Skip to comments.Clear Evidence for Creation
Posted on 01/10/2002 11:01:49 AM PST by VaBthang4
EVIDENCE FOR CREATION
1. The Fossil Record Evolutionists have constructed the Geologic Column in order to illustrate the supposed progression of "primitive" life forms to "more complex" systems we observe today. Yet, "since only a small percentage of the earth's surface obeys even a portion of the geologic column the claim of their having taken place to form a continuum of rock/life/time over the earth is therefore a fantastic and imaginative contrivance.1" "[T]he lack of transitional series cannot be explained as being due to the scarcity of material. The deficiencies are real, they will never be filled."2 This supposed column is actually saturated with "polystrate fossils" (fossils extending from one geologic layer to another) that tie all the layers to one time-frame. "[T]o the unprejudiced, the fossil record of plants is in favor of special creation." 3
2. Decay of Earth's Magnetic Field Dr. Thomas Barnes, Emeritus Professor of Physics at the University of Texas at El Paso, has published the definitive work in this field.4 Scientific observations since 1829 have shown that the earth's magnetic field has been measurably decaying at an exponential rate, demonstrating its half-life to be approximately 1,400 years. In practical application its strength 20,000 years ago would approximate that of a magnetic star. Under those conditions many of the atoms necessary for life processes could not form. These data demonstrate that earth's entire history is young, within a few thousand of years.
3. The Global Flood The Biblical record clearly describes a global Flood during Noah's day. Additionally, there are hundreds of Flood traditions handed down through cultures all over the world. 5 M.E. Clark and Henry Voss have demonstrated the scientific validity of such a Flood providing the sedimentary layering we see on every continent. 6 Secular scholars report very rapid sedimentation and periods of great carbonate deposition in earth's sedimentary layers..7 It is now possible to prove the historical reality of the Biblical Flood.8
4. Population Statistics World population growth rate in recent times is about 2% per year. Practicable application of growth rate throughout human history would be about half that number. Wars, disease, famine, etc. have wiped out approximately one third of the population on average every 82 years. Starting with eight people, and applying these growth rates since the Flood of Noah's day (about 4500 years ago) would give a total human population at just under six billion people. However, application on an evolutionary time scale runs into major difficulties. Starting with one "couple" just 41,000 years ago would give us a total population of 2 x 1089. 9The universe does not have space to hold so many bodies.
5. Radio Halos Physicist Robert Gentry has reported isolated radio halos of polonuim-214 in crystalline granite. The half-life of this element is 0.000164 seconds! To record the existence of this element in such short time span, the granite must be in crystalline state instantaneously.10 This runs counter to evolutionary estimates of 300 million years for granite to form.
6. Human Artifacts throughout the Geologic Column Man-made artifacts - such as the hammer in Cretaceous rock, a human sandal print with trilobite in Cambrian rock, human footprints and a handprint in Cretaceous rock point to the fact that all the supposed geologic periods actually occurred at the same time in the recent past.11
7. Helium Content in Earth's Atmosphere Physicist Melvin Cook, Nobel Prize medalist found that helium-4 enters our atmosphere from solar wind and radioactive decay of uranium. At present rates our atmosphere would accumulate current helium-4 amounts in less than 10,000 years.12
8. Expansion of Space Fabric Astronomical estimates of the distance to various galaxies gives conflicting data. 13The Biblical Record refers to the expansion of space by the Creator14. Astrophysicist Russell Humphries demonstrates that such space expansion would dilate time in distant space.15 This could explain a recent creation with great distances to the stars.
