From my aunt and uncle
Dear Friends, Here is an update on Carrie from her sister. We were over there last week when some of these things happened. One of the nurses thought Carrie seemed "different" one day, more attentive and alert.
We don't know when Carrie will recover. It's just a matter of when, but we know she will recover.
Love, [my aunt and uncle]
From Carrie's sister, L
Our family certainly appreciates every single prayer for us and for Carries healing.
- Carrie wrinkled her nose when someone brought a rose for her to smell
- She shows discomfort [at appropriate times]
- Her skin and hair look great!
- Sometimes she makes little sighing sounds when shes relaxed or happy.
- Her eyes [respond] when a light is shown in each. I remember in the hospital when one pupil was huge and one was tiny and neither would flinch when a light was shown.
- Carries EEG showed brain activity only in her frontal lobe. Interestingly, this is the area of the brain for personality and emotion. The other areas of the brain show diffuse damage and there is no way to determine from this test if she has experienced brain shearing (nerves slicing apart because of the impact of the crash).
- Carrie continues to cough all the time. It is good that she can take care of the extra mucus in her lungs, but we would like her to be fully healthy.
- Carrie is still experiencing tone issues which mean her muscles are stiff and will contract on their own because they have been out of use for so long. Physical therapists work with her legs, and occupational therapists work with her arms, but it is a regular battle to keep Carries muscles relaxed.
- Carrie is going to see a rehab specialist on Friday. This doctor will run several tests to determine what can be done from this point.
Thank you for your continued support. It is so nice to know that were not alone.
C and L (for Mom and Dad)
Father, I lift the whole family to You, asking for Your peace that goes beyond all of our understanding. I pray You will sovereignly work to focus all their attention on You, not on what the doctors say or expect or don't know. Fill everyone with a higher level of faith. You are the Great Physician! In Jesus' Name I come against all discouragement and I draw into each family member, even each doctor or medical person involved, the wisdom and words that You want revealed at this time. I shut the mouth of any lions on the scene which may have no faith in You, and I loose the truth about Carrie's healing process that You know and delight in, to enter into the hearts of all who love her. You are the Resurrection and the Life and it is by Your hand that Carrie lives and breathes today. Thank You, God, for all Your tender mercies. I pray for a renewing of divine patience for her family as they wait for the day when You raise Carrie up again.
I sent this to Carrie's sister today.
God holds all of Carrie's faculties in His hands. I know they did not disappear into oblivion, for even in death all our mental faculties exist and live in our spirits and souls; they are just transferred to a new domain. My prayers are that God continues to restore Carrie's faculties until a day when He commands her whole being to be reunited and the Carrie you have known and LOVED is returned to you again in a Lazarus-type moment.
Thanks so much for the updates. Please let Carrie’s family know our prayers continue each day for her restoration.
I think and pray for her often Gretchen,...I have not forgotten her.
Prayers for Carrie!!!
I join your prayers Gretchen. May Carrie be whole and strong soon.
Notre père, qui êtes aux cieux!
Que votre nom soit sanctificié. Que votre règne vienne.
Que votre volonté soit faite, sur la terre comme au ciel.
Donnez-nous aujourd'hui notre poindre ce jour.
Pardonnez-nous nos offenses, comme nous pardonnons aussi a ceux, qui nous ont offensés,
et ne nous soumetez pas à la tentation, mais délivrez-nous du mal.
Car c'est à toi qu'appartiènne, le régne, la puissance et la gloire, pour les siècles des siècles.
Je vous salue, Marie, pleine de grâces,
le Seigneur est avec vous, vous êtes bénie entre toutes les femmes,
et Jésus le fruit de vos entrailles est béni.
Sainte Marie, Mère de Dieu, priez pour nous pauvres pécheurs,
maintenant, et à l'heure de notre mort. Ainsi-soit-il.
Garde la Foi, mes amis! Nous nous sommes les sauveurs de la République! Maintenant et Toujours!
(Keep the Faith, my friends! We are the saviors of the Republic! Now and Forever!)
LonePalm, le Républicain du verre cassé (The Broken Glass Republican)
Holy Father - we continue to ask that Your spirit sustain Carrie and her family and caregivers, and restore the tissues that were ripped apart. Thank you Lord for all You have done and will continue to do - we know You are faithful. You can be no other.
In Jesus’ name - the name that is above all other names.
More prayers for Carrie and her family.
Thank you for the update, Gretchen!
I want you to know that I have not stopped praying for Carrie, or thinking of her often.
Her family is always in my thoughts and prayers also.
The things you listed that she is doing..or has changed, sure sounds good to me...and reason for optimism.
Keeping Carrie in our prayers.
Thanks for another update. Reading Carrie’s improvements made me smile. Continued prayers being sent your way. Like you said, recovery is just a mater of time. The body sets its own pace or schedule for recovery - not doctors or family or friends (probably for the best, even though it may not always seem or feel that way) - with “gentle” and “gradual” (recovery) being two key words, I believe. Thanks again for keeping us posted!
Prayers continue to go out for Carrie and all her family, friends, therapists, helpers,etc. Every bit of good news is a blessing!!!
Praying with you in agreement for Carrie's complete restoration and for the patience and wisdom needed by all of her family and caretakers. The Lord is faithful and His timing is perfect.
Good evening Gretchen.
So good to hear from you again.
My hopes continue for Carrie and your health as well.
I love how your family hasn’t given up on Carrie.
It’s been a long time now hasn’t it?
When was the accident?
Prayers continue for Carrie and her family each and every day. We await that glorious day when she is made whole in our eyes. We know she is whole in His eyes.
Prayers continue for Carrie and her family.