Skip to comments.America's Defeat in Iraq
Posted on 09/01/2010 3:21:17 PM PDT by Zanton
It was called Operation Iraqi Freedom but it should have been called Operation Iraqi Self-Rule. "Autonomy" and "self-rule" are the political values which largely dominate the US and the world. Certainly more so than "democracy." And almost infinitely more so than "liberty."
After over 7 years, $700 billion, and 4000 killed, a fairly-bad, socialist, shariaist dictatorship (headed by Saddam) was replaced by a moderately superior one (headed by Maliki). Was this death-agony of effort worth it? Did this unending exercise in nation-building and self-sacrifice profit us?
Consider all the resultant violations of civil liberties at home, and support for friendly dictatorships abroad -- all the torture and detention without charge -- involved in our "war on terror." Consider all the hatred the world has now for "the American way" and capitalism and individual liberty.
After George Bush's admittedly-successful military Surge, does America and the world have more freedom and hope -- or less?
Saddam era was not even Shariah law.
That should be sweet!
You’re a little late.
You and Sandrat above both say “IBTL.” Sounds impressive — but what does it mean??
Why do you say that?
In Before The ZOT
I have the same problem with Bush's policy, but to be fair, the treasonous democrats made it politically impossible to take any sort of aggressive actions against iran. In fact, I bet if he had taken any sort of military action, the bastards would have moved to cut military appropriations.
Read his Profile he’s a Troll
Perhaps. But the West couldn’t really deal with Saddam and his sons any longer. Haven’t you thought about what things would be like if Iraq was still under Saddam circa 2010? By now, he would had restarted his weapons program. Even if Obama wasn’t our President, it was inevitable that we’ll have another President just like Jimmy Carter and Saddam would had taken advantage of his indecisive leadership.
That should be sweet!"
Strategic blunder is right! Why empower the somewhat inferior and less freedom-loving Shi'ites?
But the MAIN strategic blunder is, after victory, why not set up a fairly libertarian state, like Germany and Japan, after WWII? These guys are still our hard-core friends after 65 years!
you are soooo right.
“Liberal libertarian??? “WTF?
Just pops up with this drivel...thanks for the pre-Viking Kitty alert!!!
Here is Zotten’s little autobiography, it’s quite interesting. I wonder what’s “beyond” being an Objectivist? (not sure what “objectivist” is, someone who looks at other people like Objects?) Thinks if everyone was one of these, there would be a “social paradise”. Pretty funny.
Im a classical liberal, libertarian, Objectivist, and beyond. Im also an intellectually fearless free-thinker and truth-seeker. I believe in aiming at individual happiness and personal greatness above all else. I also think life is a wonderous gift to be Enjoyed and Celebrated at all times! :-)
My fundamental viewpoint about pretty much everything can be described as “pure liberalism.” This philosophy is based upon the best and truest of the traditional liberal cultures of Greece, Rome, Europe, and America (all sadly defunct). It’s also based upon the best and truest of the avant-garde theories of Austrian economics, libertarian politics, and Objectivist philosophy.
This New Liberalism, as I teach it, is the general philosophy, or the family of philosophies, which is essentially based upon:
(1) the epistemology of reason, rationality, logic, and science;
(2) the metaphysics of physicality, mathematics, physics, mechanics, materialism, and empiricism;
(3) the personal ethics of individualism, self-interest, and private happiness;
(4) the social ethics of non-tyranny, non-criminality, honesty, compassion, comradship, and social utopia;
(5) the domestic politics of: freedom, justice, and individual rights; of life, liberty, property, and privacy; of security, safety, free will, and persuit of happiness;
(6) the foreign policy of: libertarianism, free exchange, minimal aid, isolationism, non-interference and yet rescue and liberation, peace and yet justice; of non-appeasement, non-collaboration, non-diplomatic recognition, and non-moral sanction of foreign tyranny;
(7) the economics of capitalism, free enterprise, free trade, and laissez-faire;
(8) the sociology of the brotherhood of man, empathy, live-and-let-live, non-fraud, and frank directness;
(9) the esthetics of vivacity, dynamism, and heroism;
(10) the spirituality of the sublime, transcendent, infinite, and great.
Understanding and practicing these liberal values is the key to social paradise and personal joy — to the good life for all.
Check me out at www.youtube.com/ClassicalLiberalFire!
Summon the Viking Kitties!!!!!
I don't gather that from this post, his profile, or his posting history.
Now, if you just read the title of this thread, you might jump to a conclusion.
You don’t even know history, You Maroon!
we conquered and OCCUPIED germany and japan!
Germany and Japan...Libertarian? You don’t even know what Libertarian is!!
Read reply #16 he copied the Troll’s profile to the reply.