9. Design in Living Systems A living cell is so awesomely complex that its interdependent components stagger the imagination and defy evolutionary explanations. A minimal cell contains over 60,000 proteins of 100 different configurations.16 The chance of this assemblage occurring by chance is 1 in 10 4,478,296 .17
10. Design in the Human Brain The human brain is the most complicated structure in the known universe.18 It contains over 100 billion cells, each with over 50,000 neuron connections to other brain cells.19 This structure receives over 100 million separate signals from the total human body every second. If we learned something new every second of our lives, it would take three million years to exhaust the capacity of the human brain. 20 In addition to conscious thought, people can actually reason, anticipate consequences, and devise plans all without knowing they are doing so.21
1Woodmorappe, John, "The Essential Non-Existence of the Evolutionary Uniformitarian Geologic Column: A Quantitative Assessment," Creation Research Society Quarterly, vol. 18, no.1 (Terre Haute, Indiana, June 1981),pp. 46-71
2 Nilsson, N. Heribert, as quoted in Arthur C. Custance, The Earth Before Man, Part II, Doorway Papers, no. 20 (Ontario, Canada: Doorway Publications), p. 51
3Corner, E.J.H., Contemporary Botanical Thought, ed. A.M. MacLeod and L.S. Cobley (Chicago: Quadrangle Books, 1961), p. 97
4Barnes, Thomas, ICR Technical Monograph #4, Origin and Destiny of the Earth's Magnetic Field (2nd edition, 1983)
5Blick, Edward, A Scientific Analysis of Genesis (Oklahoma City: Hearthstone, 1991) p. 103
6Clark, M.E. and Voss, H.D., "Fluid Mechanic Examination of the Tial Mechanism for Producing Mega-Sedimantary Layering" (Third International Conference on Creation, Pittsburg, July 1994)
7Ager, Derek, The Nature of the Stratigraphical Record (New York: John Wiley and Sons) p. 43 and p. 86
8West, John Anthony, Serpent in the Sky: The High Wisdom of Ancient Egypt (New York: Julian Press, 1987) pp. 13-14
9 See Morris, Henry, Scientific Creationism (El Cajon, CA: Master Books)
10Gentry, Robert, Creation's Tiny Mystery (Knoxville, Tenn.: Earth Science Assoc.,1988)
11 Baugh, Carl, Why Do Men Believe Evolution AGAINST ALL ODDS? (Oklahoma City: Hearthstone, 1999)
12Cook, Melvin, "Where is The Earth's Radiogenic Helium?" Nature, Vol. 179, p. 213
13Cowan, R., "Further Evidence of a Youthful Universe," Science News, Vol. 148, p. 166
14Psalm 104:2; Isaiah 40:22
15Humphries, Russell, Starlight and Time (Green Forest, AR: Master Books, 1994)
16Denton, Michael, Evolution: A Theory in Crisis (Bethesda, Maryland: Adler & Adler, 1986) p. 263
17 Mastropaolo, Joseph, "Evolution Is Biologically Impossible," Impact # 317 (El Cajon, CA: Institute For Creation Research,1999) p. 4
18Restak, Richard, The Brain: The Last Frontier, 1979, p. 390
19The Brain, Our Universe Within, PBS Video
20Wonders of God's Creation, Moody Video Series
21Weiss, Joseph, "Unconscious Mental Functioning," Scientific American, March 1990, p. 103
[ Back ]
I could post pages and pages of links and text thorougly debunking everything in the post, but what is the point, really? You're not going to change the mind of a young-earth creationist with actual evidence. And they seem to complain about having to read anything longer than two sentences.
Donnest thou thy flame suit :)
Well, the really cool thing is that everybody on this website will be finding out what the Truth is within 50 to 100 years, max. I'm not worried either way, new creation or old - the important details are already taken care of :)
I will attempt to keep it short for "everyones" benefit. If our mind was to have evolved by mere chance, why should we trust it to provide truth for anything?
So lemme see. The flood laid down the sediments. How, then, in a few thousand years, were those sediments uplifted and then eroded to form the Dakota Hogback that I drive through on I-70 on the way home from work each evening? How did those sediments get all the way to the top of Mount Everest, where they are tilted? How were those sediments deposited, metamorphized, folded and eroded to form the Valley and Ridge province of Pennsylvania? How did a flood create such a variety of sediments, including terrestial dune sandstones that are hundreds and thousands of feet thick on the Colorado Plateau? More nonsense from the creationist wing that looks to science to justify their views instead of just sticking with their Bibles.
2. Decay of Earth's Magnetic Field Earth's magnetic field is maintained by an internal, heat-driven, dynamo. It periodically decays to essentially zero and then reestablishes itself in the opposite polarity. Ample evidence can be found in fossil magnetic fields around continental rifts. The same thing occurs in the sun every 11 years or so. I'm reminded of Mark Twain's observation that, since the Mississippi shortens a mile or so every year, any fool could see that it would be an insignificant creek within a couple of thousand years. Maybe Dr. Thomas Barnes is a fool.
5. Radio Halos Po 214 is present in any uranium-bearing mineral. It goes like this:
U238 -> Th234 -> Pa234 -> U234 -> Th230 -> Ra226 -> Rn222 -> Po218 -> Pb214 -> Bi214 -> Po214
U238 has only decay time in the entire chain long enough to make any difference, but that's billions of years, ample time for crystalization to occur. Robert Gentry is a flake.
7. Helium Content in Earth's Atmosphere Helium is the second lightest gas, having a very high mean thermal speed in the atmosphere. In fact, it's high enough that helium atoms are likely to attain escape velocity and be batted right out of the atmosphere very shortly after they enter the atmosphere. Melvin Cook was a brilliant researcher in high explosives (he invented the ANFO slurry), but he let his religious convictions get the better of his good sense in his dotage, and took to developing a Creationist theory along a science/Latter Day Saint axis. (For instance, he denied that fusion is an important process in the sun, invoking instead a sort of "mystical light" theory for the sun's energy output.)
When I read the assertion that the geologic column is bogus, I knew it was hopeless.
That is exactly what the Romans thought of them.
There would have been 4,900 people to build the Great Pyramid at Khufu (ca. 3200 BC). World population at the time of Christ would have been just under 2 million. World population would have reached 6 billion in 1600 AD. Current would population would be 62 billion!