praise to the man ordained from eternity past to part the veil and open the heavens, for through him the fulness of truth and the fulness of priesthood powers have come to earth again. Joseph Fielding McConkie.
2. Handbook of the Restoration [pamphlets], pg. 50; God chose this man. He spoke through him. The virgin, unsophisticated mind of the youth was a fertile field for the planting of spiritual seeds. They grew and matured into a perfect faith that brought Joseph into partnership with God. When that came to be, there was nothing unattainable, for as we are told of old, one man and God are a majority. Various Authors
3. Handbook of the Restoration [pamphlets], pg. 50-1; If any man has received in his heart the witness of the divine truth embraced in the contributions of the Prophet Joseph, I charge him to be true,-true to his testimony, true to the Prophet, the founder, true to the cause If any man has not received this witness, I appeal for his thoughtful, prayerful, sympathetic consideration. I offer to him assurance that if he will receive and apply the teachings of Joseph Smith he will be made happy. Doubt and uncertainty will leave him Various Authors
4. Discourses of the Prophet Joseph Smith, pgs. 22-3; He opened up communication with the heavens in his youth. He brought forth the Book of Mormon, which contains the fullness of the Gospel In a word, he did more in from 14 to 20 years for the salvation of man than any other man save Jesus only, that ever lived. (JD 24:14-15.). Comment by Joseph F. Smith. Also D&C 135.
5. Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, pg. 363; God made Aaron to be the mouthpiece for the children of Israel, and He will make me be god to you in His stead, and the Elders to be mouth for me; and if you dont like it, you must lump it. I have been giving Elder Adams instruction in some principles to speak to you, and if he makes a mistake, I will get up and correct him. (April 8, 1844.).
6. The Doctrine and Covenants Speaks, 2:456; One of Joseph Smiths contributions to the salvation of men in this world was the bringing forth of . . . the Book of Mormon, which he translated by the gift and power of God. . . . (D&C 135:3.).
7. Doctrines of Salvation 1:192; ONLY JOSEPH SMITH FULFILS ANCIENT PROMISES. Joseph Smith declared that he, with Oliver Cowdery, his companion, received the keys of the gathering of Israel. No one else ever claimed to have had them revealed to him. If Joseph Smith did not receive them, then someone must be empowered with this authority before the coming of the Lord Malachi has said that the Lord would send Elijah before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the Lord. The Prophet Joseph Smith said he (Elijah) came to him and Oliver Cowdery with the keys of that power. If he did not, and they have told a falsehood .
8. Answers: Straightforward Answers to Tough Gospel Questions, pgs. 48-9; Joseph Smith and many of the leading brethren of that day were Masons. The question implies that there is something secret or sinister in their Masonic affiliation. This was hardly the case. The Saints who built Nauvoo built a Masonic lodge there. It is among the buildings that have been restored in Nauvoo, and visitors are encouraged to visit it It is not inconceivable that the Prophet, sensing something about the ancient roots of Masonry, inquired of the Lord about it. In that sense it may have been one of the influences that prepared the way for the revelations that restored the ceremonies of the temple The idea that the kind of faith and courage common to our pioneer forebears grew out of rituals copied from a fraternal organization is ludicrous.
9. Discourses of the Prophet Joseph Smith, pg. 200; In relation to the power over the minds of mankind which I hold, I would say, It is in consequence of the power of truth in the doctrines which I have been an instrument in the hands of God of presenting unto them, and not because of any compulsion on my part Why do not my enemies strike a blow at the doctrine? They cannot do it: it is truth, and I defy all men to upset it. I am the voice of one crying in the wilderness, Repent ye of your sins and prepare the way for the coming of the Son of Man
10. Discourses of the Prophet Joseph Smith, pg. 31; The Prophets Effectiveness I have more to boast of than ever any man had. I am the only man that has ever been able to keep a whole church together since the days of Adam. A large majority of the whole have stood by me. Neither Paul, John, Peter, nor Jesus ever did it. I boast that no man ever did such a work as I. The followers of Jesus ran away from Him; but the Latter-day Saints never ran away from me yet. (HC 6:408-9.)
11. History of the Church 5:218; Some of the company thought I was not a very meek Prophet; so I told them: I am meek and lowly in heart, and will personify Jesus for a moment, to illustrate the principle, and cried out with a loud voice, Woe unto you, ye doctors; woe unto you, ye lawyers; woe unto you, ye scribes, Pharisees, and hypocrites! &c. But you cannot find the place where I ever went that I found fault with their food, their drink, their house, their lodgings; no, never; and this is what is meant by the meekness and lowliness of Jesus.
12. Doctrines of Salvation 1:184; Joseph Smith was chosen to stand at the head of the work of the Lord in the last days, and his work was assigned to him through the fore-knowledge of our Eternal Father in the eternities before he was born. He came in the spirit of Elias to prepare the way for the coming of our Lord. No prophet since the days of Adam, save, of course, our Redeemer, has been given a greater mission.
13. Discourses of the Prophet Joseph Smith, pg. 179; My enemies say that I have been a true prophet. Why, I had rather be a fallen true prophet than a false prophet. When a man goes about prophesying, and commands men to obey his teachings, he must either be a true or false prophet. False prophets always arise to oppose the true prophets and they will prophesy so very near the truth that they will deceive almost the very chosen ones. (HC 6:364.)
14. History of the Church, 6:364-5; He that arms himself with gun, sword, or pistol, except in the defense of truth, will sometime be sorry for it. I never carry any weapon with me bigger than my penknife. When I was dragged before the cannon and muskets in Missouri, I was unarmed. God will always protect me until my mission is fulfilled.(Joseph Smith, History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 7 vols., introduction and notes by B. H. Roberts [Salt Lake City: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1932-1951], 6: 364 365.)
15. Great are the Words of Isaiah, pg. 71; Isaiah 11:10; The interpretation of this passage has been given by Joseph Smith in D&C 113:1-4. The stem of Jesse is Christ. The book of Revelation also identifies Jesus as such (see Rev. 5:5; 22:16). The rod is a servant in the hands of Christ, who is partly a descendant of Jesse as well as of Ephraim (D&C 113:4). That the servant is Joseph Smith himself seems evident.
16. Journal of Discourses 7:289; no man or woman in this dispensation will ever enter into the celestial kingdom of God without the consent of Joseph Smith. From the day that the Priesthood was taken from the earth to the winding-up scene of all things, every man and woman must have the certificate of Joseph Smith, junior, as a passport to their entrance into the mansion where God and Christ areI with you and you with me. I cannot go there without his consent. He holds the keys of that kingdom for the last dispensationthe keys to rule in the spirit-world; and he rules there triumphantly, for he gained full power and a glorious victory over the power of Satan while he was yet in the flesh, and was a martyr to his religion and to the name of Christ
17. Joseph Smith: Choice Seer, preface; In assessing the marvelous impact of the Choice Seers work on this dispensation, we will turn first and foremost to the doctrinal teachings of Joseph Smith as set forth in his sermons, letters, revelations, translations, and narrations. In addition, we will rely occasionally on the clarifications and expansions of those who knew Brother Joseph firsthand and studied at his feet, as well as those apostolic and prophetic successors to whom is given the divine mandate to build on the doctrinal foundation he laid.
18. Handbook of the Restoration: A Discussion of Gospel Themes, pg. 25-35; Joseph Smith That he was an extraordinary man is conceded by friend and foe a restorer of the pure and uncorrupted gospel of Jesus Christ. At no time did he declare that he brought a new message of salvation to the world; his mission was to restore and declare, to expound and enlarge the old truth the commentaries by the apostles, which constitute the latter part of the New Testament, are fragmentary and incomplete. Joseph, the Prophet, gave to the world in this day a large and rich interpretation of the gospel of Jesus Christ The achievements of Joseph Smith are much greater than those of ordinary men; they appear to transcend usual human powers, and cannot be explained in terms of common experience Space does not permit us to illustrate the divine power of Joseph Smith by the many principles of truth that he taught.
19. Joseph Smiths Idea of the Gospel, pg. 8; Joseph Smiths view of the gospel is based upon the assumption that, before the fall, Adam resided in the presence of God and, consequently, was enveloped in the life-giving, quickening powers that constitute Gods glory or presence. In this condition, his whole being was filled with intelligence and life, and corruption in every form was foreign to his nature. In the words of the Prophet, All corruption is devoured by the fire.
20. Divine Authority or the Question, Was Joseph Smith sent of God?, pg. 4; How came Mr.Smith, if a deceiver, to think of all this? Did Martin Luther, Wesley, Whitfield, Swedenborg, or Irving think of this? Whence his superior intellect, his depth of understanding, his extensive foresight, that he should so far surpass all former impostors for 1700 years? John testifies that when the everlasting gospel is restored to the earth it shall be by an angel. Mr.Smith testifies that it was restored by an angel, and in no other way. This is another presumptive evidence that he was sent of God.
