Skip to comments.Golfer Bubba Watson Respects Jason Collins but Believes 'Being Gay Is Sin'
Posted on 05/05/2013 8:54:18 AM PDT by SeekAndFind
Golfer Bubba Watson said he supported Christian ESPN analyst Chris Broussard's statement that NBA player Jason Collins' announcement about being gay is open rebellion against God. At the same time, he respects "anybody that's gay" while believing that homosexuality is a sin according to the Bible.
"The Bible says you're not supposed to be gay, and so I never downed Jason," Watson told Golfweek, referring to his tweet this week, which said "Thanks @Chris_Broussard for sharing your faith & the bible!! #GodIsGood."
During a segment on "Outside the Lines," Broussard said Tuesday that as a Christian he does not agree with homosexuality and that Collins, who came out as a gay man, is "walking in open rebellion to God and Jesus Christ" by being gay.
Watson commented, "I've met Jason, said, 'Hey,' to him, because he used to play for the Suns when I had the Suns tickets. I respect anybody that's gay."
The golfer added that he did not intend to say he is better than others. "I'm not saying I'm better than anybody else," he said. "I'm not saying he's wrong, I'm saying I love him. If he called me right now and said, 'Hey,' or any person that was gay called me, I'd go to dinner with them any time. It's just my belief system on the Bible says you can't be gay. That's a sin. So somebody living in sin I believe to be wrong."
The Bible, Watson went on to say, tells "how to act, and I try to act that way. Now, I don't do it every time. We've seen me get mad before. I do wrong, too. Every time I hit a bad shot I'm pretty mad about it."
Renowned theologian John Piper had also lauded Broussard, calling his comments "solid steel."
In a tweet directing his fans to the link on Broussard's commentary, Piper, former pastor of Bethlehem Baptist Church in Minnesota, wrote: "Chris Broussard. This is solid steel in a world of cattails."
Other high-profile figures like Republican Herman Cain also tweeted support for the Christian sports analyst. "So much for free speech RT@CainTV Chris Broussard is gonna get it for applying the Bible to Jason Collins," noted Cain.
Collins, currently a free agent, announced he is gay in a Sports Illustrated article Monday and also spoke of his Christian faith.
"My parents instilled Christian values in me," wrote Collins. "They taught Sunday school, and I enjoyed lending a hand. I take the teachings of Jesus seriously, particularly the ones that touch on tolerance and understanding."
When Broussard, who also confesses the Christian faith, was asked how he felt about Collins' claim, he said his actions were not consistent with biblical teachings.
"Personally, I don't believe that you can live an openly homosexual lifestyle or an openly, like premarital sex between heterosexuals. If you are living that type of lifestyle, the Bible says you know them by their fruits, it says that's a sin," said Broussard. "If you're openly living in unrepentant sin, whatever it may be, not just homosexuality, whatever it maybe, I believe that's walking in open rebellion to God and to Jesus Christ."
In a follow-up statement to his comments, Broussard further noted: "Today on OTL, as part of a larger, wide-ranging discussion on today's news, I offered my personal opinion as it relates to Christianity, a point of view that I have expressed publicly before. I realize that some people disagree with my opinion and I accept and respect that. As has been the case in the past, my beliefs have not and will not impact my ability to report on the NBA. I believe Jason Collins displayed bravery with his announcement today and I have no objection to him or anyone else playing in the NBA."
Well, he’s clearly just a hater. (Do I need the /s tag?)
Happy to agree with Bubba, I just wish he had a different name......
Will be used to liberal advantage.
He’s toast —
Well now, Bubba is adorable AND brave!
RE: I just wish he had a different name......
His real name is ; Gerry Lester “Bubba” Watson, Jr. (born November 5, 1978). Born and raised in Bagdad, Florida, near Pensacola.
Background from Wikipedia:
One of the few left-handed golfers on tour, he is a major champion, the winner of the Masters Tournament in 2012.
Among the longest drivers on the PGA Tour, in 2007 he had an average drive of 315.2 yards (288.2 m) and can hit a ball over 350 yards (320 m), capable of generating a ball speed up to 194 mph (312 km/h).
Watson won the 2012 Masters Tournament after defeating Louis Oosthuizen on the second sudden death playoff hole.
The win elevated Watson to a career-high fourth place in the Official World Golf Ranking.
Watson is a committed Christian, speaks openly about the importance of faith in his life, and devotes much of his money and time to charity.
I respect a lot of people for a lot of reasons, though being gay is not one of them.
Homosexuality is perverted and an “abomination” to God, who made man in His image...in His likeness.
God made everything ‘Good’....man changes that goodness to something else altogether, then redefines it.
Just WHERE would a thinking person EVER get a crazy idea like this??
20. Then the LORD said, "The outcry against Sodom and Gomorrah is so great and their sin so grievous
21. that I will go down and see if what they have done is as bad as the outcry that has reached me. If not, I will know."
4. Before they had gone to bed, all the men from every part of the city of Sodom--both young and old--surrounded the house.
5. They called to Lot, "Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us so that we can have sex with them."
6. Lot went outside to meet them and shut the door behind him
7. and said, "No, my friends. Don't do this wicked thing.
Isaiah 3:9 The look on their faces testifies against them; they parade their sin like Sodom; they do not hide it. Woe to them! They have brought disaster upon themselves.
2 Peter 2:13b Their idea of pleasure is to carouse in broad daylight. They are blots and blemishes, reveling in their pleasures while they feast with you.
49. "`Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy.
50. They were haughty and did detestable things before me. Therefore I did away with them as you have seen.
1. But there were also false prophets among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the sovereign Lord who bought them--bringing swift destruction on themselves.
2. Many will follow their shameful ways and will bring the way of truth into disrepute.
3. In their greed these teachers will exploit you with stories they have made up. Their condemnation has long been hanging over them, and their destruction has not been sleeping.
4. For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but sent them to hell, putting them into gloomy dungeons to be held for judgment;
5. if he did not spare the ancient world when he brought the flood on its ungodly people, but protected Noah, a preacher of righteousness, and seven others;
6. if he condemned the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah by burning them to ashes, and made them an example of what is going to happen to the ungodly;
7. and if he rescued Lot, a righteous man, who was distressed by the filthy lives of lawless men
8. (for that righteous man, living among them day after day, was tormented in his righteous soul by the lawless deeds he saw and heard)--
9. if this is so, then the Lord knows how to rescue godly men from trials and to hold the unrighteous for the day of judgment, while continuing their punishment.
10. This is especially true of those who follow the corrupt desire of the sinful nature and despise authority. Bold and arrogant, these men are not afraid to slander celestial beings;
11. yet even angels, although they are stronger and more powerful, do not bring slanderous accusations against such beings in the presence of the Lord.
12. But these men blaspheme in matters they do not understand. They are like brute beasts, creatures of instinct, born only to be caught and destroyed, and like beasts they too will perish.
13. They will be paid back with harm for the harm they have done. Their idea of pleasure is to carouse in broad daylight. They are blots and blemishes, reveling in their pleasures while they feast with you.
But there IS hope!!!
1 Corinthians 6:9-11
9. Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived:
Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders
10. nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.
11. And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.
If you could NOT change, you would be in most pitiful shape...
he lied to the woman who is/was his fiancee
sounds like fraud
he was a terrible player who wanted to become a celebrity
why would anyone respect this guy?
Being homosexual is not the sin; acting on it is.
HOMOSEXUAL, because there’s nothing GAY about it.
Maybe you can help me... or somebody who reads this post can...
How did Homosexuals get to be called — GAY?
We used to use that word without any sexual connotation. Now, Young people only understand the word ONE WAY.
Remember the Fred Astaire movie : THE GAY DIVORCE?
Or remember what we usually sing in Christmas?
DON WE NOW OUR GAY APPAREL FA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA?
Now people just give a malicious wink when they see or hear these...
It’s not exactly breaking news that most Christians believe homosexuality is a sin. Why do people get all huffy when this is pointed out?
Because the Homosexual lobby don’t simply want tolerance, they want ACCEPTANCE AND CELEBRATION of their lifestyle.
I think Bubba’s saying that he respects him even though he’s gsy, not because he’s gay. Those are two entirely different things.
He will be written off by the media as an ignorant redneck...