Great distortion of what Paul was saying. Check to see if “we” measure up? Why must the world always place works with grace.
Let me see if I have this straight. Christ died to allow us to prove ourselves worthy through testing?
posted on 01/15/2013 7:50:16 PM PST
I think MacArthur is interpreting Paul in exactly the right way.
Paul says "2 Cor 13:5 (NASB) "TEST YOURSELVES to see if you are IN the FAITH; EXAMINE YOURSELVES! Or do you NOT recognize this about yourselves, that JESUS CHRIST is in youunless indeed you FAIL the TEST?"
Jesus spoke of tares sown with the wheat.
Also, He said in Matthe 7:21Not everyone who says to Me, Lord, Lord, will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter.22Many will say to Me on that day, Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?23And then I will declare to them, I never knew you; DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.
posted on 01/15/2013 7:58:13 PM PST
(Retired Army Chaplain and Proud of It! True supporters of our troops pray for their victory!)
Any such self-evaluation will be self-serving and pointless. Much better to rest our case on the testimony of Ephesians 2:8-9, and of course John 3:16.
The world (human beings) has great difficulty accepting God’s gift, preferring to rely on our own personal, self-annointed goodness. Confessing that we all are sinners in need of confession and redemption is so “demeaning.”
posted on 01/15/2013 9:57:36 PM PST
To: Joshua; xzins
One should not mix up
- WHAT saves us (which is God's grace alone as carried out through Christ's sacrifice -- nothing else could save us),
- our "deservedness" to be saved -- and that is 0, none of us, no matter how close we keep to Christ's model and live a sinless life, we still do not "deserve" to be saved
- Christ's deemed process for us to accept his freely given salvation
Note that Christ Himself said
- "he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved"(Matt. 24:13) and
- "Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
35For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
36Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me" (Matt 25:31-46) and
- "He who believes and is baptized will be saved." (Mk 16:16) and
- "[U]nless you repent you will all likewise perish." (Lk 13:3) and " [H]e who eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day." (Jn 6:54)
posted on 01/16/2013 4:20:12 AM PST
(Middle English prest, priest, Old English pruost, Late Latin presbyter, Latin presbuteros)
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson