Free Republic
Browse · Search
Religion
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

As he abdicated,Pope announced canonisation of 800 martyrs slaughtered by Muslim troops
Catholic Church Conservation ^ | 27/2/2013 | Chris Gillibrand

Posted on 02/27/2013 1:28:39 PM PST by Gillibrand

On Monday, 11 February in Rome the canonization was announced of 800 Christians took place who suffered martyrdom in the 15th Century in Otranto. The elevation to the altars is to be made in the context of an ordinary consistory of the College of Cardinals which was convened by Pope Benedict XVI.

The canonization concerned Antonio Primaldo and his 800 companions. The Christian inhabitants of the town of Otranto in Apulia, in southern Italy were victims of a bloodbath by Ottoman troops during a raid on 29 July 1480. They killed more than 800 fishermen, craftsmen, farmers, merchants, peasants simply because of their faith.

A Turkish fleet appeared off the coast of Puglia in 1480

(Excerpt) Read more at cathcon.blogspot.com ...


TOPICS: Catholic; History; Islam; Religion & Culture
KEYWORDS: 1480; 148007; 14800729; alfredomantovano; antonioprimaldo; catholic; constantinople; crusades; imperialists; italy; jihad; kingofnaples; massacre; otranto; pope; puglia; saints; sultanmohammedii; turkey; waronterror
Extraordinary story of suffering
1 posted on 02/27/2013 1:28:49 PM PST by Gillibrand
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: Gillibrand

MUSLIMS WILL BE OUTRAGED!!!!


2 posted on 02/27/2013 1:30:30 PM PST by massgopguy (I owe everything to George Bailey)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Gillibrand

MUSLIMS WILL BE OUTRAGED!!!!


3 posted on 02/27/2013 1:31:27 PM PST by massgopguy (I owe everything to George Bailey)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Gillibrand

How dare you accuse the headchoppers of murder! They are just poor oppressed misunderstood innocent people! And to prove it, they are going to riot in the streets and kill a few Christians chosen at random.
Take that for saying that the religion of peace kills innocent Christians!


4 posted on 02/27/2013 1:48:11 PM PST by I want the USA back
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Gillibrand
He ought to put all the Christians dying now at the hands of Muslin extremists on the list to be canonized.
5 posted on 02/27/2013 2:10:37 PM PST by FR_addict
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Gillibrand

What about the @2 million christians the Turks murdered mostly in horrible ways in Armenia and Turkey..
Many were not Roman Catholic true, but some were..
Must be a card carrying RCC to be a “Saint” obviously..

at least the carnage could be recognized..


6 posted on 02/27/2013 2:25:15 PM PST by hosepipe (This propaganda has been edited to include some fully orbed hyperbole..)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Gillibrand

Resigned not abdicated.

Big difference.


7 posted on 02/27/2013 2:54:26 PM PST by Salvation ("With God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Gillibrand
Pope announced canonisation of 800 martyrs slaughtered by Muslim troops
FATHER BARRON TO REPORT ON PAPAL ABDICATION (NBC & MSNBC)
Some distinctly non-canonical musings on the status of an ex-pope
Benedict’s Men: U.S. Vocations Strengthen During His Eight-Year Papacy
Pope has 'cleaned up the episcopate,' nuncio says

Benedict XVI's Final General Audience
Pope confident God will guide Church in days ahead (150,000 fill St. Peter's Square)
Pope Recalls "Joy" Of Papacy, And Difficulties
The Papacy and the 'Gay Mafia'
Pope Benedict's new name revealed
Pope Benedict chooses his new wardrobe
Call Me the Optimist – A Meditation on Recent Reports of Crisis and Conclave
Young, new Philippine cardinal has extensive international ties
Cardinal Keith O’Brien resigns, will not go to conclave
Benedict XVI’s new Motu Proprio about the Conclave (date regulations officially changed)

The 'strictest' secrecy: a look at how conclaves work
Pope will change rule for conclave date tomorrow [today]
Pope Benedict says he is not 'abandoning the Church' (tens of thousands fill square)
Communiqué of the Secretariat of State on the upcoming Conclave
Ratzinger's forgotten prophesy (sic) on the future of the Church
Homosexual Network at the Vatican, Yes; Reason for the Pope's Resignation, No
Castel Gandolfo prepares to receive first retired Pope
Vatican slams media for trying to influence papal vote
In Defense of the Papacy: 9 Reasons True Christians Follow the Pope
The Church Doesn't Need a Revolution

The Reason Benedict Resigned [Catholic Caucus]
At B16's Window, A Big "Thank You"... While Behind the Walls, The "Showcase" Begins
Prayers for Our Holy Father Benedict XVI and the Papal Conclave
Pope still extremely Catholic (A look at how media cover Catholicism [and the Pope])
Conclave to silence at least nine tweeting cardinals
Pope Benedict's resignation and the mystery of the missing encyclical
Benedict, Dawkins, and the Fullness of Reason
Benedict XVI: Vatican II as I saw it
Benedict’s renunciation and the wolves within the church
The Left Lobbies for a Liberal Successor to Benedict (and here is why)

Pope Benedict's Future Residence
SCOTT HAHN: Pope Benedict had a profound effect on this former Presbyterian minister
Is the Next Pope the One From John Bosco’s Dream? (Patrick Madrid offers an intriguing twist)
"Re-Elect Pope Benedict" - “Eight more years!”
Who can be elected pope?
The Legacy of Pope Benedict XVI: A commentary by Fr. Barron
More details on papal resignation, conclave (Vatican Press Office)
Church doesn't bend, but endures
Who Will Take Up the Keys of Peter (This is a MUST READ!)
Conclave & The Media: The Silly Season

Cardinal Bertone's Farewell Address to the Holy Father
"Thank You – Let Us Return to Prayer": For the Last Time, The Pope Leaves the Altar
"Today, We Begin A New Journey" – Liturgically Speaking, B16's Last Word
Vatican releases schedule for Pope's final days
Benedict XVI: Reason’s Revolutionary
Some Interesting Tidbits From Today’s Vatican press conference
Pope Decided to Resign After Cuba Trip, Vatican Advisor Says
Pope Says He's Resigning for the 'Good of Church'
Watch for the Anti-Catholics To Weigh in on the Papal Succession
The challenge Pope Benedict has left for his successor—and for ordinary Catholics

Historian Notes Precedents for Papal Resignation
US Will Have Unprecedented Voice In Electing New Pope
Pope Benedict’s Resignation and St. Corbinian’s Bear
Pope Benedict XVI’s Musical Legacy
Benedict announces resignation and lightning strikes
DHS's curiosity piqued over Pope Benedict XVI's retirement and Catholic Prophecy
Prayers for Pope Benedict XVI
Pope Benedict's Devotion to Saint Celestine Signaled His Resignation from the Papacy
Cardinal Sodano to Pope Benedict: “We have heard you with a sense of loss and almost disbelief”
Pope's resignation invokes sadness, gratitude from US bishops

Pope cites waning strength as reason for resignation
Report: Brother Says Pope Was Considering Resignation for Months
Some Notes About the Upcoming Conclave
An Evangelical Looks at Pope Benedict XVI
Pope Benedict’s Resignation in Historical Context
Virtually unprecedented: papal resignation throughout history
Pope Benedict XVI:a papal timeline
"I declare that I renounce the ministry of Bishop of Rome" [Full Text]
Pope Benedict's Address on Resignation of the See of Rome
POPE BENEDICT XVI WILL RESIGN AT THE END OF THIS MONTH, VATICAN PRESS OFFICE TELLS FOX NEWS

8 posted on 02/27/2013 2:56:43 PM PST by Salvation ("With God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: hosepipe

Hosepipe,

A person has to be Catholic to be canonized by the Catholic Church. Let the Armenian Church canonize (or acclaim) the Armenians victims of Turkish massacres. It’s up to them. I would not be surprised if they already have done that either.

For the Catholics murdered by the Turks, we’ll take care of our own: http://www.catholic-forum.com/saints/martyr04.htm


9 posted on 02/27/2013 3:02:36 PM PST by vladimir998
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

To: vladimir998

Russian Orthodox Church has canonized victims of islamic Terror so too should all Christians—Our brothers in the Coptic Church are being sent into martyrdom as we speak and the world does NOTING! Egyptian Christians are being burned alive and nailed to crosses. It is as if Nero was reincarnated by the Moslem Brotherhood to attempt to stamp out the Church of Christ. And we do NOTING but send aid to the oppressors. God will visit his judgement upon the USA for these acts—as a government and as we are a Republic, we the people will suffer. Pray for God’s mercy, for he will have no mercy for those who slay his people.


