Your equating things which may be bad or self indulgent with things that are serious sins and counter to major doctrine. It's your post, but it is not consistent. How about being affluent and using a state limo, isn't that contrary to a good catholic life?
posted on 01/11/2004 4:29:49 PM PST
It's your post, but it is not consistent>>
I posted a newspaper article and the position of the NJ Catholic Conference (the media activist arm of the 5 dioceses in NJ). Here is the Catechism of the Catholic Church, you can read that and make your own decision. one of the tentacles of Satan reaching out to us is drug use where it's very insidious in nature and it ruins human lives, the lives in families and fosters people to commit other very grave sins contrary to moral law.
2291 The use of drugs inflicts very grave damage on human health and life. Their use, except on strictly therapeutic grounds, is a grave offense. Clandestine production of and trafficking in drugs are scandalous practices. They constitute direct co-operation in evil, since they encourage people to practices gravely contrary to the moral law.
2211 The political community has a duty to honor the family, to assist it, and to ensure especially:
- the freedom to establish a family, have children, and bring them up in keeping with the family's own moral and religious convictions;
- the protection of the stability of the marriage bond and the institution of the family;
- the freedom to profess one's faith, to hand it on, and raise one's children in it, with the necessary means and institutions;
- the right to private property, to free enterprise, to obtain work and housing, and the right to emigrate;
- in keeping with the country's institutions, the right to medical care, assistance for the aged, and family benefits;
- the protection of security and health, especially with respect to dangers like drugs, pornography, alcoholism, etc.;
- the freedom to form associations with other families and so to have representation before civil authority.
posted on 01/11/2004 4:43:08 PM PST
(Merry Christmas, Jesus is the Reason for the Season, Keep Christ in CHRISTmas and the X's out of it.)
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson