Skip to comments.What is "Celestial Polygamy"? [Mainstream Mormons say polygamy still occurring near Kolobian colony]
Posted on 04/22/2012 12:50:55 AM PDT by Colofornian
click here to read article
So...here, an Lds spokesperson -- forced to concede that Lds believes it is practicing polygamy on another planet/colony...
And not just another planet...as Lds "apostle" Bruce McConkie taught polygamy would return when Jesus returned:
From the article: According to an article in the April 20, 2008 edition of the Salt Lake Tribune: Though the LDS Church had disavowed polygamy, it is still enshrined in Mormon scripture (Doctrine & Covenants 132) and some believe it will one day be re-established, if not on Earth, at least in heaven. In his quasi-official 1966 book Mormon Doctrine, which remains in print, the late LDS Apostle Bruce R. McConkie wrote that the holy practice will commence again after the Second Coming and the ushering in of the millennium. And by policy, men can be sealed for eternity in LDS temple rites to more than one wife, though women are permitted only a single sealing. Three of the church's current apostles, for example, were widowed and remarried. Each will have two wives in the eternities (Modern-day Mormons disavow polygamy)...The three Mormon Apostles referred to in this article are Dallin Oaks, L. Tom Perry, and Russell M. Nelson. All three men are widowers, and all three men have been sealed to a second wife.
And so even three current Lds "apostles" (Oaks, Perry, Nelson) have been sealed "for eternity" in the Mormon temple...and anticipate sleeping with both wives in their "new life" beyond death...
From the article: Question: Is polygamy gone forever from the Church? We only know what the Lord has revealed through His prophets, that plural marriage has been stopped in the Church. Anything else is speculative and unwarranted. If it is really speculative and unwarranted, what is the point of Mormon widowers being sealed in Mormon temples? If temple sealings of this nature have significance in the hereafter, how can the LDS Church honestly say plural marriage has been stopped?
Here, the Mormon church again speaking out of both sides of its mouth...telling members one thing about so-called "eternal polygamy"...yet conveying a "Oh, it's all speculative" PR press release to the public!
I’m guessing the celestial heavens won’t be democracies...
If it were, the man would be doing all the work and the women would be watching tv and eating bon bons.
I can’t see any way to maintain civil sanctions against polygamy while permitting same sex weddings.. I expect it to be increasingly difficult to draw any lines at all, we are headed for anything goes.
I agree with you. Many leaders in the Old Testament Bible were polygamists, but not one leader was a closet homosexual.
Yeah, when i was young i was thinking of becoming a Mormon, because of my ignorance i thought that Mormon men were required to have more than one wife, but after some time i realized this was not the case and in fact according to the book of Mormon men are actually forbidden to have more than one wife.
So the fact that many of our Christian founding fathers did have more than one wife amazed me, in other words why would the Christians who actually came from plural marriages ( the 12 tribes ) criticize others for wanting the same thing?
If the Mormons are involved in polygamy they are going against their own teaching which according to their accusers come from the book of Mormon which forbids polygamy.
So if other Christians do not believe in the book of Mormon why would they care if the Mormons do not adhere to it?
The marriages sealed in the temple are nothing but a form of religion and since every one seems to love religion i just can,t see it as being such a big deal, this it the kind of stuff that religion is made of.
Now, regarding early polygamous groups in the Americas, try naming just about any of them. We even found the grave sites of an early polygamous group in Southern Indiana where there'd been heavy Swiss settlement. They'd been polygamous in Switzerland. They continued the practice here. Somebody's ever so great grandfather was buried under a large stone and his dozen or so wives were buried under smaller stones surrounding his large stone.
Otherwise my understanding is they were rather strict Lutherans.
Then there are the guys who took wagon trains West ~ Billy Blythe, Bill Clinton's 5X great grandfather was a good example ~ he left town names AND babies littered all across the West.
The Mormons in Utah had the misfortune of wanting statehood at a time in American history when there was a widespread crackdown against polygamy underway. Marriage laws were being revised to FORCE people into legally married states simply for having engaged in sexual congress.
Those old boys didn't have a chance. Currently we have the marriage pendulum swung all the way back to serial polygamy. Eventually that will change and the Mormons will once more seem to be mainstream.
'True' MORMONs do!
After all; it is SCRIPTURE!!! an it is ETERNAL!!!
"Now if any of you will deny the plurality of wives, and continue to do so, I promise that you will be damned;
and I will go still further and say, take this revelation, or any other revelation that the Lord has given,
and deny it in your feelings, and I promise that you will be damned.
Brigham Young - JoD 3:266 (July 14, 1855)
That Thump-Thump you heard was the BUS running over their 'god'!
~ Wilford Woodruff, 4th LDS President
I wonder WHY???
Could it be SULFUR!?!?
20. Then the LORD said, "The outcry against Sodom and Gomorrah is so great and their sin so grievous
21. that I will go down and see if what they have done is as bad as the outcry that has reached me. If not, I will know."
4. Before they had gone to bed, all the men from every part of the city of Sodom--both young and old--surrounded the house.
5. They called to Lot, "Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us so that we can have sex with them."
6. Lot went outside to meet them and shut the door behind him
7. and said, "No, my friends. Don't do this wicked thing.
Isaiah 3:9 The look on their faces testifies against them; they parade their sin like Sodom; they do not hide it. Woe to them! They have brought disaster upon themselves.
2 Peter 2:13b Their idea of pleasure is to carouse in broad daylight. They are blots and blemishes, reveling in their pleasures while they feast with you.
49. "`Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy.
50. They were haughty and did detestable things before me. Therefore I did away with them as you have seen.
1. But there were also false prophets among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the sovereign Lord who bought them--bringing swift destruction on themselves.
2. Many will follow their shameful ways and will bring the way of truth into disrepute.
3. In their greed these teachers will exploit you with stories they have made up. Their condemnation has long been hanging over them, and their destruction has not been sleeping.
4. For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but sent them to hell, putting them into gloomy dungeons to be held for judgment;
5. if he did not spare the ancient world when he brought the flood on its ungodly people, but protected Noah, a preacher of righteousness, and seven others;
6. if he condemned the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah by burning them to ashes, and made them an example of what is going to happen to the ungodly;
7. and if he rescued Lot, a righteous man, who was distressed by the filthy lives of lawless men
8. (for that righteous man, living among them day after day, was tormented in his righteous soul by the lawless deeds he saw and heard)--
9. if this is so, then the Lord knows how to rescue godly men from trials and to hold the unrighteous for the day of judgment, while continuing their punishment.
10. This is especially true of those who follow the corrupt desire of the sinful nature and despise authority. Bold and arrogant, these men are not afraid to slander celestial beings;
11. yet even angels, although they are stronger and more powerful, do not bring slanderous accusations against such beings in the presence of the Lord.
12. But these men blaspheme in matters they do not understand. They are like brute beasts, creatures of instinct, born only to be caught and destroyed, and like beasts they too will perish.
13. They will be paid back with harm for the harm they have done. Their idea of pleasure is to carouse in broad daylight. They are blots and blemishes, reveling in their pleasures while they feast with you.
But there IS hope!!!
1 Corinthians 6:9-11
9. Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived:
Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders
10. nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.
11. And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.
If you could NOT change, you would be in most pitiful shape...
THE BOOK OF JACOB
THE BROTHER OF NEPHICHAPTER 224 Behold, David and Solomon truly had many wives and concubines, which thing was abominable before me, saith the Lord.
25 Wherefore, thus saith the Lord, I have led this people forth out of the land of Jerusalem, by the power of mine arm, that I might raise up unto me a righteous branch from the fruit of the loins of Joseph.
26 Wherefore, I the Lord God will not suffer that this people shall do like unto them of old.
27 Wherefore, my brethren, hear me, and hearken to the word of the Lord: For there shall not any man among you have save it be one wife; and concubines he shall have none;
28 For I, the Lord God, delight in the chastity of women. And whoredoms are an abomination before me; thus saith the Lord of Hosts.
29 Wherefore, this people shall keep my commandments, saith the Lord of Hosts, or cursed be the land for their sakes.
30 For if I will, saith the Lord of Hosts, raise up seed unto me, I will command my people; otherwise they shall hearken unto these things.
31 For behold, I, the Lord, have seen the sorrow, and heard the mourning of the daughters of my people in the land of Jerusalem, yea, and in all the lands of my people, because of the wickedness and abominations of their husbands.
32 And I will not suffer, saith the Lord of Hosts, that the cries of the fair daughters of this people, which I have led out of the land of Jerusalem, shall come up unto me against the men of my people, saith the Lord of Hosts.
Or even HERE:
1 Timothy 3:2-3
2. Now the overseer must be above reproach, the husband of but one wife, temperate, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach,
3. not given to drunkenness, not violent but gentle, not quarrelsome, not a lover of money.1 Timothy 3:12
A deacon must be the husband of but one wife and must manage his children and his household well.Titus 1:6
An elder must be blameless, the husband of but one wife, a man whose children believe and are not open to the charge of being wild and disobedient.
DOCTRINE AND COVENANTS
OF THE CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST OF LATTER-DAY SAINTSSECTION 1325157, Emma Smith is counseled (commanded) to be faithful and true; 5866, Laws governing the plurality of wives are set forth.51 Verily, I say unto you: A commandment I give unto mine handmaid, Emma Smith, your wife, whom I have given unto you, that she stay herself and partake not of that which I commanded you to offer unto her; for I did it, saith the Lord, to aprove you all, as I did Abraham, and that I might require an offering at your hand, by covenant and sacrifice.52 And let mine handmaid, Emma Smith, areceive all those that have been given unto my servant Joseph, and who are virtuous and pure before me; and those who are not pure, and have said they were pure, shall be destroyed, saith the Lord God.53 For I am the Lord thy God, and ye shall obey my voice; and I give unto my servant Joseph that he shall be made ruler over many things; for he hath been afaithful over a few things, and from henceforth I will strengthen him.55 But if she will not abide this commandment, then shall my servant Joseph do all things for her, even as he hath said; and I will bless him and multiply him and give unto him an ahundredfold in this world, of fathers and mothers, brothers and sisters, houses and lands, wives and children, and crowns of beternal lives in the eternal worlds.