21. LDS Hymn #27; Praise to the man, verses. 1, 2, 4;
Praise to the man who communed with Jehovah!
Jesus annointed [sic] that Prophet and Seer.
Blessed to open the last dispensation,
Kings shall extol him and nations revere.
Hail to the Prophet, ascended to heaven!
Traitors and tyrants now fight him in vain.
Mingling with Gods, he can plan for his brethren;
Death cannot conquer the hero again.
Great is his glory and endless his priesthood.
Ever and ever the keys he will hold.
Faithful and true, he will enter his kingdom,
Crowned in the midst of the prophets of old.
22. Encyclopedia of Mormonism, pg. 546; Though Latter-day Saints extensively use the scriptures to learn about God, their fundamental knowledge concerning him is based upon the Prophet Joseph Smiths first vision, the Prophets subsequent revelatory experiences, and individual personal revelation.
23. Discourses of the Prophet Joseph Smith, pg. 7; In thirty nations are men and women who look upon him as a greater leader than Moses and a greater prophet than Isaiah; his disciples now number close to a million [the present figure is over 3.5 million]; and already a granite shaft pierces the sky over the place where he was born, and another is in course of erection over the place where he is credited with having received the inspiration for his Book. (John Henry Evans, op. cit., introduction.)
24. Answers: Straightforward Answers to Tough Gospel Questions, pg. 48; Joseph Smith was told that he was a descendant of Abraham He was also told that he was a lawful heir, according to the flesh, to the priesthood Prophecy further identified him as a direct lineal descendant of Joseph of Egypt More particularly, he is represented as being a descendant of Ephraim and as having some of the blood of Jesse title page to the Book of Mormon, which was written by Moroni, says that it will come forth by the hand of a Gentile. Reference here is to his citizenship in a Gentile nation Thus Joseph Smith was a literal descendant of the house of Israel while at the same time being a citizen of a Gentile nation.
So well ask the question again. Doesnt this sound like worship? Weve listed more than enough examples where various leaders have claimed Smith is greater than Moses or Isaiah, he is related to Jesus, has done more than any other man on earth except Jesus, people studied at his feet and dont forget, he saved the world! The most startling evidence is taken from their hymn book, Praise to the Man. To the average member of the Church it may not seem as if youre worshipping Joseph and I can remember thinking and feeling the same way. I encourage the members to take another look after reading this and then ask yourself; who am I worshipping?
We see in Hebrews 9:24-28; 10:1-4; For Christ is not entered into the holy places made with hands, which are the figures of the true; but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God for us: Nor yet that he should offer himself often, as the high priest entereth into the holy place every year with blood of others; For then must he often have suffered since the foundation of the world: but now once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself. And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment: So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation .For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect. For then would they not have ceased to be offered? because that the worshippers once purged should have had no more conscience of sins. But in those sacrifices there is a remembrance again made of sins every year. For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins.
It is impossible for man to please God without the blood of Jesus Christ. This doesnt mean that we work for salvation because Jesus died for us! It means that Jesus did all the work alone! If you love Jesus like you say you do, please, take one day in the next week and think about everything He did for you! Think about the time He spent on the cross, read the gospels, see what He said, where He walked, what did He do? These are the things we set our minds upon as members of the body of Christ. We think about what Jesus did, the various titles that are given to Him and why, peoples reaction to Him, the patience that He portrayed for people and His unselfish love. As a Mormon can you name Jesus favorite place to pray?
Why would you as a Christian place a mere human between yourself and Jesus? This is exactly what the LDS Church has done with Joseph Smith! Many times members of the Church dont even use Joseph Smiths last name. Most refer to him as just Joseph and everyone knows who is being spoken of; yet when was the last time you heard a Mormon use the name of just Jesus? If a Christian were to use just the name of Joseph when speaking about religious topics they would think of Joseph from the Bible, not Joseph Smith!
Oh, He so wants for you to know Him! For just one day think upon only Jesus, if youre really a Christian this shouldnt be a problem. See if you can name 24 facts about Jesus in regards to His birth, how He fulfilled an Old Testament prophecy, what if anything did He say about His own death, what significant things took place when He died, a miracle He performed and why, etc. Use just the Bible for your investigation and find out first hand if it really does contradict itself.
If youre a Mormon know that were praying for you. If youre a Christian who has a friend or family member who is LDS, let us know how we can pray for you and him/her! Were not here to bash the LDS people or to bring shame upon them publicly; we are here to contend for the faith as it says in Jude 3 and to share the truth about Gods Son, Christ Jesus!
With Love in Christ;
1 Cor. 1:18
Look here to see how Mormons substitute Joseph Smith for Jesus Christ this time of year: Praise To The Man: A Review Of The Annual Joseph Smith Memorial Sermons [Mormon Merry Smithmas]
From the article: Ours is the song of praise to the man ordained from eternity past to part the veil and open the heavens..." - Joseph Fielding McConkie
From Joseph Smith himself, as quoted in the article: He will make me be god to you in His stead...
Read #21 in the article for the words to a worship hymn sung to Joseph Smith..."Kings shall extol him and nations revere" (I thought Jesus Christ was to be worshiped -- not Joseph Smith!)...one of the lines is "Mingling with gods" (Don't tell me Mormons aren't polytheists!)
Joseph Smith quote from the article: The Prophets Effectiveness I have more to boast of than ever any man had. I am the only man that has ever been able to keep a whole church together since the days of Adam. A large majority of the whole have stood by me. Neither Paul, John, Peter, nor Jesus ever did it. I boast that no man ever did such a work as I. The followers of Jesus ran away from Him; but the Latter-day Saints never ran away from me yet. (HC 6:408-9.)
Of course they do. Anyone reading the words of their own leaders and “sacred” writings is either a liar or in denial.
Tis the season for love and sharing and peace on earth. How sweet of you. /sarc
“So, as this is similar to the you did yesterday, I’m guessing we can look forward to these daily Smithmas posts from you... in a similar vein that you cranked out so many haunted/ghost/evil related Mormon threads leading up to Halloween.”
Do you believe when a false prophet comes along, he ought to be exposed?
Based on what you have posted Joseph Smith was supposed to be the reincarnation or second coming of Jesus? Since he was born, lived and died what do the Morons do now Smith is gone? Wait for his return?
I was just about to post IBTWVM!
(In Before The Whining Victim Mormons)
“Smithmas”? A saint’s first name is normally used for his feast day, as in Michaelmas and Martinmas for St. Michael and St. Martin, respectively, so shouldn’t it be “Josephmas”? In any case, I understand your point.
I was just about to post IBTWVM!
(In Before The Whining Victim Mormons)
He has his god status and celestial wives to defend...
Based on what you have posted Joseph Smith was supposed to be the reincarnation or second coming of Jesus?
No, a direct descendant....
As to the makeup of families, Elder Hartman Rector Jr., a convert to the Church, quipped: My wife and I had two children at the time the elders knocked on the door, and we were expecting our third, and that was all that we were going to have. That was one for me, one for my wife, and one unplanned; then we found out why we are here. Now we have seven, and expecting another. Joseph Smith is responsible for five of my children.
Hartman Rector Jr., The Prophet Joseph Smith, transcript, Logan institute, 1972, 3.
Then I hope Joseph Smith is supporting them and not the taxpayers...
They’re just buttering up old Joe for when they stand before him he will see how they “worshiped” him and he will let them into heaven. ;-D
Are the Mormons expecting another Joseph Smith to pop up any time now?
I really think your tagline is ridiculous considering your bitter posts, LOL.
WHO said Sacred Writings??
"Now the way he translated was he put the urim and thummim into his hat and Darkned his Eyes than he would take a sentance and it would apper in Brite Roman Letters. Then he would tell the writer and he would write it. Then that would go away the next sentance would Come and so on. But if it was not Spelt rite it would not go away till it was rite, so we see it was marvelous. Thus was the hol [whole] translated."---Joseph Knight's journal.
"In writing for your father I frequently wrote day after day, often sitting at the table close by him, he sitting with his face buried in his hat, with the stone in it, and dictating hour after hour with nothing between us."
(History of the RLDS Church, 8 vols.(Independence, Missouri: Herald House,1951),"Last Testimony of Sister Emma [Smith Bidamon]," 3:356.
"I, as well as all of my father's family, Smith's wife, Oliver Cowdery and Martin Harris, were present during the translation. . . . He [Joseph Smith] did not use the plates in translation."
---(David Whitmer,as published in the "Kansas City Journal," June 5, 1881,and reprinted in the RLDS "Journal of History", vol. 8, (1910), pp. 299-300.
In an 1885 interview, Zenas H. Gurley, then the editor of the RLDS Saints Herald, asked Whitmer if Joseph had used his "Peep stone" to do the translation. Whitmer replied:
"... he used a stone called a "Seers stone," the "Interpreters" having been taken away from him because of transgression. The "Interpreters" were taken from Joseph after he allowed Martin Harris to carry away the 116 pages of Ms [manuscript] of the Book of Mormon as a punishment, but he was allowed to go on and translate by use of a "Seers stone" which he had, and which he placed in a hat into which he buried his face, stating to me and others that the original character appeared upon parchment and under it the translation in English."
"Martin Harris related an incident that occurred during the time that he wrote that portion of the translation of the Book of Mormon which he was favored to write direct from the mouth of the Prophet Joseph Smith. He said that the Prophet possessed a seer stone, by which he was enabled to translate as well as from the Urim and Thummim, and for convenience he then used the seer stone, Martin explained the translation as follows: By aid of the seer stone, sentences would appear and were read by the Prophet and written by Martin and when finished he would say 'Written,' and if correctly written that sentence would disappear and another appear in its place, but if not written correctly it remained until corrected, so that the translation was just as it was engraven on the plates, precisely in the language then used."
(Edward Stevenson, "One of the Three Witnesses,"reprinted from Deseret News, 30 Nov. 1881in Millennial Star, 44 (6 Feb. 1882): 86-87.)
In 1879, Michael Morse, Emma Smith's brother-in-law, stated:"When Joseph was translating the Book of Mormon [I] had occasion more than once to go into his immediate presence, and saw him engaged at his work of translation. The mode of procedure consisted in Joseph's placing the Seer Stone in the crown of a hat, then putting his face into the hat, so as to entirely cover his face, resting his elbows upon his knees, and then dictating word after word, while the scribes Emma, John Whitmer, O. Cowdery, or some other wrote it down."
(W.W. Blair interview with Michael Morse,Saints Herald, vol. 26, no. 12June 15, 1879, pp. 190-91.)
Joseph Smith's brother William also testified to the "face in the hat" version:"The manner in which this was done was by looking into the Urim and Thummim, which was placed in a hat to exclude the light, (the plates lying near by covered up), and reading off the translation, which appeared in the stone by the power of God"("A New Witness for Christ in America,"Francis W. Kirkham, 2:417.)
"The manner in which he pretended to read and interpret was the same manner as when he looked for the money-diggers, with the stone in his hat, while the book of plates were at the same time hid in the woods."---Isaac Hale (Emma Smith's father's) affidavit, 1834.
I dont think so
Just like the Moslems and Mohammad...
for the Mormons Joey Smirth was and is THE “prophet>>>
Whenever you read “the prophet” in Mormon literature and doctrines thats Joseph Smith...
I dont think so
Just like the Moslems and Mohammad...
for the Mormons Joey Smith was and is THE “prophet”
Whenever you read “the prophet” in Mormon literature and doctrines thats Joseph Smith...
Yes, Ma'am; and we'll be doing it again tomorrow, and Thursday and Friday and ...
Yes; it is.
Do approve of or denounce the following MORMON quotes?
"For unbelievers we will quote from the Scriptures - "Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God." Again - "Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh, is of God."
I will now give my scripture - "Whosoever confesseth that Joseph Smith was sent of God to reveal the holy Gospel to the children of men, and lay the foundation for gathering Israel, and building up the kingdom of God on the earth, that spirit is of God; and every spirit that does not confess that God has sent Joseph Smith, and revealed the everlasting Gospel to and through him, is of Antichrist.......
Here's some MORE for MORMON's...
"Now if any of you will deny the plurality of wives, and continue to do so, I promise that you will be damned; and I will go still further and say, take this revelation, or any other revelation that the Lord has given, and deny it in your feelings, and I promise that you will be damned.
- JoD 3:266 (July 14, 1855)
It is true that the earth was organized by three distinct characters, namely, Eloheim, Yahovah, and Michael, these three forming a quorum, as in all heavenly bodies, and in organizing element, perfectly represented in the Deity, as Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.
Again, they will try to tell how the divinity of Jesus is joined to his humanity, and exhaust all their mental faculties, and wind up with this profound language, as describing the soul of man, "it is an immaterial substance!" What a learned idea! Jesus, our elder brother, was begotten in the flesh by the same character that was in the garden of Eden, and who is our Father in Heaven. Now, let all who may hear these doctrines, pause before they make light of them, or treat them with indifference, for they will prove their salvation or damnation.
I have given you a few leading items upon this subject, but a great deal more remains to be told. Now, remember from this time forth, and for ever, that Jesus Christ was not begotten by the Holy Ghost.
- JoD 1:50-51 (April 9, 1852)
The rank, rabid abolitionists, whom I call black-hearted Republicans, have set the whole national fabric on fire. Do you know this, Democrats? They have kindled the fire that is raging now from the north to the south, and from the south to the north. I am no abolitionist, neither am I a proslavery man; I hate some of their principles and especially some of their conduct, as I do the gates of hell. The Southerners make the negroes, and the Northerners worship them; this is all the difference between slaveholders. and abolitionists. I would like the President of the United States and all the world to hear this.
Shall I tell you the law of God in regard to the African race? If the white man who belongs to the chosen seed mixes his blood with the seed of Cain, the penalty, under the law of God, is death on the spot. This will always be so.
- JoD: vol.10 p. 110: (March 8, 1863)
It looks like BrighamYoung was pretty good at bashings.
They succeeded in killing Joseph, but he had finished his work.He was a servant of God, and gave us the Book of Mormon.He said the Bible was right in the main, but, through the translators and others, many precious portions were suppressed, and several other portions were wrongly translated; and now his testimony is in force, for he has sealed it with his blood.As I have frequently told them, no man in this dispensation will enter the courts of heaven, without the approbation of the Prophet Joseph Smith, Jun.Who has made this so?Have I?Have this people?Have the world?No; but the Lord Jehovah has decreed it.If I ever pass into the heavenly courts, it will be by the consent of the Prophet Joseph.If you ever pass through the gates into the Holy City, you will do so upon his certificate that you are worthy to pass.Can you pass without his inspection?No; neither can any person in this dispensation, which is the dispensation of the fulness of times.In this generation, and in all the generations that are to come, everyone will have to undergo the scrutiny of this Prophet.They say that they killed Joseph, and they will yet come with their hats under their arms and bend to him; but what good will it do them, unless they repent?They can come in a certain way and find favor, but will they?
--JOURNAL OF DISCOURSES, vol. 8, p. 224
You've misspelled hypocritical.
Jesus, our elder brother, was begotten in the flesh by the same character that was in the garden of Eden,
- Brigham Young
Now the serpent was more subtle than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made.
Yep, just a little logpside.
PULL QUOTE: we celebrate not only the birth of the Savior but also the birthday of our Prophet Joseph Smith.
PULL QUOTE: The festivities began on Joseph’s birthday, Dec. 23, and will run until Jan. 3.
PULL QUOTE: As the Doctrine and Covenants affirms, “Joseph Smith, the Prophet and Seer of the Lord, has done more, save Jesus only, for the salvation of men in this world, than any other man that ever lived in it.”
OBSERVATION: not even a mention of Jesus Christ
When I was LDS, I would have said what we often hear here that Mormons don’t worship Joseph Smith. However, after I left, and became a real Christian, I started to see just how much devotion is given to Smith and how it really is worship.
Mormons themselves will often say they only worship God the Father not Jesus Christ (see McConkie also) but they fail to realize that Smith is mentioned and shown devotion FAR more than Christ ever is - all the way down to the Joseph Smith nativity at BYU.
Mormons don’t see that they worship Smith, just like they don’t see that they claim a false Christ. They are spiritually blind above all else.
Merry Smithmas, Rip!
BTW, ‘tis the season to remember the birth of God incarnate, Jesus Christ, not the birth of a con-man Joseph Smith.
Smith claimed to be a direct decendant of Christ (who was a polygamist according to LDS prophets) and even greater than Christ (I can give you the quote if you wish).
I remember reading, when I was LDS, that Smith would return with Christ and help govern the theocratic (LDS) United States when Christ returned to Missouri.
Each LDS prophet is, in a way, another Joseph Smith. However, the LDS put Smith on a pedestal over all the others since he was the ‘chosen one’ to ‘restore’ the ‘only true and living church upon the face of the earth’.
Many do eagerly await his return in the clouds, though (sound familiar?).
“Yes, Ma’am; and we’ll be doing it again tomorrow, and Thursday and Friday and ...”
Why is it that the Mormons I meet are pretty decent people but they follow a set of teachings that is so corny?
That last quote is ironic since Young had at least 3 black slaves with him in his hand cart trek and slaves were given as tithing in Deseret.
Uh... you spelled HYP...
I love this time of year. Our Ward is all aglow with the Spirit of Thanksgiving and Christmas. We celebrate the birth of our Savior and love and joy of the Season.
I feel sorry for the anti Mormons; they are missing out on all the Goodness.
We believe that Joseph Smith was a Prophet of God - he was just a man - and we do not worship him. The anti Mormons around these parts just keep on posting and posting - copy and paste - the same old stuff day after day after day.
“Why is it that the Mormons I meet are pretty decent people but they follow a set of teachings that is so corny?”
If believing that Jesus Christ is my Savior is “corny” I am guilty as charged.
“Smith claimed to be a direct decendant of Christ (who was a polygamist according to LDS prophets) and even greater than Christ (I can give you the quote if you wish).”
Oh, for God’s sake. It looks like you are saying that we believe that Christ was a polygamist. Please be more careful when speaking of our Savior, Redeemer, and Soon Coming King, Jesus Christ of Nazareth - the Great Jehovah of the Old Testament and Savior in the New Testament. As a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints I do not appreciate your comments about my Church and my Faith, not to mention my wonderful beautiful Savior Jesus Christ the Head of my Church.
Was it good for you too ?
I don’t care if Mormons deify a dead rabbi from a couple thousand years ago and try to follow his example the best they know how. That part is great, but the mainstream Mormon beliefs that come out of the Book of Mormon and the DnC and other writings, such as becoming a god of your own planet, just strike me as odd.
We celebrate the birth of our Savior and love and joy of the Season.
I feel sorry for the anti Mormons; they are missing out on all the Goodness.
Sandy, Im not missing anything by not worshipping your false prophet the criminal and child rapist Joey Smith ..
But you as an anti-Christian are missing eternity with God by not worshipping the LORD Jesus Christ and Him only...
It looks like you are saying that we believe that Christ was a polygamist.
Because thats what mormons believe...
Oh, for .... sake. (The Name dedacted)
Sandy no Christian...no believer in the God of the Christian Bible would ever take His Name in vain...
We know however that you are not a believer and therefore do not care what you say about him...
Please be more careful when speaking of our Savior, Redeemer, and Soon Coming King, Jesus Christ of Nazareth - the Great Jehovah of the Old Testament and Savior in the New Testament.
Maybe you just cut and pasted this from your Mormon website for FARMS/FAIR/LDSInc withoput reading the words...
You might want to see my last post
Meanwhile you pitiful mormons are adding more and more words from that Christian Bible you dont believe...
and Sandy unless you say that God is Triune and that the Trinity is Truth...
and that the LORD Jesus Christ is God and always has been God...
you are just giving lip service (keyboard service ???) to these words and terms...
They mean nothing to you...
I could say and write allahu akbar all day long and it would mean nothing...
I do not appreciate your comments about my Church and my Faith,
I couldnt care less about your dumb pagan religion or what you have faith in..
If you dont like the written truth about your chosen religion
then get out...
Whited sepulchres. MormonISM requires of them that they earn Salvation, so they learn from childhood to behave as best they can ... until, like Milt Rominy or Harry Reid they see an opportunity to use their outward good behavior as a foil to obtain from their fellow creatures. The secret pride they carry about puts them at emtity with God, but they don’t really believe that so they continue in the lie, with pride corroding their souls the more. They are not forgiven, just goody two shoes outwardly. You see, they are taught that they ‘can’ obtain salvation necause of the Mormon jesus, after all that they can do to earn it. Devilish trap that
I hadn't thought of that before.
Interesting spiritual psycho-analysis. And probably spot on; I just can't say for certain 'cause I don't know individual Mormons' motives for Smith veneration.
Certainly, for those who believe what other Lds leaders have taught -- that they need Smith's consent to enter (celestial) heaven -- I'd say that would be a "butter up" motivator if there e'er was one.
Interesting how Mormons replace the Subject of John 14:6 (Jesus) with both "Consenter" Smith and the Mormon church (Lds first President Marion Romney called the Mormon church "the way, the truth, and the life").
Your bitterness is oozing out, Sandy. Have a cookie and a cup of tea.
Another round of Praise to the Man shall we.