Skip to comments.Dog Owners Warned Over Sugar-Free Items
Posted on 10/01/2006 3:08:40 PM PDT by KJC1
NEW YORK (Sept. 30) - Keep those sugarless treats out of Fido's reach. Veterinarians warned on Friday that a commonly used sweetener might cause liver failure in dogs, and perhaps even kill them.
Their report in the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association appears to strengthen the suspected link between the sugar substitute xylitol, thought to make dogs sick, and possible liver failure.
Xylitol, a naturally occurring product, is found in many sugar-free chewing gums, candies, baked goods and toothpastes.
Researchers Sharon Gwaltney-Brant and Eric Dunayer with staff at a poison unit of the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals in Urbana, Illinois, gathered information on eight dogs treated between 2003 and 2005 after eating products containing xylitol.
Each dog became ill, and five died or had to be put down because of liver failure, possibly from ingesting xylitol.
(Excerpt) Read more at articles.news.aol.com ...
Note to self: no more sugar free Trident for the dog.
Yeah I've heard about this before. Scary. Everyone spread the word.
Milk bone will have to suffice.
I never drink sugar free stuff myself, either. I just don't trust the stuff. Saccharine was outlawed, but I suspect that many of the substitutes are probably worse.
That's scary. Thanks for posting.
"One dog who had to be euthanized had eaten four large, chocolate-frosted muffins containing about 1 pound of xylitol."
4 muffins with a POUND of sweetener?
I've been trying for years to get my family to stop the sugar-free stuff. I would think that if this kills dogs ... it can't be too good for humans. No?
From Walgreens.com, it uses Sorbitol, Maltitol, and Mannitol for sweetening:
Sorbitol , Gum Base , Maltitol , Mannitol , Artificial Flavoring , Natural Flavoring , Acacia Less Than 2% , Acesulfame Potassium Less Than 2% , Aspartame Less Than 2% , BHT Less Than 2% - to Maintain Freshness , Calcium Casein Peptone-Calcium Phosphate Less Than 2% - Lactose-free Milk Derivative , Candelilla Wax Less Than 2% , Glycerin Less Than 2% , Sodium Stearate Less Than 2% , Titanium Dioxide Less Than 2% - Color
The chocolate itself isn't good for a dog either.
I don't know what would be worse for my Silver, liver failure or death.
I trust a dog can live without a liver after reading this?
Needless to say, sugar-free products may be dangerous to humans too. I heard that you can use sugar-free packets to kill ants. Haven't tried it yet. I usually try to stay away from those things anyway.
I keep my family away from the artificial stuff as well. For me, personally, I have a reaction to it...usually a headache.
I think people freak out too much about chocolate and dogs. I know of several dogs that have eaten large candy bars and were fine or had a little diarrhea. My vet said they have to eat a lot to cause serious problems.
But getting back to my original comment.....a POUND of sweetener?? Who uses a pound?
In some cases, such as chocolate, and perhaps xylitol, the substance is quite ok if you have the enzymes to digest it.
Xylitol is my preferred sweetener - healthier for humans, because we digest it slower than other sugars, so doesn't cause an insulin rush, and because it is not recognized as food by oral bacteria, so doesn't contribute to dental caries. It's a five carbon sugar, unlike other sugars that have six carbons.
A big bar of bitter or semi-sweat cooking chocolate would be more dangerous for a dog.
Google Teflon and parrots. You find all sort of 'proof' that Teflon used in a house with parrots will cause instant death. Same biz with Febreze... instant death!
Would I give my dog a cupcake? No way, I'd give him a pork chop or a beef rib.
Sorbitol , Gum Base , Glycerin , Mannitol , Natural Flavors , Artificial Flavors , Xylitol , Citric Acid , Malic Acid , Acetylated Monoglycerides , Soy Lecithin , Aspartame , Acesulfame Potassium , BHT to Maintain Freshness , Yellow 6 Lake , Yellow 5 Lake , Yellow 5 , Red 40 , Yellow 6 , Blue 1
"Don't give it to your dogs or pet ants. "
LoL. That made me laugh