10 posted on 02/27/2013 3:35:16 PM PST by Forward the Light Brigade (Into the Jaws of H*ll)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

To: vladimir998

A person has to be Catholic to be canonized by the Catholic Church.


Why?..


11 posted on 02/27/2013 3:52:34 PM PST by hosepipe (This propaganda has been edited to include some fully orbed hyperbole..)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

To: hosepipe

What religion are you???


12 posted on 02/27/2013 4:08:54 PM PST by Ann Archy (ABORTION........the HUMAN sacrifice to the god of CONVENIENCE.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

To: Ann Archy

What religion are you???


Why?... whats your point?..


13 posted on 02/27/2013 4:22:33 PM PST by hosepipe (This propaganda has been edited to include some fully orbed hyperbole..)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

To: hosepipe

You wrote:

“Why?..”

Because the Church can’t conduct a canonization process for someone outside the Church.


14 posted on 02/27/2013 4:57:40 PM PST by vladimir998
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

To: Ann Archy; hosepipe

Oh, here we go again. What does it matter - for the purposes of this thread - what his religion is?


15 posted on 02/27/2013 5:00:07 PM PST by vladimir998
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

To: vladimir998

Because the Church can’t conduct a canonization process for someone outside the Church.


same question WHY?...
you seem to be in a loop... if not.. answer the question..


16 posted on 02/27/2013 6:07:50 PM PST by hosepipe (This propaganda has been edited to include some fully orbed hyperbole..)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

To: hosepipe

You wrote:

“same question WHY?...”

Because the canonization process cannot be used for non-Catholics.

“you seem to be in a loop... if not.. answer the question..”

I did. The Catholic Church cannot give sacraments to non-Catholics (except in very rare circumstances). The Catholic Church doesn’t beatify non-Catholics. The Catholic Church doesn’t canonize non-Catholics. Those things are for Catholics only. They aren’t open to non-Catholics. There is no process to canonize a non-Catholic and to even attempt it would make no sense because of what canonization is.


17 posted on 02/27/2013 6:21:56 PM PST by vladimir998
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 16 | View Replies]

To: hosepipe

I believe the loop is your, hosepipe.

Nonetheless, I am encouraged by your first step toward the Catholic Church and your desire for The Church, to recognize saintly Christians.

The Glory to Jesus Christ.


18 posted on 02/27/2013 6:22:44 PM PST by rbmillerjr (We have No Opposition to Obama's Socialist Agenda)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 16 | View Replies]

To: hosepipe; FR_addict
There is a set process for approving someone for sainthood.(Canonization)

Saints [Catholic, Orthodox, Open]
SAINTHOOD 101: Rules for Becoming a Saint [Catholic Caucus]
The Process of Becoming a Saint (Canonization) [Catholic Caucus]
Pope Lists Criteria for Causes of Canonization

19 posted on 02/27/2013 6:28:58 PM PST by Salvation ("With God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

To: Gillibrand
No blog hits from me over this, but if you could post a listing of works sourced in assemblage, it might stir the interest of a larger audience.
20 posted on 02/27/2013 7:13:53 PM PST by BlueDragon
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: vladimir998

I did. The Catholic Church cannot give sacraments to non-Catholics (except in very rare circumstances). The Catholic Church doesn’t beatify non-Catholics. The Catholic Church doesn’t canonize non-Catholics. Those things are for Catholics only. They aren’t open to non-Catholics. There is no process to canonize a non-Catholic and to even attempt it would make no sense because of what canonization is.


No you did NOT.. WHY is this so.. Why can only roman catholic’s be canonized.. by the roman catholic church?..

I did NOT ask you why roman catholics were canonized I asked WHY ONLY roman catholics were canonized.. and you replied with “SPIN”.. totally ignored my question.. You seem to be acting suspicious in this matter.. Afraid of “the ANSWER” maybe.. Conflating the question looks bad.. obfuscation does not work with me..

Me giving you the benefit of the doubt expects a simple straight forward answer.. If you are not afraid!... If you are afraid, just say that, and I’ll drop it..