We don't 'care' other than it SHOWS how hypocritical they are.
You are subsituting CHRISTIAN for JEW it appears.
MORMONs 'seem to be' lots of things that they are not.
To Whom It May Concern:
Press dispatches having been sent for political purposes, from Salt Lake City, which have been widely published, to the effect that the Utah Commission, in their recent report to the Secretary of the Interior, allege that plural marriages are still being solemnized and that forty or more such marriages have been contracted in Utah since last June or during the past year, also that in public discourses the leaders of the Church have taught, encouraged and urged the continuance of the practice of polygamy
I, therefore, as President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, do hereby, in the most solemn manner, declare that these charges are false. We are not teaching polygamy or plural marriage, nor permitting any person to enter into its practice, and I deny that either forty or any other number of plural marriages have during that period been solemnized in our Temples or in any other place in the Territory.
One case has been reported, in which the parties allege that the marriage was performed in the Endowment House, in Salt Lake City, in the Spring of 1889, but I have not been able to learn who performed the ceremony; whatever was done in this matter was without my knowledge. In consequence of this alleged occurrence the Endowment House was, by my instructions, taken down without delay.
Inasmuch as laws have been enacted by Congress forbidding plural marriages, which laws have been pronounced constitutional by the court of last resort, I hereby declare my intention to submit to those laws, and to use my influence with the members of the Church over which I preside to have them do likewise.
There is nothing in my teachings to the Church or in those of my associates, during the time specified, which can be reasonably construed to inculcate or encourage polygamy; and when any Elder of the Church has used language which appeared to convey any such teaching, he has been promptly reproved. And I now publicly declare that my advice to the Latter-day Saints is to refrain from contracting any marriage forbidden by the law of the land.
President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
President Lorenzo Snow offered the following:
I move that, recognizing Wilford Woodruff as the President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and the only man on the earth at the present time who holds the keys of the sealing ordinances, we consider him fully authorized by virtue of his position to issue the Manifesto which has been read in our hearing, and which is dated September 24th, 1890, and that as a Church in General Conference assembled, we accept his declaration concerning plural marriages as authoritative and binding.
The vote to sustain the foregoing motion was unanimous.
Salt Lake City, Utah, October 6, 1890.
35. Others were tortured and refused to be released, so that they might gain a better resurrection.
36. Some faced jeers and flogging, while still others were chained and put in prison.
37. They were stoned ; they were sawed in two; they were put to death by the sword. They went about in sheepskins and goatskins, destitute, persecuted and mistreated--
38. the world was not worthy of them. They wandered in deserts and mountains, and in caves and holes in the ground.
~ Wilford Woodruff, 4th LDS President
Leave such things to the leftwingtards and moslems.
Note to all: These Book of Mormon verses forbidding men to have more than one wife were there in 1830...and NONE of these verses stopped THOUSANDS of Mormons from becoming polygamists, now did they?
Titus 1: 6
If any be blameless, the husband of one wife, having faithful children not accused of riot or unruly.
For a bishop must be blameless, as the steward of God; not selfwilled, not soon angry, not given to wine, no striker, not given to filthy lucre;
But a lover of hospitality, a lover of good men, sober, just, holy, temperate;
Holding fast the faithful word as he hath been taught, that he may be able by sound doctrine both to exhort and to convince the gainsayers .
But of course if you believe as the Mormons do, that men are appointed to be elders then maybe you do not have as much as you think to be opposed to the Mormon church.
And in answer to one of your other many comments.
In fact the Jews or the people that were called Jews who believed Jesus was the Messiah was Jesus,s helpers in the founding of the Christian Church.
The Church was not set up to rule the world, it was set up to preach the message that Jesus brought us.
I only have two points in getting involved in these comments #1 is not that i believe in the Mormon Church because i don,t and i have been around Mormons all of my life, I think it is a fraud, the other reason is that i believe it is political put on by another religion that is just as much fraud.
And why behold the mote that is in thy brother’s eye, but consider not the beam that is in thine own eye?
Or how will thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?
Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother’s eye.
And of course i am not accusing any one personally of having a beam in their eye, if i were then i would have to put myself at the top of the list, how ever people need to learn the difference between religion and the real reason why Jesus was sent to this world.
Read the words of Jesus, that is what the Gospel is and the only reason for the Churches.
In an era where one-man, one-woman marriage is under attack -- where monogamy is under attack by homosexuals -- Do you really have to ask why it's necessary to defend monogamy vs...
...no bag-limit-on-mail-order "brides?"
Are you telling us you favor current Islamic and current fundamentalist Mormon polygamy with this Q of yours? (Both rape girls...Islam as young as 10...fLds as young as 13-14...And 19th century Mormonism did the same thing...
As the statement goes...
..."As fLDS now are, LDS once were. As fLDS now are, LDS may become."
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.