Skip to comments.Canada's Blame Game
Posted on 10/26/2005 4:17:33 AM PDT by NapkinUser
The Toronoto Star reports that the Canadian government is proposing a solution to the country's rising violent crime rate: sue U.S. gunmakers. Prime Minister Paul Martin argues that half of all gun crimes in Canada are committed with weapons obtained illegally from the U.S. and the government is looking to punish manufacturers who produce the guns used in homicides across the border.
But the U.S. ambassador to Canada argues that cracking down on border security would have more impact since most of the weapons coming into Canada are purchased illegally by Canadian citizens and smuggled across the border.
(Excerpt) Read more at foxnews.com ...
Canada already has millions of handguns, and I know a few Canadians who still refuse to give up their concealed carry. They often shoot at the ranges here in New Hampshire, and travel back and forth across the border to do so. But trying to sneak them across the border is a huge risk, and I don't recommend it.
Additionally, sometimes I think that some of our Northern and N.E. state politician suffer from the same disease as their counterparts in Canada.
From the "ah, Duh" category.
So Canada's finest response is to sue the LEGAL company.
Paul Martin is a minority Prime Minister pandering to the
far left NDP, etc. I don't know if he is serious, but its
great politics to say it. What he is serious about is
euthanasia legislation. I guess he wants to make Canada
a western province of the Netherlands.
The Canadian politicians have gone mad
you had to know their buttplug would give out sooner or later
No, this is standard fare from politicians all over the world. Got a major problem in society that not only can you not cure, but have actually contributed to? Find a scapegoat - distract the masses.
It's Bush's fault works quite well. If they can't blame it on Bush directly, then on America in general, particularly American WASP males and the things they stand for, support, need or love.
Canada used to be a great country. Look at the sorry state of its affairs now.
This is a good object lesson of what happens when the socialists acheive power.
This is not the first time this has happened, nor will it be the last, and I am offended by it and burdened by the cost of having to get my car washed as the result of the Canada geese that invade the corporate lawns and parking lots near our office every year.
Can I file a lawsuit against the Canadians for damages incurred when these unwanted Canadian subjects invade our soveriegn territory?
Only seems fair to me.... ;)
"So Canada's finest response is to sue the LEGAL company..."
...operating LEGALLY in another country and selling a LEGAL product that CANADIAN criminals smuggle and traffic illegally.
Makes perfect leftist sense to me.
PM Martin is playing political chess so that the Liberal Party here can stay in office. They blame the US for guns entering New Russia (Canuckistan) illegally across the border and say we do nothing about it. The theme of 'Standing up to those big, nasty, evil Americans is HUGE political capital here, and they will milk the hell out of it.
First, They are full of crap. The number of firearms crossing the border has declined greatly over the past few years.
Second, the ATF has established an office in Toronto and has agreed to share ballistics and firearms info with the Canadians. (i.e. how can they claim we do nothing about it?)
Third, an example of Prime Minister Paul Martin's political rhetoric: 'Up to 50% of the gun crimes in Canada, are committed using firearms brought into the country illegally from the US'.
This is absolute CRAP!!! All this says is that between 0 and 50% of gun crimes here involve illegal US guns. I would wager that it is in the neighborhood of 0 - 0.25%. If it were, it would be all over the headlines here.
Here is a related thread that I posted a few days ago. It is from the Globe and Mail (Toronto) (a very leftist newspaper). Read, and check my links on post #1.
Here is a similar link posted by someone else.
Send them to my duck blind this Saturday morning, I'll find a better solution to that problem of yours!!!
There is no man so good, who, were he to submit all his thoughts and actions
to the laws, would not deserve hanging ten times in his life. -Michel de
Montaigne, essayist (1533-1592)
You only have the rights you are willing to fight for.
FIREARMS REFRESHER COURSE
1. An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.
2. A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.
3. Colt; The original point and click interface.
4. Gun control is not about guns; it's about control.
5. If guns are outlawed, can we use swords?
6. If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words.
7." Free" men do not ask permission to bear arms.
8. If you don't know your rights you don't have any.
9. Those who trade liberty for security have neither.
10. The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights reserved.
11. What part of "shall not be infringed" do you not understand?
12. The Second Amendment is in place in case the politicians ignore the
13. 64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.
14. Guns only have two enemies: rust and politicians.
15. Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety.
16. You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive.
17. 911 - government sponsored Dial-a-Prayer.
18. Assault is a behavior, not a device.
19. Criminals love gun control -- it makes their jobs safer.
20. If guns cause crime, then matches cause arson.
21. Only a government that is afraid of its citizens tries to control them.
22. You only have the rights you are willing to fight for.
23. Enforce the "gun control laws" we have, don't make more.
24. When you remove the people's right to bear arms, you create slaves.
25. The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control.
26. ".. A government of the people, by the people, for the people..."
PLEASE PASS THIS 'REFRESHER' ON TO 10 FREE CITIZENS ...
Keep our service men and women in your prayers.
Nice list, and I agree. That's why I know these Canadians, I'm right next to them dropping mag after mag in my concealed carry, S&W 40.
MP-5 10 Millimeter
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.