21 posted on 02/27/2013 7:54:43 PM PST by hosepipe (This propaganda has been edited to include some fully orbed hyperbole..)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 17 | View Replies]

To: hosepipe

Why are you ashamed of your religion that you won’t even SAY it?? OMG!!! I AM A CATHOLIC......see....it’s not hard and I have NEVER DENIED MY RELIGION, so why do you?? I don’t get it.


22 posted on 02/28/2013 1:10:59 AM PST by Ann Archy (ABORTION........the HUMAN sacrifice to the god of CONVENIENCE.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

To: Gillibrand

Good article.


23 posted on 02/28/2013 4:08:58 AM PST by Biggirl ("Jesus talked to us as individuals"-Jim Vicevich/Thanks JimV!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: hosepipe

You wrote:

“No you did NOT.. WHY is this so.. Why can only roman catholic’s be canonized.. by the roman catholic church?..”

I did: “There is no process to canonize a non-Catholic and to even attempt it would make no sense because of what canonization is.”

“I did NOT ask you why roman catholics were canonized”

Nor did I give you an answer to a question you never asked.

“I asked WHY ONLY roman catholics were canonized..”

Again, “There is no process to canonize a non-Catholic and to even attempt it would make no sense because of what canonization is.”

“and you replied with “SPIN”..”

Again, “There is no process to canonize a non-Catholic and to even attempt it would make no sense because of what canonization is.” That’s not spin. It’s just the truth.

“totally ignored my question..”

Again, “There is no process to canonize a non-Catholic and to even attempt it would make no sense because of what canonization is.” I clearly did not ignore your question. Why do anti-Catholics always make things up?

“You seem to be acting suspicious in this matter.. Afraid of “the ANSWER” maybe.. Conflating the question looks bad.. obfuscation does not work with me..”

What? What twilight world do you live in? Again, “There is no process to canonize a non-Catholic and to even attempt it would make no sense because of what canonization is.”

“Me giving you the benefit of the doubt expects a simple straight forward answer..”

Can’t get much more simple and straight forward than this: “There is no process to canonize a non-Catholic and to even attempt it would make no sense because of what canonization is.”

“If you are not afraid!... If you are afraid, just say that, and I’ll drop it..”

Again, “There is no process to canonize a non-Catholic and to even attempt it would make no sense because of what canonization is.”

Now, if you are not afraid!... If you are afraid, it doesn’t matter. Your question was answered.


24 posted on 02/28/2013 5:12:32 AM PST by vladimir998
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 21 | View Replies]

To: hosepipe

Think of it this way...
I am not Mormon, yet some Mormons would “baptize” me into their church after my death. I am not Mormon because I choose to not be Mormon, and I damn well resent being “baptized” into a church I chose not to join during my lifetime.
If one was not Catholic during their lifetime, it could be supposed it was because they chose to not join the Catholic church. Canonizing them after their death, when during their lifetime they chose to not be Catholic would be a bit like “baptizing” them into the Mormon church when during their lifetime they chose to not be Mormon.
We canonize our own because our own chose to be Catholic and, therefore, gave implied permission to canonize them. Canonizing someone who, during their lifetime, chose to not be Catholic and, therefore, did not give the Church permission, implied or otherwise, to canonize them, would be a bit of an insult.


25 posted on 02/28/2013 6:47:01 AM PST by Excellence (9/11 was an act of faith.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

To: vladimir998

Again, “There is no process to canonize a non-Catholic and to even attempt it would make no sense because of what canonization is.”


I understand.. did the first time.. but .. WHY.?..
WHY... is a simple concept.. to most.. but not to you..
Is canonization merely “hero worship”?... WHY? only roman catholics?


26 posted on 02/28/2013 2:00:46 PM PST by hosepipe (This propaganda has been edited to include some fully orbed hyperbole..)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 24 | View Replies]

To: Excellence

We canonize our own because our own chose to be Catholic and, therefore, gave implied permission to canonize them. Canonizing someone who, during their lifetime, chose to not be Catholic and, therefore, did not give the Church permission, implied or otherwise, to canonize them, would be a bit of an insult.


I see.. well at least thats an answer.. not “spin”.. I respect honest answers.. I believe this answer is specious.. but an honest answer from your point of view..

MAybe other types of christians are “bastards” spiritually or metaphorically or in reality.. according to this concept.. Could be noticed in this way.. True I have a problem understanding the logic of roman catholic canonization.. Does not seem beneficial to roman catholics themselves as I see it.. looking from “afar”... as I do..

