I will trust Russia when it does these things:
1. Admit the responsibility for the crimes of communism and allow crimes against humanity trials to proceed, even if the defendants are dead.
2. Stop the sale of weapons to our enemies
3. Destroy all communist symbols, no matter how insignaficant, unless they are placed in a museum
4. Ban the KPRF and all Soviet and Mafia officials from running.
5. Free and fair elections and a free press.
1) When did the American trials for crimes against humanity for say, slavery, take place? Of course, all the participant's are dead, but by your logic, shouldn't they take place as well?
2) We reserve the right to sell weapons to anyone we choose, why should the Russians not have the same right? Of course, both we and the Russians have to take responsibility for who we sell to. But we have no right to dictate to the Russians, any more than they have a right to dictate to us.
3) For instance, medals? Worn by World War II veterans, who won them by their valor? You think that's going to fly? How about if they demand we prohibit all Confederate flags except in museums?
4) We don't ban the CPUSA from running in our elections, why should they ban the RKFP? As for criminals, if they are convicted they shouldn't be able to run. But we also seem to be moving away from the concept that criminals shouldn't be allowed to vote, how long before we let them run for office?
And how about the detail of actually convicting them for crimes before they lose their civil rights, or does that just go by the wayside?
5) Free and fair elections? The Russians might just point at Chicago and laugh. As for the press, is their press any less free than ours?
You don't have to trust the Russians, that's your choice. And I recognize that they and their actions will be in what they perceive to be their self-interest.
If we're going to start dictating to anyone how they run their country, let's start with someone wimpy, like the French, and see how that works out first.
posted on 06/07/2006 3:14:44 PM PDT
(World's only Spatula City certified spatula repair and maintenance specialist!!!)
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson