Skip to comments.Crown of Thorns Galaxy - a Good Friday Reflection
Posted on 04/06/2012 8:22:48 AM PDT by NYer
- Who would believe what we have heard? To whom has the arm of the LORD been revealed?
- 1 He grew up like a sapling before him, like a shoot from the parched earth; There was in him no stately bearing to make us look at him, nor appearance that would attract us to him.
- 2 He was spurned and avoided by men, a man of suffering, accustomed to infirmity, One of those from whom men hide their faces, spurned, and we held him in no esteem.
- 3 Yet it was our infirmities that he bore, our sufferings that he endured, While we thought of him as stricken, as one smitten by God and afflicted.
- But he was pierced for our offenses, crushed for our sins, Upon him was the chastisement that makes us whole, by his stripes we were healed.
- We had all gone astray like sheep, each following his own way; But the LORD laid upon him the guilt of us all.
- Though he was harshly treated, he submitted and opened not his mouth; Like a lamb led to the slaughter or a sheep before the shearers, he was silent and opened not his mouth.
- Oppressed and condemned, he was taken away, and who would have thought any more of his destiny? When he was cut off from the land of the living, and smitten for the sin of his people,
- A grave was assigned him among the wicked and a burial place with evildoers, Though he had done no wrong nor spoken any falsehood.
- 4 (But the LORD was pleased to crush him in infirmity.) If he gives his life as an offering for sin, he shall see his descendants in a long life, and the will of the LORD shall be accomplished through him.
- Because of his affliction he shall see the light in fullness of days; Through his suffering, my servant shall justify many, and their guilt he shall bear.
- Therefore I will give him his portion among the great, and he shall divide the spoils with the mighty, Because he surrendered himself to death and was counted among the wicked; And he shall take away the sins of many, and win pardon for their offenses.
The Crown of Thorns Galaxy, an unusual large galaxy with a shape bordering between spiral and elliptical, was spotted by NASA's Hubble Space Telescope in 2009.
NGC 7049 sits in the southern constellation Indus, and is the brightest of a cluster of galaxies, a so-called Brightest Cluster Galaxy (BCG). Typical BCGs are some of the oldest and most massive galaxies, which provide excellent opportunities for astronomers to study the elusive globular clusters lurking within.
The halo, a ghostly region of diffuse light surrounding the galaxy, is composed of myriads of individual stars and provides a luminous background to the swirling ring of dust lanes surrounding NGC 7049's core.
Small faint points of light sprinkled throughout the galaxy represent globular clusters, which are gravitational groupings of several hundreds of thousands of stars. They contain some of the first stars to be produced in a galaxy.
NGC 7049 has far fewer such clusters than other similar giant galaxies in very big, rich groups. This indicates to astronomers how the surrounding environment influenced the formation of galaxy halos in the early universe.
Hubble captured this image using its Advanced Camera for Surveys, which is primed to hunt galaxies and galaxy clusters in the remote and ancient universe.
May this day be one of quiet contemplation and prayer. May our Lord bless all of you on this holiest of days.
The heavens keep telling the wonders of God, and the skies declare what He has done. Psalms 19:1 NIV
And I am amazed that some atheist jack-hole hasn't complained and sued the US Gov't agency to change the name.
Thank you, NYer. You pulled me back from the petty cares of this world to consider the wonder of the next.
The founder of EVERY false faith met death and lost. Their bodies remain dust in their graves.
The tomb of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ is empty! We do not look for the living among the dead!
The lame walk. The blind see. The dead are given life.
He is risen! Even so come.
O happy fault, O necessary sin of Adam, which gained for us so great a Redeemer!
Judas actually had to go up and single him out with a traitor's kiss to make sure the posse didn't pick up the wrong guy.
No coincidence here!
Good Friday 2012
Preparing for the Good Friday Liturgy [Catholic/Orthodox Caucus]
A Fiery Sermon (Good Friday Sermon at Vatican and NYT interpretation)
Today, On Good Friday, Here's Why I Remain Catholic
The Death of Jesus, An essay by Alphonsus Liguori
Good Friday Stations of the Cross at the Englewood, NJ Abortion Mill, Friday, April 2, 2010
The Sacred Triduum: Holy Thursday, Good Friday and Easter. The Mystery of Faith
Catholic Word of the Day: GOOD FRIDAY, 05-29-09
Pope warns of 'a desert of godlessness' in Good Friday address
This Friday Makes the Whole World Good
Why we call it 'Good' Friday
What Is Not True About the Good Friday Prayer for Jews (Errors in Understanding)
(Cardinal Murphy-O'Conner) Today Is the Feast Day for Those Who Suffer
Reflection: Why This Friday is So Good
The Seven Last Words of Christ
The Holiday Hallmark Can't Handle
Good Friday Reproaches
Online Exclusive: Good Friday: A good day for faith, family and food
GOOD FRIDAY HOMILY 2002 PREACHED BY FATHER ALTIER.
Prostration and Vestments on Good Friday And More on the Precious Blood
Reflections for Good Friday: The Crucifixion and Death of Our Lord
Last Seven Words of Christ Are Full of "Spirit and Life"
Divine Mercy Novena Begins on Good Friday
The Drawing of Christ on the Cross [Images]"
The Three Crosses: The Bad Thief or the Cross Rejected
The Three Crosses: The Good Thief or the Cross Accepted
GOOD FRIDAY PRAYERS TO END ABORTION
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.