Thanks for an honest open answer.. I honor your “belief”..
as a point view.. We need not agree on everything to be friends.. or even “brothers”..


27 posted on 02/28/2013 2:16:53 PM PST by hosepipe (This propaganda has been edited to include some fully orbed hyperbole..)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 25 | View Replies]

To: hosepipe

You wrote:

“I understand.. did the first time.. but .. WHY.?..”

I can’t actually believe that you do not understand the why of that. So, I can only continue this conversation if you answer the following question: “Why would Catholics even try to canonize non-Catholics?”

“WHY... is a simple concept.. to most.. but not to you..”

No, it’s simple to me too. Apparently it isn’t simple to you. Catholics can only canonize Catholics. Presbyterians only ordain other Presbyterians as ministers. Anglicans only have other Anglicans as bishops. Isn’t it obvious why?

“Is canonization merely “hero worship”?...”

No.

“WHY? only roman catholics?”

Because those are the only ones who can be canonized by Catholics or would be canonized by Catholics.


28 posted on 02/28/2013 8:28:13 PM PST by vladimir998
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 26 | View Replies]

To: vladimir998

“Why would Catholics even try to canonize non-Catholics?”


Good question... because some roman catholics are heretics and some non roman catholics are not..
and there are many other reasons as well..


29 posted on 02/28/2013 10:11:20 PM PST by hosepipe (This propaganda has been edited to include some fully orbed hyperbole..)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 28 | View Replies]

To: hosepipe

You wrote:

“Good question... because some roman catholics are heretics and some non roman catholics are not..”

Effectively, no. No Catholic up for canonization is a heretic (this, by the way, includes Catholics who are not Roman Rite since you seem fixated on using the term “roman catholics”). All non-Catholics believe in some heresy.

“and there are many other reasons as well..”

But you are apparently unable to see the real reasons - as demonstrated by you in your last post to me.


30 posted on 03/01/2013 4:41:58 AM PST by vladimir998
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 29 | View Replies]

To: vladimir998

All non-Catholics believe in some heresy.


There ya go.. a little honesty.. So thats why a non roman catholic could never be a “saint”..

This is, of course, bull shards.. but rare honesty from a roman catholic.. I’m honored.. Thanks..


31 posted on 03/01/2013 10:35:28 AM PST by hosepipe (This propaganda has been edited to include some fully orbed hyperbole..)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 30 | View Replies]

To: hosepipe

You wrote:

“There ya go.. a little honesty.. So thats why a non roman catholic could never be a “saint”..”

Actually, no. That is not the reason. I already stated the reason - many times now in fact.

“This is, of course, bull shards.. but rare honesty from a roman catholic.. I’m honored.. Thanks..”

Actually Catholics here seem to be honest with you all the time. The problem is not theirs. Also, it is not “bull shards”. Any latter-day, new fangled group must be heretical to some extent. Also, the Catholics in question do not have to be Roman. Perhaps, like other anti-Catholics you’re simply too ignorant to know that.


32 posted on 03/01/2013 11:20:48 AM PST by vladimir998
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 31 | View Replies]

To: vladimir998

Also, the Catholics in question do not have to be Roman. Perhaps, like other anti-Catholics you’re simply too ignorant to know that.


I am not anti-catholic just not pro-catholic.. the difference is palpable..
Not pro roman, eastern or russian or any other type of catholic..
I’m also not pro so-called protestant(many are catholic as well).. the difference to me is minor..

My God seems to be larger than yours.. which is OK with me..
No reason you cannot have a little bitty God.. at least you have one..
The atheists have a little bitty God too.. God bless them..

And the Mormons and Buddists, and even the muslims..
I’m not here to slam anybody’s God.. there be so many on this planet..

Designer God’s is a very current fad... but its always been that way..
Try talking to a JW or Mormon.. or even many Jews.. they will refuse to get out of their God box..

Not all roman catholics are that way.. BUT.. most are..
They are right exactly where they need to be..
I support their choices..


33 posted on 03/01/2013 12:36:06 PM PST by hosepipe (This propaganda has been edited to include some fully orbed hyperbole..)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 32 | View Replies]

Comment #34 Removed by Moderator

Comment #35 Removed by Moderator

Comment #36 Removed by Moderator

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
Religion
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson